Used 2008 Volkswagen GLI Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen GLI - Consumer Reviews

2008 Volkswagen GLI

View reviews for a specific GLI model:

solid, economical, sporty and well balanced
By jackie leung

2008 Volkswagen GLI 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 04/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

2008 GLI 6pd since new, 140k miles. It's got good power, steering, braking with great fuel economy. However, it does require premium fuel.

Turbo engine does require oil top offs in between oil changes. I have had lots of odd electrical issues such as faulty warnings for burnt light bulbs. Intake valves need cleaning due to direct inhection design, expensive and timely repair I opted not to do.

Thermostat went bad around 100k miles and was replaced. It was an expensive bill due to the part location of such a simple part . AC unit has gone bad since, making rough noises and vibration with very little cold air.

The clutch and brakes last forever, still original.

Changed the timing belt at 100k miles for peace of mind.

62k Miles & Still goin' Strong.
By jdubbs19

2008 Volkswagen GLI 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 04/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I know the title of the review doesn't seem too impressive, but for all the VW nay-sayers it's saying something.

This is my 2nd review on the car, the original being back in 12/2007. My overall stance on the car has not changed in the few years and 60,000 miles that have passed. My car still consumes very little to no oil within the 5k mile oil change intervals and has not had a mechanical break down. Some of the parts on the car have needed to be changed however (trunk gas struts, valve cover gasket & electronic door lock module).

If you're looking at one second hand, check for oil leaks or slower performance/lower gas mileage (carbon buildup issue).

Still 30ish MPG, still a sweet ride.

2.0T FSI is onsistently strong and efficient engine (although I've heard the TSI is easier and cheaper to operate), Comfortable cruiser and canyon carver, Thoughtfully engineered and featured.

Expensive to maintain (synthetic oil, low profile tires cost adds up), VW reliability is still being proven, further differentiation between Jetta and GLI trims. (A word about it being expensive to maintain, the newer domestics from Ford & GM are requiring synthetic oil and fitting their cars with low-pro's too... so I guess they'll cost just as much to maintain)

AMAZING CAR
By canadia_eh

2008 Volkswagen GLI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I hate driving jetta's but this is NOT a jetta. It drives better than all my families cars with includes audi's and lexus'. Everything about this car is amazing. I was just rear ended at high speeds and I am 100% fine. This car is so much fun to drive and I have YET to have a problem. I have over 50,000 miles on it already. I get 28-38 MPG mixed highway city.

08 GLI (Trigger)
By Tidge

2008 Volkswagen GLI PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I loved the car when I first bought it, since I worked for Vw at the time. It handles great and has great throttle response. The color of the gauges at night are super cool. I like the ease of controls from the steering wheel instead of having to fiddle with the main controls. One thing that has bothered me is 8 months ago from July 1st 2009, is that it started having problems. Tonight while coming from work the display said stop engine, oil pressure etc. For an 08 GLI w/ 30K thats awful. Make sure you check you oil people. I drive only 5K per oil change as told to and Somehow I'm on the minimum part of dipstick!!

Improve the wiring in the car. Do extended amounts of testing.

Needs more 12v plug ins
By Dan

2008 Volkswagen GLI PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Fun fun to drive ! Solidly built car. Plenty of trunk space. ESP system helps on off ramp bursts. Traction control works like it should in snow.It corners on rails. I'm a little heavy on the foot and I still get 27 mpg.Very quiet engine to a point you'll forget you have 6 speeds . Kelly book also rated it as one of the highest resale value. Oh and it should come with speeding tickets included

Style, comfort,and great on gas even when your speeding along. Very well built.

1 :It needs more then one 12v plug in, for accessories like charger , radar detector. 2: exterior door trim to spot dings 3:automatic exterior lights 4:home link (garage door opener)