1997 Volkswagen EuroVan - Consumer Reviews

Campmobile 2.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (5 reviews )
VW Finally Got It Right !!
By Sheldon on 03/11/10 06:45 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen EuroVan Campmobile 3dr Minivan

This is our second VW Camper, the first being a '78 Westfalia Model. Bought both new, and have had this '97 Eurovan Camper for almost 13 years now. All the complaints and problems of the old VW "bus" models have been corrected with this 6-cyclinder model. It has ample power, runs smooth and quiet, is extremely dependable, versatile, and loads of fun to drive and camp -- and, it fits in the garage! The Winnebago camper conversion package is far superior to the older Westfalia conversions --- everything works perfectly! We have had no serious problems with either the vehicle or the camping equipment. After all the years that VW built their 'bus' models, they FINALLY got it right!!

VW Camper, The best engine yet
By ftlsurfr on 02/26/08 19:38 PM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen EuroVan Campmobile 3dr Minivan

I have owned 6 VW camper vans, and the 1997 model with the 6 cyl engine, has finally gotten enough power to adequately move the vehicle. Earlier 4 cyl versions were plagued with under powered engines, which burned out quickly in South FLorida. I understand that the1997 engine is the same as used on Audi. I have had no problems at all, except the air conditioning, which had to have the compressor replaced. Still get 20 mpg on the highway under normal conditions.

fun car
By ptrevino on 10/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen EuroVan Campmobile 3dr Minivan

I've been a passenger in this typr of vehicle many times. Tons of room, comfortable ride. If I had a son-in- law I'd make him a hell of a deal if I ever sold this van.

a Fun Car
By Dick McKenney on 09/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen EuroVan Campmobile 3dr Minivan

This is my 2nd VW camper. This model I could actually pass other cars even on a hill! The stove, refrig etc were also a marked upgrade from my old Westphalia. My wife and I have been able to spend many nights at some remote areas not accessible to motels and commercial campgrounds. We were used to not requiring a "hookup" for our electrical equipment. The gas gives us lots of freedom. We'd travel with our kayak and bikes.

Great Multifunctional Vehicle
By Linda Treml on 08/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen EuroVan Campmobile 3dr Minivan

From the conversion items to the VW mfrs stock unit, this is a reliable, roomy and multifunctional car for families and people with an adventurous spirit. Refrigerator, stove, sink, storage and many extras make this the van for going anywhere, doing anything. We particularly appreciated the safety of smoke alarms, carbon mono alarms and propanes warning systems. There is space for up to six passengers and engine accessibility with a 2nd battery for the extras. At 18 mpg and a V6 engine that easily takes the mountains without a strain, this is the vacation and/or in-town vehicle that does it all. We had virtually no engine problems as yet at 63k.