Used 2001 Volkswagen EuroVan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Eurovan - Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen EuroVan

View reviews for a specific EuroVan model:

By MacDaddy

2001 Volkswagen EuroVan MV 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have had nothing but trouble with this van. I had the transmission replaced, air compressor, front steering totally replaced, wiper motors, engine computer sensors, and bad tires because of poor steering alignment. I am in the process of kissing this hunk of junk good bye. I will not buy another VW product. In fact I warn others against it.

Favorite Features

The size and options.

Engine Oil Failure
By 2001 Eurovan

2001 Volkswagen EuroVan GLS 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

The oil housings on these vans are made of plastic and are broken easily during oil changes. We lost all the oil and it ruined our engine. Each time we get oil changes we have to ensure the housing is not cracked. We asked Volkswagen to recall these vans but they refused. We absolutely hate the van because of this issue!

Suggested Improvements

Replace the plastic oil housings which get hot and brittle and then crack leaking out all engine oil. Replace them with metal housings.

Zippy, roomy van
By Cheech

2001 Volkswagen EuroVan MV 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have had VW vans in the past. I liked them for a bunch of reasons. The '01 Eurovan roomy and very comfortable, even traveling with my family of seven. It's already been said, but the Volkswagen Eurovan is decidedly different. It's shaped like a box where others are round and bubbly. It has a significantly higher driving position. It also offers unique options, such as rear-facing second-row seats, pull out beds, window curtains and a camper body. All that plus a few peace signs make this van easy to own.

Favorite Features

Club seating in the back, great cargo space and the pull-up table.

Suggested Improvements

Parts availability is an issue.

2001 Volkswagen EuroVan
By euronut

2001 Volkswagen EuroVan GLS 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

My 2001 Volkswagen EuroVan is a performer and fun to drive. We tow a boat with it and take long road trips. For traveling, you can't beat it. The reliability is poor and the repair costs are higher than most cars with the standard brake job costing $800. You should factor a 30% increase on repairs for Eurovan over a Golf or a Jetta. They are hard to work on and parts are scarce.

V ersatile Vehicle
By Tubaman

2001 Volkswagen EuroVan MV 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this Eurovan used, less than a year old with about 11000 miles, still under warranty. No mechanical problems except a driveline seal replaced under warranty. (I've always had it serviced at University VW in Albuquerque.) I find it very comfortable to drive long distances, but my wife finds the seats too tall (seat to floor) for sustained comfort. Acceleration is fair with the VR6. Fuel economy is about 20 mpg. The E'van can pull a light trailer too.

Favorite Features

Versatility: haul 7 passengers, camp overnight, haul cargo (removing a seat is easy), tow a light trailer.

Suggested Improvements

The rear-facing seats and table make for a nice conversation area when the van has 7 passengers. However, the rear-facing seats need to be positioned so that they don't compromise movement of the 2 front seats as much.