Used 1993 Volkswagen Fox Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Volkswagen Fox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fox model:

Best Small Car!
By DMS

1993 Volkswagen Fox GL Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I actually had 2 Vw Fox's an 87 and a 93 .I totalled both but came out alive,is was one great little car, it handled great, while every one were buyin sentras and corolla's I bought a Vw Fox, and it was a great car, with only 81hp it still was very dependable and If they would have continued makin the car I would have kept purchasing one .

the way the car handled and the sporty looked it took on when I added euro wheels and fog lights,

whats to improve when you do things correct, keep the customer happy with good service.

My Fox
By My_Claw

1993 Volkswagen Fox GL Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I love this car! I bought it from my brother who loved it and worked on it allot. I have yet to find something that my fox couldn't do. I pulled out a tree stump with it!! I can climb with it! I raced a 1994 civic with a turbo and won!

Everything! The engine because it never loses compression.

Germans know how to build a car. Like i said, the engine never loses its compression. But they could take a lesson from the Japanese on electronics. and a lesson from Americans on the interior and accessories. Cup holders would be nice i guess.

Great Dependable Coupe
By wrciii8988

1993 Volkswagen Fox Polo 2dr Coupe

I purchased the vehicle with 53K on it as a second well handling economy car. It now has 276K with the original interior, paint, engine, transmission and clutch. I have replaces only minor items such as wheel bearings, half shafts, timing belt, plugs and wires and the radiator. There is a VW following for thus vehicle as it, with a few minor modifications, out handles and out performs many others in the class and the next higher.

Handling, fuel economy, the 2-door look

Offer more aftermarket suspension kits in the US. Most have to come from Brazil where the car was manufactured

1993 Volkswagen Fox Great Work Car
By Mike Pavelchik

1993 Volkswagen Fox GL Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

The car was visually rough and had some been maintained poorly. The car is fun to drive and built well. It has a zippy little engine that gets great gas mileage on the highway. The EPA rates it at 32 MPG highway, but, I am honestly getting closer to 36 MPG. It handles great on the offramps and has good acceleration at rolling speeds. Not a race car from a stop, but the 5 spd is great on the 30 mile commute.

The 5 spd gearing is wonderful for the highway. You don't even get to 5th gear until around 60 mph. I don't want to post incrimination evidence. So, I will say it will maintain high interstate speeds with ease.

1st and 2nd gears are tough to drive in stop-and-go traffic, but I guess gas mileage would suffer if geared lower.

Still One of the Best
By YSSMAN

1993 Volkswagen Fox GL Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

My 1993 Fox was indeed my first car and a good one at that. Although what she may have lacked in beauty (she was a little rough around the edges), she made up for in character. Of course everyone is going to be in love with their first car, and for me, there was no question about it. The car was surprisingly safe as well, as it was taken away from me in a 45 MPH head-on collision with a young woman in a Cavalier. I still miss my Fox every day when I drive to school or work, as my Jetta simply cannot fill the void left by that car. It was certainly not a Honda Civic, but it was something that no-one else had. If you have one, hold on to it, as they are very special cars indeed.

Undoubtedly, the "feel" of the car was the best feature. You could always "feel" what was going on with the suspension, with the tires, with the engine, etc. I have yet to drive a car that could match that, Porsche 911 Carreras included.

The car doesn't like cold weather, but there isn't much you can do about that. Otherwise, VW needs to consider shipping the European/Brazillian Fox to the US market again. They are great cars, and people will certainly buy them!