Used 2012 Volkswagen Golf R Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Golf R Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf R model:

Hole in one
By hadalotofcars

2012 Volkswagen Golf R Hatchback 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

For me, when it comes to driving a smaller car, I used to get nervous - poor performance coupled with inexpensive looks and low-end interiors. I reluctantly paid the premium for the Golf R Nav 4-Dr. After trekking home 8 hours from 3 states away, sleeping off the payment shock, and ignoring the guilt, I am relieved that I adore the car.

-4 motion - no tire jump in wet weather -Styling - it's as fun to look at as drive -Anticipated resale value though I may have to keep this one -Never having to use the key to open the door -Awesome headlights

Move the push button starter to somewhere else, add a full power seat, install a switch for the soundaktor, upgrade to HD radio

Down sizing to a Golf R has been pain free 4/25/12
By mlc55

2012 Volkswagen Golf R Hatchback 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've only had mine since Saturday 4/21/12 and it was a fluke that I got it. I believe is the first sold in AR. I've owned a '91 Galant VR4 (modded) and most recently an Infiniti FX45 so I'm not a stranger to powerful AWD cars, but both past cars lacked in handling. I was looking at a WRX but it seemed cheap inside. This Golf is very nice fit & finish inside, handles really well, and eagerly accelerates, redline comes quick. I don't really notice any noisiness, have used the bluetooth featurewith the windows down while winding out 4th gear. I didn't really need a GPS, Sunroof, or dynaudio. The carbon steel gray metallic paint give's it that serious machine look. This is my new daily driver.

engine power, smooth and easy shifting 6-speed, Driver's seat fit, head lights that aim where you steer, AWD, LED Daytime running lights, 3 yr maintenance included, The buying experience at NorthPoint was outstanding.

A car with the Golf R specs shouldn't be sold with "H" rated tires. Auto-on headlights would be nice.

Lives up to its reviews ...
By bwilken

I just drove home in a fully loaded Type R. It's everything I expected. While I'll wait a bit before sticking my foot in the firewall, the car seems to get up and go pretty much as reviewers have reported. Handling, fit and finish are great too. Ride is pretty much comparable to my Mercedes 350SLK, firm but not punishing. The user interface to the car's nav, stereo, etc. is first rate, better thought out than my Audi's MMI. I'm hard pressed to figure, however, why VW failed to include a Homelink transmitter.

AWD with a 6-speed manual tranny, a combo that has all but disappeared from the market. Additionally, the car's ergonomics are great both for 6' 210 pound me and my 5'1" 105 pound wife who will use the car as her daily driver.

Offer three options: (1) a power seat; (2) a Homelink transmitter; and (3) a variable rate suspension. Unfortunately, America's roads don't measure up to those in the Fatherland. Travel on a road with miles of bad expansion joints would not be pleasant. Quiet down the car's boy-racer exhaust note that is too evident during city driving. Alternatively provide a driver cut-out option for those who think echo cans are sophisticated stuff.