Used 1994 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Great little car!
By golf_driver

1994 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

I got my Golf as a graduation gift in 2007 and have been fairly happy with it. The guy that owned it before me put a clutch in it after learning how to drive a standard, has some sketchy rust spots (originally a VT car), the engine cuts out at odd moments (due to the MAF sensor), and the radio died a silent death when the battery was disconnected one day. Also, the drivers door lock cylinder comes out with the key and the vacuum-powered locking system doesn't work. Other than that and some routine maintenance, I love my VW and plan on buying a Mk. 4 ASAP. All my friends envy me my sporty little car and want either a Golf or a Jetta now.

8-speaker audio system, the ability to take on just about anything at a two-lane red light, the gas mileage that goes 100 miles on a quarter of a tank, the look and interchangeability of parts with the Jetta (I put in seats and silver gauges from a '98 GT), the aggressive stance and the ride.

More wisely-placed front cup holders!! aftermarket mass airflow sensor, power windows to go with the power sunroof, more durable front spoiler, electric power locks instead of vacuum, and a less unpredictable radio would all be nice.

Great car - I Bought It Twice
By lowblackdub

1994 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

I just re-purchased my 1994 Volkswagen Golf four years after selling it. It was such a good car and the only car I ever regret selling. I've covered 180,000 kms. in it and it has been solid, with no major problems to speak of. It still looks, rides, and runs like it did eleven years ago when I originally purchased it.

I love the fuel mileage, handling, looks, parts availability, and the fact that it is so cheap and easy to maintain.

The car rides and handles like a sportscar (I installed an aftermarket suspension kit), but acceleration is quite poor.

Good and Bad
By Gina

1994 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback

My 1994 Volkswagen Golf is expensive to fix, have has had lots of problems as its mileage increases. However, it is fun to drive, has very good pick up, and is faster than newer cars that I have driven.

The new Golfs are very nice, I wouldn't invest in such an old car unless you are a mechanic.

Typisch Deutsch
By GermanGirl

1994 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

Parts last a long time. Muffler lasted from 94-2003, no expensive repairs. Very fun to drive on the Autobahn. Great gas mileage. Good to take on road trips. This car was built to last. American cars are built to expire.

Gas mileage.

Better electric system.

Good car as long as nothing breaks
By Andrewx5

1994 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback

This car is great as long as you don't have to replace parts. Volkswagen parts are through the roof! I love my VW, but I need to part with it to get a car that has affordable parts.

Interior size vs. small size of the car Fun to Drive Excellent ride...Definitely a German Car

Cheaper replacement parts High mile cars be wary...