Fun to drive, but think before you buy
By greasemonkey12 on
2012 Volkswagen Eos Komfort SULEV 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)
My wife wanted to buy a convertible when we moved to GA from NY. We chose the Eos because of the hard top because our infant son. We also liked the roll over protection that is built into the rear head rests. However with the top down you have little room for cargo. We expected this, however I can barely fit my golf clubs in the trunk, even with the top up. The turbo charged engine is OK and fun at first, however it takes some pedal control to come off the line without slamming yourself back into the seat, when the turbo kicks in.
Favorite Features
The hard top is by far the best reason to buy an Eos if you are looking for a convertible. The MPG is great! I drive 87 miles each way for work and 80 miles of that is on the highway. I average about 32 MPG when on commuting to work (I get about 450 miles on a tank). Combined driving, I get about 28.2 MPG. The media interface screen is a great feature. You can hook up your iphone via the built in bluetooth (also has built in iphone charger). The windscreen is nice to use on the highway to reduce wind noise, however it takes up a lot of room in the trunk. The back seat is small, but we have no issues with using a car seat.
Suggested Improvements
I do have a few complaints. I would love if they offered the jetta diesel engine. Volks put the front end of the jetta on the Eos for looks, but left out that great engine. When I am driving the Eos, I am very comfortable (my daily drive is 1 hr 15 min each way), however getting in is a pain for me (6 foot, 225 lbs). I have to put the seat all the way to ground and to the rear. It leaves very little room in the rear seat for anyone bigger than a teenager. My last dig at Volks is their vehicle maintence plan. I LOVE changing my own oil and air filter. However, if you do you will violate your warrenty.