2008 Volkswagen GLI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GLI model:
Very happy customer
By DanB on 04/24/08 14:59 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GLI 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 04/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I bought my car about 2 months ago - I couldn't be happier. The DSG is a blast. I also like the sound of the engine when in Sport mode... I was comparing the Subaru WRX and the GLI for quite a while. The only advantage of the WRX is the AWD. Everything else is better in the GLI. The biggest difference is the interior - the WRX looks like a Toys”R”us car inside. Plus GLI has wider rubber and much nicer rims, cleaner and nicer exterior look and I also got a decent deal on it. I like driving it hard on curvy roads - it has lots of grip and I am having a blast. Is the first car I've had that after two months I still can't wait to get behind the wheel.

Awesome car
By Josh on 04/22/08 13:33 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GLI 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 04/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I leased my Black 6-speed manual GLI starting in March and absolutely love the car. I really wanted a GTI, but the dealer didn't have any, and the test drive of the GLI sold me. The engine is perfect for this car, and the gas mileage is surprisingly good considering the power the engine has (26-27 mpg for the first 1000 miles). The steering and handling feel tight, and the ride is very well controlled. Coming from a Honda, the VW's interior is worlds superior in terms of amenities and build quality. The interior lighting, interlagos cloth seats, HID headlights, red break calipers, 8-way adjustable seats and their comfort and details that really set this car apart. Recommended!

Awesome Ride
By Mireyaco on 04/16/08 20:43 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GLI 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 04/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

For six months I shopped, researched, test drove many cars. I was leaning towards an Audi A4 with an S Package but decided to check out the vdubs too. It's a true German car with all it's high quality materials and engineering. The frame is solid steel and when you open and close the door you can feel its a well built car and not a Japanese thin framed vehicle. The GLI comes with a turbo engine, a DSG dual clutch transmission that can shift faster than any human. The sport's suspension and the Pirelli tires make the GLI handle nicely. I ended up purchasing the GLI two months ago and have no regrets. It handles like the Audi A4 but $10,000 cheaper and better on the pocket book.

VolksWagen makes a GREAT Sports Sedan
By MCO on 04/06/08 20:07 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GLI 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 04/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

While walking down the lot I noticed the GLI, test drove it and fell in love with the car and how it handled. WOW! This car is amazing. It's a true German car with all its high quality materials and engineering. The frame is solid steel and when you open and close the door you can feel it's a well built car and not a Japanese thin framed vehicle. The GLI comes with a four cylinder turbo engine, a DSG dual clutch transmission that can shift faster than any human. The sports suspension and the Pirelli tires allow the GLI to handle very much like a sports sedan which I was very impressed. I ended up purchasing the GLI since it was $10,000 cheaper than the Audi and handled better.

Loving every minute
By warren on 04/01/08 19:23 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GLI 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 04/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I picked up my Black 08' GLI with manual transmission and the autobahn package this weekend and it has been a dream come true. The quality of this automobile is outstanding and you feel it the moment you shut the door. The engine is responsive and quick and the steering is sharp and precise. The fit and finish are outstanding. The stereo and displays are loud and clear. I had to travel to get my car and the 350 mile drive home was heaven and I even got 29 miles per gallon to boot! If you want the best Germany can offer for much less than a BMW, this is your car. You will not be disappointed.

First Test Drove
By First Test Drove on 03/14/08 20:31 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GLI PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I've mainly purchased BMWs and Audis, probably a good reason for that. My wife and I test drove the 08 GLI 4dr with DSG. Transmission was fairly jumpy in my mind, breaks were not as solid, and the handling was very loose. Of course I'm coming from a 06 325i and comparing it to this VW. In my mind it isn't as sporty as some people think it is or handles as well. A vehicle that compares well to BMW that is not an Audi or Mercedes, is the 08 Mini Cooper S AM. I was very impressed with this vehicle and probably will purchase one. And I know that VW makes Audi and etc. But transmissions are different, i don't think the DSG compares well enough to Audi's tiptronic nor BWM's SMG. Sorry.

My first German car
By Pinoy on 02/29/08 12:32 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen GLI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I just purchased the VW GLI 08 and drove it everyday for 3 weeks now. This is my first German car coming from Japanese cars. So far, I love this car with its 200HP turbo engine; nice interior, 10 speaker premium sound system, sirius radio, and cool 18" wheels. This is also my first to drive a sports sedan with stiffer suspension where you really feel the road imperfections. I guess they will have to do a better job fixing the roads.

VW Does it Again
By 04texag on 02/24/08 06:17 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen GLI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I had a 00 VW GTI VR6, and this GLI in my opinion captures the essence of that car, and builds upon what it did right. The exterior of the "jetta" is not my favorite, but this GLI has enough touches to make it sharp. This is a practical sedan that screams to be driven. I owned an 04 BMW 330i with lim. ed. perform package, this is essentially what this VW offers, and a far greater value. To have power to go, but still get great gas mileage is huge in today's economy. The dsg transmission is phenomenal. I'm still breaking mine in, but the speed of shifts is like driving an arcade video game car! My wife was not happy about the purchase, until she saw it and drove it for the first time!

Great Bang for the Buck
By jk65 on 02/14/08 10:01 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen GLI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I could not be more satisfied with my 2008 GLI, it has met or exceeded all my expectations of it thus far. I had a small issue with some interior bits (all cosmetic), but that was quickly fixed by the dealership, so it was never a problem. I've put about 4,000 miles on the beast in 2.5 months, and the only way I can describe the experience is that I look forward to, and find excuses for driving. This car is a great bargain with minimal equipment added, but even fully loaded (just under 30k or so) it's a steal. If you are looking at similar-sized sport sedans, then make sure you take a test-drive in the GLI, you WILL be converted.

2008 GLI is the best one yet!
By gswonsn on 01/11/08 20:46 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen GLI 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 04/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have driven my 2008 GLI just over 5000 miles, including just over 3000 from Atlanta to San Francisco. It hasn't used any oil and I was averaged 25.75 mpg with both city and highway driving. It is more comfortable than the '07 that I had and it is so great to have the cruise control back on the turn signal stalk. I do miss the dual zone Climatronic, but I was easily able to stay comfortable during my drive. The seats are supportive enough that I never really tired even after one day of being in it for almost 14 hours straight. I couldn't believe that I was not more fatigued after that. It is fast, fun and I think pretty economical on gas. It is a real winner!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Volkswagen GLI in VA is:

$140 per month*