1990 Volkswagen Fox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fox model:
My 1990 VW Fox
By 90vwfox on 05/09/11 07:22 AM (PDT)

1990 Volkswagen Fox GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1990 VW Fox after college. And I still own it. I have put more than 440,000 + miles on it. Just regular maintance and wear and tear parts (ie...brakes, tires, spark plugs, etc.) No major engine work or transmission work. I am now just starting to overhaul the engine due to low oil pressure. I never had any oil leaks other than once around 225,000 miles the valve cover started leaking. Replace it and was back on the road again. Although parts are getting hard to fine. I have driven this car everywhere, dirt roads, highways, up in the TX, NM, Co. mountains and forest, NM, Az, Tx desert, snow, rain and down on the beach in Tx. Runs like a champ.

The most mechanically sound car I've had
By littlebopeep on 11/30/04 23:10 PM (PST)

1990 Volkswagen Fox GL 4dr Sedan

Minor electrical problems invariably arise in these older VWs (noises and lights going off for no reason), but at around 150,000 miles, the engine uses no oil and runs the cleanest of any car I've ever seen. After 2,000 miles, the dipstick is still clean. A friend of mine bought a Fox whose odometer was broken at 250,000+ miles, and he drove it for five years that way until the trans eventually started making ugly noises.

Words can't describe this great car!
By Chill Will on 11/30/04 11:48 AM (PST)

1990 Volkswagen Fox 2dr Coupe

This is a fantastic car in any situation. Its small exterior dimensions and outstanding fuel economy make this a great city car. Agile handling and a spunky character make it a great backroad car. This solid German car is comfortable in any situation. Come rain, snow, or ice, the Fox can't be stopped. A roomy interior makes the Fox a comfortable car even for 6-foot-plus people like me. The driving experience is go-kart fun. And reliability? This car practically invented that word. The Fox was based on the Audi 4000, and it shows in the incredible build quality. I would reccommend it to anyone who is interested in a good car.

featureless but fun
By Ampeg500 on 03/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Volkswagen Fox 2dr Coupe

My parents got this car brand new back in 1990, and in 2003, they started to hand it over to me. At first, I was quite mad at what a piece of crap it seemed to be at its old age. Once I had driven it for about 3 months, I was to the point where I would prefer it over a newer US Big 3 economy car. The Fox would outlast and outhandle any old US economy car. I can't believe that it's been so dependable with regular maintenance. It has been and will continue to be a great first car and a great ride for my high school days. It just won't quit running, the wonderful little thing. This car has given me a great loyalty to VW I would happily get another one.

reliability
By peter crawford on 09/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Volkswagen Fox GL 4dr Sedan

my fox was given to me by my mom and dad. this fox has run thru thick and thin and still it keeps on ticking !!!!!!!!!!!!

got a lemon
By Twizzler on 02/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Volkswagen Fox GL 4dr Sedan

My grandparents bought me a car b/c my parents needed to take back a car they had given me and I got a Fox. This car has to be repaired often and is unreliable.

12 years old and just like it was new
By mcd2000 on 06/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Volkswagen Fox 2dr Coupe

My Volkswagen Fox has had NO mechanical problems despite numerous things that happened such as wasps building their nest on the engine block! It still purrs like a kitten and handles like a dream.