2002 Volkswagen EuroVan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific EuroVan model:
10 year review
By Plova on 10/16/12 14:34 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen EuroVan MV 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this car for 10.5 years since new and still enjoy driving it. Just coming up to 70K so low mileage. I do almost all the work on my car so the maintenance is not bad. Repairs that have been needed to date are: coolant temp. sensor $30.00, MAF sensor ($190) and now just need to replace the O2 sensor ($76.00). New front end bushings need so installed new front control arms and tie rod assembly with alignment ($1,000). Replaced original brakes at 32k(front) and 34K (rear) and now have about 10K left on 2nd set so have drilled Zimmermann brakes and EBC pads to go on. Tune up easy to do. Most important service is to change transmission fluid per service manual

Mechanics nightmare
By NoMoreVWs on 05/14/10 13:35 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen EuroVan MV 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought a Eurovan used with 60,000 miles. In great condition when purchased. Car computer died at 80k, the dealer told my wife the car had "a head ache" and it would cost $2500. I refused and insisted it must be under warranty and under my persistence was then covered by my warranty. Hmm. The car drive like a giant box. The interior is average, the seat are uncomfortable for long trips. The cup holders and plastic part break. A sliding window took 5 trips to the dealer, 18 hrs, and $600. The transmission is going out at 120k, and the brakes are expensive and require special tools. One door handle is broken, the window is stuck, the dealer says $500 to fix. AC died. Hard to find a mechanic

2002 VW Eurovan weekender review
By kimberly on 04/17/08 15:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen EuroVan MV 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

Love the power and sitting up high. Suggestions for improvement: remote control that only unlocks driver's door, not all doors at same time (this could be unsafe; a stranger could jump in other side as one enters driver's door), automatic door locking as vehicle starts to move, glovebox in front of passenger seat. would like FLAT back seat so when it's turned into a bed it is not so lumpy and uneven. I was disappointed that my new 2002 did not have a standard CD player (only am/fm/cassette). I'm the original owner & have owned 2 other VW vans.. the 1990 pop top was superb. I'd love to see the 1990 set up, but put the engine in the front and add safety air bags and a v-6 engine.

Misunderstood
By gunther on 07/30/07 16:39 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen EuroVan GLS 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

Editors comparing the EuroVan to a Honda Odyssey completely miss the point. The Euro is big. It's not a minivan. It's a full size van. Compared to the smallest minivans like the Odyssey, it's kinda boxy and rolls in the turns. But compared to a Dodge or GM full sized van or the bigger SUVs, well, there's no comparison. You can put seven full sized adults in a EuroVan and drive across the country comfortably. Try that in an Odyssey. You can move couches and washing machines and your old big-screen tv in a Euro. Try that in a Dodge Caravan. Your three-cart trip to Costco disappears in the EuroVan. And it's still reasonably fun to drive. It's heavy. 15 mpg if you're lucky. We love ours.

After 5 years
By Jeff 66 on 04/26/07 14:23 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen EuroVan MV 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is a follow up review of a positng I did in 2002. EV now has 38K on it and I have not had a problem. Suspension is still great. Had engine replaced at 17K as my father hit a drainage grate that was sticking up on the a new section of the I-5 freeway and took out the oil pan, which damaged the motor - thanks WSDOT ! I don't drive this much as I am overseas for 4 1/2 months/year, but every time I return it starts up just fine. Only needs routine maintenance. The resale value is very high in my area as well.

A Joy to Drive!
By jerry on 03/11/07 11:03 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen EuroVan GLS 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

I'd like to get a gas miser to drive, just so the oil exporting countries don't get more money, but I can't give up this ride. I have over 100,000 miles on it and it runs like new. It's never had a tune-up...no plugs, nothing. I change the oil every 5,000 miles; it doesn't burn it at all. The seating position gives me a great view of the road. It's like sitting in a comfortable chair in my living room watching my HD big screen. It should have a popcorn popper built in. Besides being able to see traffic well, it handles like a car not a truck. It's built on a very strong truck frame, solid and secure. I can fold down all the back seats in seconds and put in 4 x 8 sheets of plywood.

2002 Eurovan Poptop
By cathy on 12/29/06 20:44 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen EuroVan MV 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Eurovan this summer for frequent weekend trips. It is wonderful, exactly what we needed. It's very roomy and easy to change the interior to match our needs. The seats come in and out quickly, The poptop is easy to put up. The car holds us, our kids, and our dogs with no problems. Put the bikes on the back and we are good to go. This is the best vehicle we have owned.

Perfect Only Vehicle
By Jerry Rezny on 12/31/05 19:43 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen EuroVan GLS 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

The Volkswagen EuroVan is the perfect vehicle for me because it can do everything. If I need to hold 7 passengers, it will. If I need to carry sheets of 4x8 plywood, it can. Want to bring my bike to the trail? No problem. Long trips...wonderful. This van is comfortable, has great visibility, is smooth riding and quiet! I love it!

Love my MV!
By CharlieD on 06/02/05 17:32 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen EuroVan MV 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

Wow! I don't understand why more of these sold? I love my Eurovan MV - Comfy, usable space, easy to drive and the fit and finish is great. About the only thing I think I miss is rear AC, my kids have to wait a while to get cool on hot days. I plan on driving this car for a long time and I'm completely satisfied with its overall performance and ride. I can't find any safety data about the Eurovan, but I found a danish site that rated cars by accident per million miles and fatalities etc, and the VW van was rated excellent - for all years including the newer faster types like mine.

3 Year Update
By jeff66 on 05/26/05 22:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen EuroVan MV 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

I originally wrote a review back in Nov. 2002 when the van had only 5500 miles on it. Since then I have had no problems what so ever. Overall, the performance has been excellent. Had the engine replaced after my father hit a drainage grate on a newly built section of highway and it took out the oil pan - thanks WSDOT ! Engine replace with lower mileage engine and so far so good. The fuel economy is a little less than before, but may be due to using regular unleaded and more city driving - averaging around 16.5 - 17 mpg. Had to replace tires at 25K, and babied the Dunlops to get this much out of them. Keep wheels balance and van aligned per schedule. Otherwise van has been great.