Used 2012 Volkswagen GLI Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen GLI Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GLI model:

VW 2012 GLI
By sh2013

2012 Volkswagen GLI Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I was looking for a car a) Under 25k MSRP, b) Sedan c) sporty engine with a slick 6 speed d) independent suspension e) At least 30 +/- 2 MPG highway f) FWD with some form of LSD Your options are slim - I ended up having to choose between an Si and a GLI (Focus is close). Main diff between the 2 is the engine/power band feel in day to day life - Free revving Nat Asp. Si vs. turbo 2.0T, low end torque vs. high end power. In the end, GLI has a better interior than current Si, I could not wait for re-designed Civic, which is out in the fall and VW had better financing. If you plan to keep it for 100K, I recommend extra warranty.- Entitles you to lower APR's in some regions; check with dealer.

a) People have historically criticized VW for their looks by calling the styling bland. As a person looking for a car that did not yell out "Look at my ride with hood air scoops (or) big rear spoilers", the VW styling was just right. Majority of current designs are adhering to the "Fluidic" theme with its overly curved shape and cacophony of character lines. In the midst of all this it was nice to find the GLI with its simple yet elegant design. I like the appearance kit and I would recommend it. b) 6 speed - I still maintain that Hondas have the best shifters in the segment but VW 6 speed is not far behind. c) Seats - Absolutely brilliant ! d) Engine - Wide power band and good acoustics

a) Brakes - Way too soft. I initially thought that with a few hundred miles, the feel would get better. But with close to 2k miles, the overall feel, stopping power is disappointing. b) Tires - Optional perf. tires would have been a plus. Civic Si offers it as an optional trim. c) Re-positioned armrest - I drive over 20K/year and it is important to have a good driving posn. Current fixed arm rest is a little further behind and for someone <6', it is hard to rest your arm on it with the best seat posn. d) Build quality - Not great! Roads I drive on are not great BUT 2 rattles after 2k miles is unacceptable ! e) Interior plastics - Gaze below the soft dash and the plastic is shocking !

Great for what I need!
By vdubtsi

2012 Volkswagen GLI Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

First off I have only had my new GLI for a month. Interior quality is much better than the standard Jetta models. The 6 speed m/t shifts smooth with long throws. The gearing is quite tall for a "performance" minded vehicle. Thankfully the 2.0TSI produces a flat torque curve to overcome the long gears. Fuel economy has been quite good so far with a combined average of 28.2 mpg. The ride handling balance is quite good with a nice firm ride and accurate steering. I'm 6'6" tall and have plenty of front leg space. Seats are firm and made for slender guys like myself. All in all good car for what it is!

The fat, flat bottom steering wheel with multifunction controls. GLI models come with a full feature VW info lcd screen with vehicle setup. The engine sound whilst under hard acceleration. Good fuel economy and cruising range. Midrange power and torque. Touchscreen radio with SiriusXm. Good passenger space. Rear armrest with cupholder.

More power with shorter gearing. More places to store stuff in interior. Make HID lighting a option. GLI should have auto climate control with heated seats standard in all trim levels. Low front clip requires you to avoid parking near parking stops/curbs.