2012 Volkswagen Golf R Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf R model:
Hole in one
By hadalotofcars on 10/26/12 16:40 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Golf R Hatchback 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

For me, when it comes to driving a smaller car, I used to get nervous - poor performance coupled with inexpensive looks and low-end interiors. I reluctantly paid the premium for the Golf R Nav 4-Dr. After trekking home 8 hours from 3 states away, sleeping off the payment shock, and ignoring the guilt, I am relieved that I adore the car.

Down sizing to a Golf R has been pain free 4/25/12
By mlc55 on 04/25/12 19:53 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Golf R Hatchback 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've only had mine since Saturday 4/21/12 and it was a fluke that I got it. I believe is the first sold in AR. I've owned a '91 Galant VR4 (modded) and most recently an Infiniti FX45 so I'm not a stranger to powerful AWD cars, but both past cars lacked in handling. I was looking at a WRX but it seemed cheap inside. This Golf is very nice fit & finish inside, handles really well, and eagerly accelerates, redline comes quick. I don't really notice any noisiness, have used the bluetooth featurewith the windows down while winding out 4th gear. I didn't really need a GPS, Sunroof, or dynaudio. The carbon steel gray metallic paint give's it that serious machine look. This is my new daily driver.

Lives up to its reviews ...
By bwilken on 01/28/12 14:45 PM (PST)

I just drove home in a fully loaded Type R. It's everything I expected. While I'll wait a bit before sticking my foot in the firewall, the car seems to get up and go pretty much as reviewers have reported. Handling, fit and finish are great too. Ride is pretty much comparable to my Mercedes 350SLK, firm but not punishing. The user interface to the car's nav, stereo, etc. is first rate, better thought out than my Audi's MMI. I'm hard pressed to figure, however, why VW failed to include a Homelink transmitter.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Volkswagen Golf R Hatchback in VA is:

$130 per month*