Used 1990 Volkswagen Fox Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Volkswagen Fox - Consumer Reviews

GL 1.8L 4-cyl. 4-speed Manual - (4 reviews )

Most Helpful|
got a lemon
By Twizzler

1990 Volkswagen Fox Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

My grandparents bought me a car b/c my parents needed to take back a car they had given me and I got a Fox. This car has to be repaired often and is unreliable.

reliability
By peter crawford

1990 Volkswagen Fox Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

my fox was given to me by my mom and dad. this fox has run thru thick and thin and still it keeps on ticking !!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Features

light, can turn on a dime.

Suggested Improvements

more top end

The most mechanically sound car I've had
By littlebopeep

1990 Volkswagen Fox Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Minor electrical problems invariably arise in these older VWs (noises and lights going off for no reason), but at around 150,000 miles, the engine uses no oil and runs the cleanest of any car I've ever seen. After 2,000 miles, the dipstick is still clean. A friend of mine bought a Fox whose odometer was broken at 250,000+ miles, and he drove it for five years that way until the trans eventually started making ugly noises.

Favorite Features

Easy to work on. Decent handling. Large trunk.

Suggested Improvements

It's only got 80 hp, so it's kind of a dog, but it cruises well between 70-80 mph at relatively low revs. Its 4- speed trans is strangely well-designed, but speed off the line is an issue.

My 1990 VW Fox
By 90vwfox

1990 Volkswagen Fox Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1990 VW Fox after college. And I still own it. I have put more than 440,000 + miles on it. Just regular maintance and wear and tear parts (ie...brakes, tires, spark plugs, etc.) No major engine work or transmission work. I am now just starting to overhaul the engine due to low oil pressure. I never had any oil leaks other than once around 225,000 miles the valve cover started leaking. Replace it and was back on the road again. Although parts are getting hard to fine. I have driven this car everywhere, dirt roads, highways, up in the TX, NM, Co. mountains and forest, NM, Az, Tx desert, snow, rain and down on the beach in Tx. Runs like a champ.

Favorite Features

Fun car to drive. Very relieable and great gas milage (37mpg). It is easy to work on since I like working on my own cars. The engine sits North/South (Inline) not side ways. Suprisingly the interior has held up well for the amount of miles the car has on it.

Suggested Improvements

My only suggestions would be for better noise insulation in the cabin and a little more HP but Love the car. My only complaint would be the speedometer. It had to be repaired 3 times. The plasitic gears wear out after about 150,000 miles. Since I have over 440,000 miles, that is the reason it has been repaired 3 times.