Used 2001 Volkswagen EuroVan GLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen EuroVan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific EuroVan model:

I used to love German quality
By Pat

2001 Volkswagen EuroVan GLS 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

Just bought this vehicle-had 10 hour drive to get it (handicap van) now fixing all the electrical issues. I have always loved the German engineering but the asian cars have QC! I am old school, don't think you should have to pay $300 for a key or $300 for an igniter that replaced a $3 set of points - that's "progress?" I guess I know too much about engineering, mechanics, electronics, etc. It must be easy to design products without regard to cost to the client!

"German engineering" is what I used to crave, but it may be a thing of the past.

Don't follow - lead, as you once did; produce a car for the people! Reliability-don't need all the security and courtesy circuits that fail in a few years-give us the basics, solid engineering.

Love it
By Joyce

2001 Volkswagen EuroVan GLS 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

We have had Volks vans since the green "bus" and hate/loved each one. The best one was the early vanagon with all that room in back and front, great interior coverings, etc....but the wind roll on the highway was bothersome. Our Euro is excellent to drive, sits above the crowd, no roll, a bit noisy, holds lots of people. Interior too fuzzy. Less width was not good. If only there were people out there that know how to service it. Looking for something more gas economical (we get 19 mpg)and a vehicle that fits tall people. Hate to give up on our Euro and its camp capabilities, etc. Don't like the backward facing middle seats and the cutback on leg room in the back.

Height, passenger room, ease of driving, safety, great brakes, "character".

Seat covering too cheap, fuzzes off. Hate the cut in width to add step-ups that are useless. Need room between front seats and leg room on passenger side back. Front inconvenient, no storage. Back facing seats are uncomfortable and not safe. Engine in front made the Euro ordinary and cut space.

Engine Oil Failure
By 2001 Eurovan

2001 Volkswagen EuroVan GLS 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

The oil housings on these vans are made of plastic and are broken easily during oil changes. We lost all the oil and it ruined our engine. Each time we get oil changes we have to ensure the housing is not cracked. We asked Volkswagen to recall these vans but they refused. We absolutely hate the van because of this issue!

Replace the plastic oil housings which get hot and brittle and then crack leaking out all engine oil. Replace them with metal housings.

2001 Volkswagen EuroVan
By euronut

2001 Volkswagen EuroVan GLS 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

My 2001 Volkswagen EuroVan is a performer and fun to drive. We tow a boat with it and take long road trips. For traveling, you can't beat it. The reliability is poor and the repair costs are higher than most cars with the standard brake job costing $800. You should factor a 30% increase on repairs for Eurovan over a Golf or a Jetta. They are hard to work on and parts are scarce.

Not a typical Minivan
By Pennsylvania

2001 Volkswagen EuroVan GLS 3dr Minivan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

With little interest in a van that has 16 cup holders the Eurovan wasthe perfect match for our clan.The seats are a pain.I now have my mechanic remove,storeandinstall the rear seat when needed.A/Cis powerful.The engine never lacksneeded speed.When you first drive this car,you sit up high like a bus driveran experience that takes getting useto. Never do I feel thattipping/rollingis an issue.The middle seats and the A/Ccompressor have broke.This oversized beast is missing the bells and whistles Soccer Moms demand. However,my van can haul 7 adults comfortably, a dog, groceries and luggage for a week and never feel under powered.

When a fellow VW Eurovan/Bus (old or new)gives you a peace sign driving by.

Seats.