2008 Volkswagen GLI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GLI model:
62k Miles & Still goin' Strong.
By jdubbs19 on 03/06/11 20:42 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen GLI 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 04/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I know the title of the review doesn't seem too impressive, but for all the VW nay-sayers it's saying something. This is my 2nd review on the car, the original being back in 12/2007. My overall stance on the car has not changed in the few years and 60,000 miles that have passed. My car still consumes very little to no oil within the 5k mile oil change intervals and has not had a mechanical break down. Some of the parts on the car have needed to be changed however (trunk gas struts, valve cover gasket & electronic door lock module). If you're looking at one second hand, check for oil leaks or slower performance/lower gas mileage (carbon buildup issue). Still 30ish MPG, still a sweet ride.

AMAZING CAR
By canadia_eh on 02/23/11 16:26 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen GLI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I hate driving jetta's but this is NOT a jetta. It drives better than all my families cars with includes audi's and lexus'. Everything about this car is amazing. I was just rear ended at high speeds and I am 100% fine. This car is so much fun to drive and I have YET to have a problem. I have over 50,000 miles on it already. I get 28-38 MPG mixed highway city.

08 GLI (Trigger)
By Tidge on 07/01/09 21:21 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GLI PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I loved the car when I first bought it, since I worked for Vw at the time. It handles great and has great throttle response. The color of the gauges at night are super cool. I like the ease of controls from the steering wheel instead of having to fiddle with the main controls. One thing that has bothered me is 8 months ago from July 1st 2009, is that it started having problems. Tonight while coming from work the display said stop engine, oil pressure etc. For an 08 GLI w/ 30K thats awful. Make sure you check you oil people. I drive only 5K per oil change as told to and Somehow I'm on the minimum part of dipstick!!

Needs more 12v plug ins
By Dan on 01/08/09 22:16 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen GLI PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Fun fun to drive ! Solidly built car. Plenty of trunk space. ESP system helps on off ramp bursts. Traction control works like it should in snow.It corners on rails. I'm a little heavy on the foot and I still get 27 mpg.Very quiet engine to a point you'll forget you have 6 speeds . Kelly book also rated it as one of the highest resale value. Oh and it should come with speeding tickets included

Fun ride, great mpg, huge trunk,
By Nick on 10/14/08 20:06 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GLI PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I don't think you can buy a car this good for the price. VW did a great job tuning the power band on this car. I also got the newest 2.0 CCTA TSI engine which is featured in the late 2008 GLI and the 2009 Jetta 2.0T models. This engine has the timing chain, rather than a belt, and a few other upgrades to the engine.This car is safe, powerful, handles well, comfortable, looks good, luxurious enough, and has a huge trunk. My family member used to own a 3 series BMW and this car is just is good for about $15,000 less. If you want to be the person who says "look at me"! and overpay just for a nameplate, get a BMW. If you want a great all around sports sedan and pay a lot less, check out the GLI

YeeHaa
By racerx on 08/21/08 18:12 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GLI PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Awesome car and when you figure in the price it's a slam dunk. Nothing comes close for the money and the gas mileage is insane in relationship to power. This is what you need when gas is 4 bucks a gallon but still want luxury and performance and space.

Fun and Sporty Car
By Tidge on 08/08/08 13:25 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GLI PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I drive my car everyday. City mileage I get about 24.4 and city averaging 35.5 doing 70 mph. I like how the car just with the tap of the throttle likes to take off. It has great handling, very little under/over steer. The ESP option is great for dirt and gravel roads, helps with sticking to the road. Since New Years Eve of 2008 I have put al ot of miles on the car. It has held up with no problem and does extremely well on the highway. Gas mileage isn't what I'm used to from my last car I owned. Yet the car gets compliments often and will be with me for a long time.

6 Speed - Keeper
By Patrick S. on 07/06/08 12:20 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GLI 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 04/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I recommend this ride to anyone who wants a sporty/professional image without seeming too racy. This vehicle is great to take clients to lunch but, also ideal for fun weekend driving. I get about 23 miles per gallon and I drive city only!

Mr
By zugisland on 06/27/08 06:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GLI 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 04/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Just picked up my new Platinum Gray GLI . Paid 25,850 plus tax for auto moon cold weather and all season mats . But mostly took advantage of the new VW 48 months at 0% financing. Anyway just hope anyone else can comment with moonroof open it sounds like a train on my hood. Is anyone experience this loud vibration. Whew. Didn't open moonroof during test drive due to hot during the day. LOL.

Outstanding Performance and Build Quality
By imacVW on 05/11/08 01:06 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GLI 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 04/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

This car is an absolute blast to drive! I drive with a very heavy foot and still average 23-25 MPG (premium 93 gasoline). I'm 6'5" and weigh 220 lbs, yet I have plenty of leg room. The adjustable seat height is probably one of my favorite features. My wife enjoys the feel of an SUV so she raises the seat all the way up when she drives and says it gives her a feeling of being higher up than a typical sedan. The steering is extremely responsive even under heavy acceleration. If you are unfamiliar with turbo's, there is a bit of lag noticeable when letting off the brake from a complete stop. It's a normal function of any turbo and just takes some getting used to. Love the car! Highly recommend!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.