1997 Volkswagen EuroVan Minivan 2.8L V6 4-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

1997 Volkswagen Eurovan - Consumer Reviews

Campmobile 2.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (5 reviews )

1997 EuroVan Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
VW Finally Got It Right !!
By Sheldon

1997 Volkswagen EuroVan Minivan Campmobile 3dr Minivan

This is our second VW Camper, the first being a '78 Westfalia Model. Bought both new, and have had this '97 Eurovan Camper for almost 13 years now. All the complaints and problems of the old VW "bus" models have been corrected with this 6-cyclinder model. It has ample power, runs smooth and quiet, is extremely dependable, versatile, and loads of fun to drive and camp -- and, it fits in the garage! The Winnebago camper conversion package is far superior to the older Westfalia conversions --- everything works perfectly! We have had no serious problems with either the vehicle or the camping equipment. After all the years that VW built their 'bus' models, they FINALLY got it right!!

Favorite Features

Still fits in the garage. Totally self-contained camping. 3-way refrigerator (AC/DC/propane) Excellent fit and finish inside & out. Comfortable front seating. Both Potable & gray water holding tanks. Stainless Steel sink & stovetop. 18-21mpg fuel economy. Onboard furnace for cold weather.

Suggested Improvements

VW, in all their wisdom, afer finally getting their van right with the Eurovan and Winnebago's excellent camper conversion package, decided to discontinue the Eurovan and replace it with that stupid Chrysler Corporation mini-van with a VW nameplate. No more VW quality built van or camper!

VW Camper, The best engine yet
By ftlsurfr

1997 Volkswagen EuroVan Minivan Campmobile 3dr Minivan

I have owned 6 VW camper vans, and the 1997 model with the 6 cyl engine, has finally gotten enough power to adequately move the vehicle. Earlier 4 cyl versions were plagued with under powered engines, which burned out quickly in South FLorida. I understand that the1997 engine is the same as used on Audi. I have had no problems at all, except the air conditioning, which had to have the compressor replaced. Still get 20 mpg on the highway under normal conditions.

Favorite Features

live in comfort

Suggested Improvements

Design in a toilet and shower

fun car
By ptrevino

1997 Volkswagen EuroVan Minivan Campmobile 3dr Minivan

I've been a passenger in this typr of vehicle many times. Tons of room, comfortable ride. If I had a son-in- law I'd make him a hell of a deal if I ever sold this van.

Favorite Features

storage capacity and camping comforts

Suggested Improvements

aerodynamics are pretty rough

a Fun Car
By Dick McKenney

1997 Volkswagen EuroVan Minivan Campmobile 3dr Minivan

This is my 2nd VW camper. This model I could actually pass other cars even on a hill! The stove, refrig etc were also a marked upgrade from my old Westphalia. My wife and I have been able to spend many nights at some remote areas not accessible to motels and commercial campgrounds. We were used to not requiring a "hookup" for our electrical equipment. The gas gives us lots of freedom. We'd travel with our kayak and bikes.

Favorite Features

Knowing that we were a "self contained" camper able to go anywhere!!

Great Multifunctional Vehicle
By Linda Treml

1997 Volkswagen EuroVan Minivan Campmobile 3dr Minivan

From the conversion items to the VW mfrs stock unit, this is a reliable, roomy and multifunctional car for families and people with an adventurous spirit. Refrigerator, stove, sink, storage and many extras make this the van for going anywhere, doing anything. We particularly appreciated the safety of smoke alarms, carbon mono alarms and propanes warning systems. There is space for up to six passengers and engine accessibility with a 2nd battery for the extras. At 18 mpg and a V6 engine that easily takes the mountains without a strain, this is the vacation and/or in-town vehicle that does it all. We had virtually no engine problems as yet at 63k.

Favorite Features

Our favorite features: Space for storage of cooking equip, clothes and food for a week; a pop-up top that provides an additional double bed; and a water tank with an outside mini- shower for rinsing off at the beach or refilling the dog dish, etc.

Suggested Improvements

VW -- better air conditioning with more vents for the rear passengers;better seat belt system for shorter people; and higher grade tires at the sale point. Winnebago-- closet doors with easier sliders; larger water tank; and a refer that doesn't require such a high degree of 'level'.