62k Miles & Still goin' Strong.
By jdubbs19 on
2008 Volkswagen GLI 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 04/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)
I know the title of the review doesn't seem too impressive, but for all the VW nay-sayers it's saying something. This is my 2nd review on the car, the original being back in 12/2007. My overall stance on the car has not changed in the few years and 60,000 miles that have passed. My car still consumes very little to no oil within the 5k mile oil change intervals and has not had a mechanical break down. Some of the parts on the car have needed to be changed however (trunk gas struts, valve cover gasket & electronic door lock module). If you're looking at one second hand, check for oil leaks or slower performance/lower gas mileage (carbon buildup issue). Still 30ish MPG, still a sweet ride.
Favorite Features
2.0T FSI is onsistently strong and efficient engine (although I've heard the TSI is easier and cheaper to operate), Comfortable cruiser and canyon carver, Thoughtfully engineered and featured.
Suggested Improvements
Expensive to maintain (synthetic oil, low profile tires cost adds up), VW reliability is still being proven, further differentiation between Jetta and GLI trims. (A word about it being expensive to maintain, the newer domestics from Ford & GM are requiring synthetic oil and fitting their cars with low-pro's too... so I guess they'll cost just as much to maintain)