2012 Volkswagen GLI Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GLI model:
My 2012 GLI Autobahn
By faautobahn on 03/03/13 05:46 AM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen GLI Sedan Autobahn 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Originally ordered GLI Autobahn with Nav in Aug'11 when 2012 GLI was announced but that, in particular, and other GLI models were extremely difficult to be found. Car has done 8500 miles, and am overall quite satisfied with it. Had two main issues: bass spkr used to break even when played at normal sound levels, and rear attachment inside on top of right rear tire came off at 4000 miles making scrapping sound with tire when four people would sit. First issue was somewhat fixed by dealer, and second was completely fixed by replacing attachment under warranty. Of course not a BMW/Audi but an excellent value. Paid 29200 out of door including NJ sales tax. Car has performed very well.

Loving the GLI!!!
By dawookiee15 on 12/10/12 15:13 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen GLI Sedan Autobahn PZEV 4dr Sedan w/Nav (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I really love my GLI - it looks great, I get asked questions about it all the time and it gets second glances in parking lots and driving by. The 2.0 turbo engine is an absolute peach, don't be fooled by its relatively low power numbers, it pulls effortlessly. There are also a great variety of modifications available if thats your kind of thing. The DSG transmission takes some getting used to but it shifts extremely fast and smooth. The manual would be nice but it feels kind of rubbery. Ride comfort is OK. The car is a blast on the back roads with scalpel-precise steering. Great seats, decent interface, and a ton of trunk space make it practical as well. Overall very happy.

Fantastic sub $30k sport sedan!!
By jhatfie on 04/26/12 15:27 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen GLI Sedan Autobahn PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned several performance sedans through the years including a current generation Nissan Maxima SV with sport package, 07 'Civic SI, 05' Subaru Legacy GT Limited, Mazdaspeed 6. I was able to grab this 12' GLI Autobahn for $23500 which is a steal honestly for what you get. Coming from my SI, the GLI has way more torque and much better gas mileage while having equal handling, but with better interior materials. I average 29mpg in mixed driving and on straight freeway trips usually see 34-35mpg and as high as 37mpg. Had the APR stage 1 ECU update done and the car is a rocket now without even a dent in gas mileage. Some interior plastics could be better but overall a great car!

VW 2012 GLI
By sh2013 on 04/14/12 15:12 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen GLI Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I was looking for a car a) Under 25k MSRP, b) Sedan c) sporty engine with a slick 6 speed d) independent suspension e) At least 30 +/- 2 MPG highway f) FWD with some form of LSD Your options are slim - I ended up having to choose between an Si and a GLI (Focus is close). Main diff between the 2 is the engine/power band feel in day to day life - Free revving Nat Asp. Si vs. turbo 2.0T, low end torque vs. high end power. In the end, GLI has a better interior than current Si, I could not wait for re-designed Civic, which is out in the fall and VW had better financing. If you plan to keep it for 100K, I recommend extra warranty.- Entitles you to lower APR's in some regions; check with dealer.

Phantom Red
By jcwcoupe on 03/28/12 21:14 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen GLI Sedan PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Bought My GLI over the Mini Cooper Clubman "S", I Love the dynamic stability control (dsc), The DSC Transmission is what "sold Me" and Pushed me toward the GLI, and away from my favorite Car, Mini Cooper "s".. Who Knew..BUT My Next Two door car will be 2020 John Cooper Works Coupe. Another reason besides the DSC, is the cargo space I Needed, being a stay-at-home-dad, and the roomy back seat in the four door GLI, and the trunk cargo area....the Mini Clubman can't compare.

Fantastic sport sedan
By tastycakes55 on 02/08/12 09:22 AM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen GLI Sedan Autobahn 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

In a perfect world, everyone could afford a 65k BMW M3. If you're like me, you want a fun to drive car which gets good mileage & doubles as a family car and doesn't cost a ton, the GLI autobahn hits on all counts. This car tells you what to expect when you turn the ignition and it lets out a low growl, and it will make the chore of driving around town an absolute pleasure. Around town it hugs turns and twisties and gets up and goes as fast as any other sedan in its class. Was easy to install car seats making the wife happy. It may be a Jetta but has a distinctive enough look that it turns heads. I'm a bit concerned about reliability long term, but bought a warranty for peace of mind.

Great for what I need!
By vdubtsi on 11/20/11 11:12 AM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen GLI Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

First off I have only had my new GLI for a month. Interior quality is much better than the standard Jetta models. The 6 speed m/t shifts smooth with long throws. The gearing is quite tall for a "performance" minded vehicle. Thankfully the 2.0TSI produces a flat torque curve to overcome the long gears. Fuel economy has been quite good so far with a combined average of 28.2 mpg. The ride handling balance is quite good with a nice firm ride and accurate steering. I'm 6'6" tall and have plenty of front leg space. Seats are firm and made for slender guys like myself. All in all good car for what it is!

Worth the test-drive!
By georgekm on 09/12/11 06:35 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen GLI Sedan Autobahn PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

So I recently got engaged and decided to sell my 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6-speed manual, which I loved. I looked at the following: Kia Optima, Chevy Cruze, Nissan Altima, Honda Accord, Honda Civic, BMW 3-series, Jetta, and Acura TSX. My criteria: had to be 4 door sedan, and had to be manual transmision. I get so tired of salesmen trying to sell me on tiptronic fake manual transmissions! I test drove all of those cars, and I was very close to getting a kia, however, the only way to get a 6speed was getting the base model with plastic hubcaps. I went to VW with my fiance, we drove the 5 speed SE Jetta, and was bored. Then... I saw the GLI and was instantly in love.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Volkswagen GLI Sedan in VA is:

$149 per month*