Used 1997 Volkswagen EuroVan Campmobile Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Volkswagen EuroVan - Consumer Reviews

Campmobile 2.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (6 reviews )

To buy...or NOT to buy...That is the QUESTION
By Dr. Leon"ski"

1997 Volkswagen EuroVan Campmobile 3dr Minivan

It is NOT the older VW camper bus! Much improved. Different engine, (a good thing), somewhat better mileage, and self-contained for a few adults, pets, and a few children. It should not be considered a vehicle you can walk around in or cook while going down the road. Once you reach the campsite, the excitement of the VW begins. Bring along a porto-pottie for the kids, and stay at a place that has water for showers, or a lake for bathing. You'll have your own propane, but will need a small generator or electric hook-up. Portable lanterns are handy. Most of the "newer" VW campers carry bikes on the trailer-hitch attachment. Parts are available, but immediate parts--when traveling,-may take a few days. What ever you pay for the Vehicle will only go up! I have owned three of the beasts, and loved 'em all!

VW Finally Got It Right !!
By Sheldon

1997 Volkswagen EuroVan Campmobile 3dr Minivan

This is our second VW Camper, the first being a '78 Westfalia Model. Bought both new, and have had this '97 Eurovan Camper for almost 13 years now. All the complaints and problems of the old VW "bus" models have been corrected with this 6-cyclinder model. It has ample power, runs smooth and quiet, is extremely dependable, versatile, and loads of fun to drive and camp -- and, it fits in the garage! The Winnebago camper conversion package is far superior to the older Westfalia conversions --- everything works perfectly! We have had no serious problems with either the vehicle or the camping equipment. After all the years that VW built their 'bus' models, they FINALLY got it right!!

Still fits in the garage. Totally self-contained camping. 3-way refrigerator (AC/DC/propane) Excellent fit and finish inside & out. Comfortable front seating. Both Potable & gray water holding tanks. Stainless Steel sink & stovetop. 18-21mpg fuel economy. Onboard furnace for cold weather.

VW, in all their wisdom, afer finally getting their van right with the Eurovan and Winnebago's excellent camper conversion package, decided to discontinue the Eurovan and replace it with that stupid Chrysler Corporation mini-van with a VW nameplate. No more VW quality built van or camper!

VW Camper, The best engine yet
By ftlsurfr

1997 Volkswagen EuroVan Campmobile 3dr Minivan

I have owned 6 VW camper vans, and the 1997 model with the 6 cyl engine, has finally gotten enough power to adequately move the vehicle. Earlier 4 cyl versions were plagued with under powered engines, which burned out quickly in South FLorida. I understand that the1997 engine is the same as used on Audi. I have had no problems at all, except the air conditioning, which had to have the compressor replaced. Still get 20 mpg on the highway under normal conditions.

live in comfort

Design in a toilet and shower

fun car
By ptrevino

1997 Volkswagen EuroVan Campmobile 3dr Minivan

I've been a passenger in this typr of vehicle many times. Tons of room, comfortable ride. If I had a son-in- law I'd make him a hell of a deal if I ever sold this van.

storage capacity and camping comforts

aerodynamics are pretty rough

a Fun Car
By Dick McKenney

1997 Volkswagen EuroVan Campmobile 3dr Minivan

This is my 2nd VW camper. This model I could actually pass other cars even on a hill! The stove, refrig etc were also a marked upgrade from my old Westphalia. My wife and I have been able to spend many nights at some remote areas not accessible to motels and commercial campgrounds. We were used to not requiring a "hookup" for our electrical equipment. The gas gives us lots of freedom. We'd travel with our kayak and bikes.

Knowing that we were a "self contained" camper able to go anywhere!!

• SUV