Used 2001 Volkswagen EuroVan MV Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Eurovan - Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen EuroVan Minivan

View reviews for a specific EuroVan model:

Best Vehicle Yet
By pathlesstravel

2001 Volkswagen EuroVan Minivan MV 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned many types of cars and minivans but our 2001 Eurovan weekender is by far the most flexible and fun even though it's now 13 years old. With 3 small kids and time off, my wife and I meandered 1,600 miles across California off the beaten path and had way too much fun. It's a home while on the road and the club seating means the kids face each other for hours of travel without fatigue. Anywhere we park the kids have a hangout. Mechanically it's quiet and powerful. We change the oil and trans fluid more frequently than specified by VW. It has 131,000 miles and still drives solid. Visibility is good and interior size feels generous. We are not a bells and whistles family.

Favorite Features

The pop-top and fold-down rear seat sleeps 2 adults below and 3 little kids upstairs. Curtains make it private. Club seating with dining table is perfect for small meals or laptop work surface. This is not a minivan, it's a rolling hangout at the beach or for trips up Hwy 101 with independence from hotels. The seats sit high so kids have good views over traffic. Lots of storage for stroller and camping stuff. I highly recommend a Eurovan weekender if you like adventuring with your kids but don't want a large camper. It is a good commute car too.

Suggested Improvements

The stock Eurovan stereo is AM/FM cassette only so an upgrade to CD/MP3 is needed. Add a transmission oil cooler to baby the transmission.

Fantastic multi-purpose vehicle
By smallwisdom

2001 Volkswagen EuroVan Minivan MV 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2001 Eurovan used in 2006 with 70k miles. Now, in 2014, it has about 130k without any major mishap. That said, expect to spend about $1500/year on maintenance AND they are notorious for having the transmission die ($6K repair) between 40k-70k miles. 9 years later, our van has taken us on multiple camping trips and has gone to Burning Man several times. The engine runs a little rougher than it use to but it is still a very nice, drivable car for a large van. Sadly, I don't think our van will survive for very many more years because various bits are starting to fall apart, but it has not had a gentle life (we park it outside, take it camping, have kids, etc.).

Favorite Features

- The pop-top and the foldout bed for camping. - The table for feeding the kids after a trip to the zoo or the park. - It seats 7 people so we can take guests as well as our family of 4. - We have a bike rack mounted on the trailer hitch.

Suggested Improvements

- Maintenance is expensive.

Good Eurovan
By Brian

2001 Volkswagen EuroVan Minivan MV 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

This ia a quilty vehicle. My family loves it. You can not beat it on a trip. Dose suck the gas though plus you have to use premium fuel.

Favorite Features

The pop top, fridge, table, rear facing seats, powerful V6 engine, cargo space, and overall interior room beats them all.

By MacDaddy

2001 Volkswagen EuroVan Minivan MV 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have had nothing but trouble with this van. I had the transmission replaced, air compressor, front steering totally replaced, wiper motors, engine computer sensors, and bad tires because of poor steering alignment. I am in the process of kissing this hunk of junk good bye. I will not buy another VW product. In fact I warn others against it.

Favorite Features

The size and options.

Zippy, roomy van
By Cheech

2001 Volkswagen EuroVan Minivan MV 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have had VW vans in the past. I liked them for a bunch of reasons. The '01 Eurovan roomy and very comfortable, even traveling with my family of seven. It's already been said, but the Volkswagen Eurovan is decidedly different. It's shaped like a box where others are round and bubbly. It has a significantly higher driving position. It also offers unique options, such as rear-facing second-row seats, pull out beds, window curtains and a camper body. All that plus a few peace signs make this van easy to own.

Favorite Features

Club seating in the back, great cargo space and the pull-up table.

Suggested Improvements

Parts availability is an issue.