1993 Volkswagen EuroVan Consumer Review: Best first car

1993 Volkswagen EuroVan - Consumer Review

Best first car
By taizo on

1993 Volkswagen EuroVan MV 3dr Minivan

My dad bought our Eurovan back in 1997, when I was just a yungun (more than I am now), and ever since then our family has had great experience after great experience in this van.

This is the car I learned to drive on, and I have to say after putting several thousand miles on it, I love it. Yes, I have driven other standard shift cars (some very sporty ones at that), and after nearly 200K the gearbox is still great.

Until it was about 12 years old, it had absolutely no mechanical issues. Sure, parts and repairs can be expensive as heck, but that doesn't take away from how amazing this van is.

Just the other day I drove it over the 193,000 mile mark, and I can't wait to get it to 200,000

Great visibility, easy to drive, great learning vehicle, you can beat the heck out of it, fantastic build quality, great rust protection (coming from the northwest!), ok fuel efficiency for the type of vehicle, awesome for camping, comfortable seats, momentum, momentum, momentum, forgiving tranny, simple controls, easily accessible dash layout, super reliable, German, people mover, junk mover, A/C, fridge, dinner table, soccer parents, pop-up westfalia top, sleeps two adults and two kids, plenty of room for tall people (I'm 6'5" and i fit with headroom to spare), really modifiable, 7 passenger max, if you get in a crash, chances are you'll be on top (alive), not enough room for anything else

noisy on the highway, plastic accessories break after a while (cupholders, handles, etc.), stiff ride, heavy, sways on tight turns, underpowered, everything from the engine to the gearbox is about maximizing torque, need to install a CD player if you want more than stock

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review