Used 2012 Volkswagen GLI Autobahn PZEV Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen GLI Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GLI model:

Fantastic sub $30k sport sedan!!
By jhatfie

2012 Volkswagen GLI Sedan Autobahn PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned several performance sedans through the years including a current generation Nissan Maxima SV with sport package, 07 'Civic SI, 05' Subaru Legacy GT Limited, Mazdaspeed 6. I was able to grab this 12' GLI Autobahn for $23500 which is a steal honestly for what you get. Coming from my SI, the GLI has way more torque and much better gas mileage while having equal handling, but with better interior materials. I average 29mpg in mixed driving and on straight freeway trips usually see 34-35mpg and as high as 37mpg. Had the APR stage 1 ECU update done and the car is a rocket now without even a dent in gas mileage. Some interior plastics could be better but overall a great car!

Fuel economy, seats, motor, handling.

Rear AC vents, xenon headlights, better sound proofing, better interior plastics.

Worth the test-drive!
By georgekm

2012 Volkswagen GLI Sedan Autobahn PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

So I recently got engaged and decided to sell my 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6-speed manual, which I loved. I looked at the following: Kia Optima, Chevy Cruze, Nissan Altima, Honda Accord, Honda Civic, BMW 3-series, Jetta, and Acura TSX. My criteria: had to be 4 door sedan, and had to be manual transmision. I get so tired of salesmen trying to sell me on tiptronic fake manual transmissions! I test drove all of those cars, and I was very close to getting a kia, however, the only way to get a 6speed was getting the base model with plastic hubcaps. I went to VW with my fiance, we drove the 5 speed SE Jetta, and was bored. Then... I saw the GLI and was instantly in love.

The exterior and interior was incredibly sexy, nice body kit, the GLI is lower by, I think, .6 inches, and the 18 inch rims just was icing on the cake for me. The red-stiching interior on the black leather was also awesome, and there was a noticible difference and improvement in initial quality of interior - dashboard, steering wheel, seats, center console, and even the odometer was sexier! The 6-speed gear box was incredibly smooth, and although my fiance cannot drive a manual, she new how to chance gears when I told her to and she was even amazed at how much fun it was. The suspension was much improved to the Jetta SE, and the ride, the turbo engine, and sound of the engine/exhuast

was all amazing. She knew after my 3 weeks of research I had found my match. The Fender-sound system is amazing and also has a great sub to add incredible bass if you like, the back seat is huge, as most reviews have pointed out. I just returned from Charleston, SC for a wedding and it was a fantastic road trip car, drove 6 hours there and 6 hours back... and not to mention the head turns I would get from others (driving Auidis, other Jettas, BMWs, and even one guy driving a Porchse!) all their heads turned as I would drive by. The 0-60 is a bit slower than my 2006 G35, however, it doesn't FEEL like it at all! The turbo is fun to drive and I highly recommend test driving this car!!!