Used 2008 Volkswagen GLI Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen Gli - Consumer Reviews

2008 Volkswagen GLI Sedan

View reviews for a specific GLI model:

62k Miles & Still goin' Strong.
By jdubbs19

2008 Volkswagen GLI Sedan 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 04/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I know the title of the review doesn't seem too impressive, but for all the VW nay-sayers it's saying something. This is my 2nd review on the car, the original being back in 12/2007. My overall stance on the car has not changed in the few years and 60,000 miles that have passed. My car still consumes very little to no oil within the 5k mile oil change intervals and has not had a mechanical break down. Some of the parts on the car have needed to be changed however (trunk gas struts, valve cover gasket & electronic door lock module). If you're looking at one second hand, check for oil leaks or slower performance/lower gas mileage (carbon buildup issue). Still 30ish MPG, still a sweet ride.

Favorite Features

2.0T FSI is onsistently strong and efficient engine (although I've heard the TSI is easier and cheaper to operate), Comfortable cruiser and canyon carver, Thoughtfully engineered and featured.

Suggested Improvements

Expensive to maintain (synthetic oil, low profile tires cost adds up), VW reliability is still being proven, further differentiation between Jetta and GLI trims. (A word about it being expensive to maintain, the newer domestics from Ford & GM are requiring synthetic oil and fitting their cars with low-pro's too... so I guess they'll cost just as much to maintain)

AMAZING CAR
By canadia_eh

2008 Volkswagen GLI Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I hate driving jetta's but this is NOT a jetta. It drives better than all my families cars with includes audi's and lexus'. Everything about this car is amazing. I was just rear ended at high speeds and I am 100% fine. This car is so much fun to drive and I have YET to have a problem. I have over 50,000 miles on it already. I get 28-38 MPG mixed highway city.

08 GLI (Trigger)
By Tidge

2008 Volkswagen GLI Sedan PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I loved the car when I first bought it, since I worked for Vw at the time. It handles great and has great throttle response. The color of the gauges at night are super cool. I like the ease of controls from the steering wheel instead of having to fiddle with the main controls. One thing that has bothered me is 8 months ago from July 1st 2009, is that it started having problems. Tonight while coming from work the display said stop engine, oil pressure etc. For an 08 GLI w/ 30K thats awful. Make sure you check you oil people. I drive only 5K per oil change as told to and Somehow I'm on the minimum part of dipstick!!

Suggested Improvements

Improve the wiring in the car. Do extended amounts of testing.

Needs more 12v plug ins
By Dan

2008 Volkswagen GLI Sedan PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Fun fun to drive ! Solidly built car. Plenty of trunk space. ESP system helps on off ramp bursts. Traction control works like it should in snow.It corners on rails. I'm a little heavy on the foot and I still get 27 mpg.Very quiet engine to a point you'll forget you have 6 speeds . Kelly book also rated it as one of the highest resale value. Oh and it should come with speeding tickets included

Favorite Features

Style, comfort,and great on gas even when your speeding along. Very well built.

Suggested Improvements

1 :It needs more then one 12v plug in, for accessories like charger , radar detector. 2: exterior door trim to spot dings 3:automatic exterior lights 4:home link (garage door opener)

Fun ride, great mpg, huge trunk,
By Nick

2008 Volkswagen GLI Sedan PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I don't think you can buy a car this good for the price. VW did a great job tuning the power band on this car. I also got the newest 2.0 CCTA TSI engine which is featured in the late 2008 GLI and the 2009 Jetta 2.0T models. This engine has the timing chain, rather than a belt, and a few other upgrades to the engine.This car is safe, powerful, handles well, comfortable, looks good, luxurious enough, and has a huge trunk. My family member used to own a 3 series BMW and this car is just is good for about $15,000 less. If you want to be the person who says "look at me"! and overpay just for a nameplate, get a BMW. If you want a great all around sports sedan and pay a lot less, check out the GLI

Favorite Features

-Turbo engine w/great power band -Momo steering wheel -Supportive sport bucket seats -Heated seats -Premium sound system -6 airbags -VW sport-tuned Handling -Bi-xenon Headlights -The biggest trunk you may ever see on a sports sedan

Suggested Improvements

The stock Michelin tires on the 17" wheels could be a bit stickier. Headlights seem to be aimed a bit too low