Used 2008 Volkswagen GLI PZEV Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen GLI Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GLI model:

08 GLI (Trigger)
By Tidge

2008 Volkswagen GLI Sedan PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I loved the car when I first bought it, since I worked for Vw at the time. It handles great and has great throttle response. The color of the gauges at night are super cool. I like the ease of controls from the steering wheel instead of having to fiddle with the main controls. One thing that has bothered me is 8 months ago from July 1st 2009, is that it started having problems. Tonight while coming from work the display said stop engine, oil pressure etc. For an 08 GLI w/ 30K thats awful. Make sure you check you oil people. I drive only 5K per oil change as told to and Somehow I'm on the minimum part of dipstick!!

Improve the wiring in the car. Do extended amounts of testing.

Needs more 12v plug ins
By Dan

2008 Volkswagen GLI Sedan PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Fun fun to drive ! Solidly built car. Plenty of trunk space. ESP system helps on off ramp bursts. Traction control works like it should in snow.It corners on rails. I'm a little heavy on the foot and I still get 27 mpg.Very quiet engine to a point you'll forget you have 6 speeds . Kelly book also rated it as one of the highest resale value. Oh and it should come with speeding tickets included

Style, comfort,and great on gas even when your speeding along. Very well built.

1 :It needs more then one 12v plug in, for accessories like charger , radar detector. 2: exterior door trim to spot dings 3:automatic exterior lights 4:home link (garage door opener)

Fun ride, great mpg, huge trunk,
By Nick

2008 Volkswagen GLI Sedan PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I don't think you can buy a car this good for the price. VW did a great job tuning the power band on this car. I also got the newest 2.0 CCTA TSI engine which is featured in the late 2008 GLI and the 2009 Jetta 2.0T models. This engine has the timing chain, rather than a belt, and a few other upgrades to the engine.This car is safe, powerful, handles well, comfortable, looks good, luxurious enough, and has a huge trunk. My family member used to own a 3 series BMW and this car is just is good for about $15,000 less. If you want to be the person who says "look at me"! and overpay just for a nameplate, get a BMW. If you want a great all around sports sedan and pay a lot less, check out the GLI

-Turbo engine w/great power band -Momo steering wheel -Supportive sport bucket seats -Heated seats -Premium sound system -6 airbags -VW sport-tuned Handling -Bi-xenon Headlights -The biggest trunk you may ever see on a sports sedan

The stock Michelin tires on the 17" wheels could be a bit stickier. Headlights seem to be aimed a bit too low

Fun and Sporty Car
By Tidge

2008 Volkswagen GLI Sedan PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I drive my car everyday. City mileage I get about 24.4 and city averaging 35.5 doing 70 mph. I like how the car just with the tap of the throttle likes to take off. It has great handling, very little under/over steer. The ESP option is great for dirt and gravel roads, helps with sticking to the road. Since New Years Eve of 2008 I have put al ot of miles on the car. It has held up with no problem and does extremely well on the highway. Gas mileage isn't what I'm used to from my last car I owned. Yet the car gets compliments often and will be with me for a long time.

My favorite features would be the ESP control button. When winter comes around, turn it off and let the car loose in a parking lot. The 4 wheel disc brakes work wonders for though that like the track. I do like the DRL lights, they seem to provide a little more safety to the car.

The only thing I would suggest would be a little more aggressive style with autobahn packages available or a VR6 engine option. If they brought back the VR6 engine I'd buy a couple more.