2002 Volkswagen EuroVan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific EuroVan model:
10 year review
By Plova on 10/16/12 14:34 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen EuroVan Minivan MV 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this car for 10.5 years since new and still enjoy driving it. Just coming up to 70K so low mileage. I do almost all the work on my car so the maintenance is not bad. Repairs that have been needed to date are: coolant temp. sensor $30.00, MAF sensor ($190) and now just need to replace the O2 sensor ($76.00). New front end bushings need so installed new front control arms and tie rod assembly with alignment ($1,000). Replaced original brakes at 32k(front) and 34K (rear) and now have about 10K left on 2nd set so have drilled Zimmermann brakes and EBC pads to go on. Tune up easy to do. Most important service is to change transmission fluid per service manual

Mechanics nightmare
By NoMoreVWs on 05/14/10 13:35 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen EuroVan Minivan MV 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought a Eurovan used with 60,000 miles. In great condition when purchased. Car computer died at 80k, the dealer told my wife the car had "a head ache" and it would cost $2500. I refused and insisted it must be under warranty and under my persistence was then covered by my warranty. Hmm. The car drive like a giant box. The interior is average, the seat are uncomfortable for long trips. The cup holders and plastic part break. A sliding window took 5 trips to the dealer, 18 hrs, and $600. The transmission is going out at 120k, and the brakes are expensive and require special tools. One door handle is broken, the window is stuck, the dealer says $500 to fix. AC died. Hard to find a mechanic

2002 VW Eurovan weekender review
By kimberly on 04/17/08 15:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen EuroVan Minivan MV 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

Love the power and sitting up high. Suggestions for improvement: remote control that only unlocks driver's door, not all doors at same time (this could be unsafe; a stranger could jump in other side as one enters driver's door), automatic door locking as vehicle starts to move, glovebox in front of passenger seat. would like FLAT back seat so when it's turned into a bed it is not so lumpy and uneven. I was disappointed that my new 2002 did not have a standard CD player (only am/fm/cassette). I'm the original owner & have owned 2 other VW vans.. the 1990 pop top was superb. I'd love to see the 1990 set up, but put the engine in the front and add safety air bags and a v-6 engine.

After 5 years
By Jeff 66 on 04/26/07 14:23 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen EuroVan Minivan MV 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is a follow up review of a positng I did in 2002. EV now has 38K on it and I have not had a problem. Suspension is still great. Had engine replaced at 17K as my father hit a drainage grate that was sticking up on the a new section of the I-5 freeway and took out the oil pan, which damaged the motor - thanks WSDOT ! I don't drive this much as I am overseas for 4 1/2 months/year, but every time I return it starts up just fine. Only needs routine maintenance. The resale value is very high in my area as well.

2002 Eurovan Poptop
By cathy on 12/29/06 20:44 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen EuroVan Minivan MV 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Eurovan this summer for frequent weekend trips. It is wonderful, exactly what we needed. It's very roomy and easy to change the interior to match our needs. The seats come in and out quickly, The poptop is easy to put up. The car holds us, our kids, and our dogs with no problems. Put the bikes on the back and we are good to go. This is the best vehicle we have owned.

Love my MV!
By CharlieD on 06/02/05 17:32 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen EuroVan Minivan MV 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

Wow! I don't understand why more of these sold? I love my Eurovan MV - Comfy, usable space, easy to drive and the fit and finish is great. About the only thing I think I miss is rear AC, my kids have to wait a while to get cool on hot days. I plan on driving this car for a long time and I'm completely satisfied with its overall performance and ride. I can't find any safety data about the Eurovan, but I found a danish site that rated cars by accident per million miles and fatalities etc, and the VW van was rated excellent - for all years including the newer faster types like mine.

3 Year Update
By jeff66 on 05/26/05 22:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen EuroVan Minivan MV 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

I originally wrote a review back in Nov. 2002 when the van had only 5500 miles on it. Since then I have had no problems what so ever. Overall, the performance has been excellent. Had the engine replaced after my father hit a drainage grate on a newly built section of highway and it took out the oil pan - thanks WSDOT ! Engine replace with lower mileage engine and so far so good. The fuel economy is a little less than before, but may be due to using regular unleaded and more city driving - averaging around 16.5 - 17 mpg. Had to replace tires at 25K, and babied the Dunlops to get this much out of them. Keep wheels balance and van aligned per schedule. Otherwise van has been great.

VW Eurovan is a Lemon
By Jonathan Hochman on 12/10/04 13:58 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen EuroVan Minivan MV 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this vehicle back to the dealer multiple times to repair "brake failure" warnings. They are unable to repair. VW told me that they can't help me. I will NEVER buy another VW.

Wouln't buy again
By skw on 05/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen EuroVan Minivan MV 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

problems with paint chipping. The dealer said it was from rocks. I have had the problems since before 5,000 miles. Always garaged just went over the 24,000 mark this weekend. Rear facing seats must be positioned straight up in order for the front seats to be comfortable. Brakes replaced at 20,500 miles - our Dodge Caravan has 49,000 miles and has never had the brakes replaced (not the norm, but indicative of our driving habits) or the paint damage the Eurovan has. Vehicle surges when driving. Van has been maintained by VW dealer per manufacturer's recommendations. Dealers not much help. Wrote to VW customer when van was new - no response.

Excellent vacation mobile
By rtt108 on 03/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen EuroVan Minivan MV 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is the perfect family van. Useful and fun! The MV seating configuration sold us. Traveling with kids is great. Handling is tight and precise. I did add a european headlight switch to activate the rear fog light circuit, and installed a rear fog light. A lot of technical advise is available in Yahoo Groups, under: "ev_update" My wife gets a big kick out of teenagers stopping her in parking lots to tell her "That's a really cool van!". NOTE: I find most written reviews on this van to be either wildly inaccurate, or so full of personal bias as to be useless, if not offensive.