Used 2008 Volkswagen GLI Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen Gli - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GLI model:

Very happy customer
By DanB

2008 Volkswagen GLI 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 04/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I bought my car about 2 months ago - I couldn't be happier. The DSG is a blast. I also like the sound of the engine when in Sport mode... I was comparing the Subaru WRX and the GLI for quite a while. The only advantage of the WRX is the AWD. Everything else is better in the GLI. The biggest difference is the interior - the WRX looks like a Toys”R”us car inside. Plus GLI has wider rubber and much nicer rims, cleaner and nicer exterior look and I also got a decent deal on it. I like driving it hard on curvy roads - it has lots of grip and I am having a blast. Is the first car I've had that after two months I still can't wait to get behind the wheel.

Favorite Features

Dual Clutch DSG Transmission, Turbo Engine, Sports Steering Wheel, Sport Bucket Seats, Alloy Foot Pedals, Red Brake Calipers, Sports Suspension, Paddle Shifters, Satellite Radio, IPOD Adapter

Suggested Improvements

???

Awesome car
By Josh

2008 Volkswagen GLI 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 04/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I leased my Black 6-speed manual GLI starting in March and absolutely love the car. I really wanted a GTI, but the dealer didn't have any, and the test drive of the GLI sold me. The engine is perfect for this car, and the gas mileage is surprisingly good considering the power the engine has (26-27 mpg for the first 1000 miles). The steering and handling feel tight, and the ride is very well controlled. Coming from a Honda, the VW's interior is worlds superior in terms of amenities and build quality. The interior lighting, interlagos cloth seats, HID headlights, red break calipers, 8-way adjustable seats and their comfort and details that really set this car apart. Recommended!

Favorite Features

2.0T FSI engine, 6-speed manual gearbox, steering and handling, HID, Sirius integration, auxiliary input, interlagos plaid seats, interior lighting, satellite audio controls on steering wheel, heated seats, trunk space, gas mileage, can roll windows up and down with key (and auto/up down for all 4)

Suggested Improvements

Adjustable armrest feel like it will break if you lean on it too hard, better cup holder location, recommendation for premium fuel (i use regular without a real noticeable of a hit in performance). Intermittent buzzing from driver door speaker.

Awesome Ride
By Mireyaco

2008 Volkswagen GLI 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 04/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

For six months I shopped, researched, test drove many cars. I was leaning towards an Audi A4 with an S Package but decided to check out the vdubs too. It's a true German car with all it's high quality materials and engineering. The frame is solid steel and when you open and close the door you can feel its a well built car and not a Japanese thin framed vehicle. The GLI comes with a turbo engine, a DSG dual clutch transmission that can shift faster than any human. The sport's suspension and the Pirelli tires make the GLI handle nicely. I ended up purchasing the GLI two months ago and have no regrets. It handles like the Audi A4 but $10,000 cheaper and better on the pocket book.

Favorite Features

Turbo Engine, Dual Clutch DSG Transmission, Sports Steering Wheel, Sport Bucket Seats, Alloy Foot Pedals, Red Brake Calipers, Sports Suspension, Paddle Shifters, Satellite Radio, IPOD Adapter

Suggested Improvements

Night Head Lights do not turn off automatically, premium gas recommended for better performance.

VolksWagen makes a GREAT Sports Sedan
By MCO

2008 Volkswagen GLI 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 04/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

While walking down the lot I noticed the GLI, test drove it and fell in love with the car and how it handled. WOW! This car is amazing. It's a true German car with all its high quality materials and engineering. The frame is solid steel and when you open and close the door you can feel it's a well built car and not a Japanese thin framed vehicle. The GLI comes with a four cylinder turbo engine, a DSG dual clutch transmission that can shift faster than any human. The sports suspension and the Pirelli tires allow the GLI to handle very much like a sports sedan which I was very impressed. I ended up purchasing the GLI since it was $10,000 cheaper than the Audi and handled better.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Night Head Lights do not turn off automatically, premium gas recommended for better performance and extended warranty since vdubs are known to be expensive to repair.

Loving every minute
By warren

2008 Volkswagen GLI 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 04/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I picked up my Black 08' GLI with manual transmission and the autobahn package this weekend and it has been a dream come true. The quality of this automobile is outstanding and you feel it the moment you shut the door. The engine is responsive and quick and the steering is sharp and precise. The fit and finish are outstanding. The stereo and displays are loud and clear. I had to travel to get my car and the 350 mile drive home was heaven and I even got 29 miles per gallon to boot! If you want the best Germany can offer for much less than a BMW, this is your car. You will not be disappointed.

Favorite Features

Appearance, handling, strong and even acceleration, denver wheels, blue display, stereo

Suggested Improvements

Nothing as yet!