Used 1990 Volkswagen Fox Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Volkswagen Fox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fox model:

My 1990 VW Fox
By 90vwfox

1990 Volkswagen Fox GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1990 VW Fox after college. And I still own it. I have put more than 440,000 + miles on it. Just regular maintance and wear and tear parts (ie...brakes, tires, spark plugs, etc.) No major engine work or transmission work. I am now just starting to overhaul the engine due to low oil pressure. I never had any oil leaks other than once around 225,000 miles the valve cover started leaking. Replace it and was back on the road again. Although parts are getting hard to fine. I have driven this car everywhere, dirt roads, highways, up in the TX, NM, Co. mountains and forest, NM, Az, Tx desert, snow, rain and down on the beach in Tx. Runs like a champ.

Fun car to drive. Very relieable and great gas milage (37mpg). It is easy to work on since I like working on my own cars. The engine sits North/South (Inline) not side ways. Suprisingly the interior has held up well for the amount of miles the car has on it.

My only suggestions would be for better noise insulation in the cabin and a little more HP but Love the car. My only complaint would be the speedometer. It had to be repaired 3 times. The plasitic gears wear out after about 150,000 miles. Since I have over 440,000 miles, that is the reason it has been repaired 3 times.

The most mechanically sound car I've had
By littlebopeep

1990 Volkswagen Fox GL 4dr Sedan

Minor electrical problems invariably arise in these older VWs (noises and lights going off for no reason), but at around 150,000 miles, the engine uses no oil and runs the cleanest of any car I've ever seen. After 2,000 miles, the dipstick is still clean. A friend of mine bought a Fox whose odometer was broken at 250,000+ miles, and he drove it for five years that way until the trans eventually started making ugly noises.

Easy to work on. Decent handling. Large trunk.

It's only got 80 hp, so it's kind of a dog, but it cruises well between 70-80 mph at relatively low revs. Its 4- speed trans is strangely well-designed, but speed off the line is an issue.

Words can't describe this great car!
By Chill Will

1990 Volkswagen Fox 2dr Coupe

This is a fantastic car in any situation. Its small exterior dimensions and outstanding fuel economy make this a great city car. Agile handling and a spunky character make it a great backroad car. This solid German car is comfortable in any situation. Come rain, snow, or ice, the Fox can't be stopped. A roomy interior makes the Fox a comfortable car even for 6-foot-plus people like me. The driving experience is go-kart fun. And reliability? This car practically invented that word. The Fox was based on the Audi 4000, and it shows in the incredible build quality. I would reccommend it to anyone who is interested in a good car.

Agile handling, interior room and comfort, fuel efficiency, bulletproof build quality, all-weather traction and performance, fun to drive

VW needs to make this car again!

featureless but fun
By Ampeg500

1990 Volkswagen Fox 2dr Coupe

My parents got this car brand new back in 1990, and in 2003, they started to hand it over to me. At first, I was quite mad at what a piece of crap it seemed to be at its old age. Once I had driven it for about 3 months, I was to the point where I would prefer it over a newer US Big 3 economy car. The Fox would outlast and outhandle any old US economy car. I can't believe that it's been so dependable with regular maintenance. It has been and will continue to be a great first car and a great ride for my high school days. It just won't quit running, the wonderful little thing. This car has given me a great loyalty to VW I would happily get another one.

The tight and sporty handling, easy parking,

A turbo! The engine is quite weak, but I can live with it.

reliability
By peter crawford

1990 Volkswagen Fox GL 4dr Sedan

my fox was given to me by my mom and dad. this fox has run thru thick and thin and still it keeps on ticking !!!!!!!!!!!!

light, can turn on a dime.

more top end