Lives up to its reviews ...
By bwilken on
2012 Volkswagen Golf R 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)
I just drove home in a fully loaded Type R. It's everything I expected. While I'll wait a bit before sticking my foot in the firewall, the car seems to get up and go pretty much as reviewers have reported. Handling, fit and finish are great too. Ride is pretty much comparable to my Mercedes 350SLK, firm but not punishing. The user interface to the car's nav, stereo, etc. is first rate, better thought out than my Audi's MMI. I'm hard pressed to figure, however, why VW failed to include a Homelink transmitter.
Favorite Features
AWD with a 6-speed manual tranny, a combo that has all but disappeared from the market. Additionally, the car's ergonomics are great both for 6' 210 pound me and my 5'1" 105 pound wife who will use the car as her daily driver.
Suggested Improvements
Offer three options: (1) a power seat; (2) a Homelink transmitter; and (3) a variable rate suspension. Unfortunately, America's roads don't measure up to those in the Fatherland. Travel on a road with miles of bad expansion joints would not be pleasant. Quiet down the car's boy-racer exhaust note that is too evident during city driving. Alternatively provide a driver cut-out option for those who think echo cans are sophisticated stuff.
By srr3306
on 03/02/12 19:38 PM (PST)

oh lay off. I just drove home my new R. The review is spot on. Compared to my Mini S, the R is no quicker off the line, but after the blower kicks in, you get nicely pinned to those comfy seats. I agree in a car at this price point, the lack of homelink and auto-dimming mirrors is quite lame.

By donniebee
on 05/19/12 12:02 PM (PDT)

A true Rally Car for the Road! The suspension is perfect. Wheels are towed out just enought to make cornering a real joy, and keep you wondering just how much faster you can do it next time. The breaks are big, serious , and powerful, bringing you to a standstill in brainpan compressing style. The steering is so positive as to leave you wondering where the car starts and you end. The seats hold you in place in any circumstance, and remain comfortable even after a full day at the track, or in the twisties of southern Ohio where I drove it. The AWD system keeps the car glued down in a way I have only experienced in one other car, and it was not a street car. All in all my review is 5 out of 5 stars. I am still amazed at the unapologetic ignorance of the american car buyer. This is a purpose built, no frills, German Hot Hatch SPORTS CAR with a history long enough to have earned the respect of the very best drivers the world over. It is simply the finest car of its kind in the world. Hands down. It is a LIMITED production(for a company the size of VAG, with only 5,000 made for the entire model year. When the designers of this car read reviews like the ones above, I am sure they are smiling self satisfied smiles, thinking they achieved exactly what they set out to achieve. A car only truly understood and appreciated by a true driving enthusiast.