Used 2012 Volkswagen Eos Komfort SULEV Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Eos - Consumer Reviews

2012 Volkswagen Eos

View reviews for a specific Eos model:

LOOOOVE THIS CAR
By Roger C

2012 Volkswagen Eos Komfort SULEV 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Great car ..... looks super with top up or down. Convertible top lowering and raising is a thing of beauty to see how it all fits together perfectly. Grandson refers to it as "grandpa's transformer car." Great mileage -- up to 30 mpg on highway trips; average about 21 on mixed city and highway. Leather upholstery held up wonderfully -- no sign of wear at all.
Only slight negatives are little difficulty getting out of back seat (but what 2-door doesn't have the same problem?) and such limited trunk space when the top is down (but ... there's nowhere else for it to go now, is there?)
Wouldn't recommend for the sole car of a family, but for retirees it's a great car ... nice looking and surprisingly faaast when you punch it.

Most Unreliable Car We Have Owned
By Richard Klausner

2012 Volkswagen Eos Komfort SULEV 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

This car, though a blast when it is running, has spent more time in the shop than any car we have ever owned. We have owned Honda Ridegeline, Toyota Rav 4, Nissan Pathfinder, and Honda Accord. This Volkswagen has spent more time in the shop in 45,000 miles than all of the other cars combined, and each of those were traded in around 100,000 miles. This car was supposed to be my wife's dream car, but it has turned into our worst nightmare. We have just been extremely frustrated with such an expensive car..

Bad Trans. Twice. Plus other major problems
By johnlaf

2012 Volkswagen Eos Komfort SULEV 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

We've had the car for about 30 of the 36 month lease.
During the 30 months, car has been in the shop MORE than 60 days total (lost count).
There have been 3 major oil leaks, parts failures, and the transmission needed to be repaired twice.
The parts had to come from Germany.
Glad we chose to lease.
Can't wait to get rid of this thing.

Convertible.

VW should just give up on this one.

Bad Choice
By bryceba

2012 Volkswagen Eos Komfort SULEV 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I was dead set on getting a hard top, four seat convertible, and in my price range, there was only this and the Chrysler 200.
I've never owned a Chrysler and don't want to.
So that left this.
Within two weeks of picking up the brand new 2012, the leaks started.
VW won't fix it because they "can't diganose it."
The way they "diagnose" it is to run a three inch Home Depot shower head attached to a hose suspended a foot over the center of the top of the car.
Turns out when it rains in Rochester, NY, it rains over the entire car, not just a three inch spot over the center.
VW America is a nightmare of a company to deal with.

There are none. I hate getting into this car everytime i have to, which is everyday. All I can do is look to see if it has leaked. And if it has rained, it has likely leaked.

No suggestions. After only 7 years they will be discontinuing the vehicle that never sold well. If the car didn't leak, or at least VW America took any sort of responsibility, I might have a different opinion of the car. Maybe if $35,000 was not such a huge deal to me, I would be less upset about it. I just regret that I did not go the miata route. Quality is more important than two tiny back seats.

Fun to drive, but think before you buy
By greasemonkey12

2012 Volkswagen Eos Komfort SULEV 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

My wife wanted to buy a convertible when we moved to GA from NY.
We chose the Eos because of the hard top because our infant son.
We also liked the roll over protection that is built into the rear head rests.
However with the top down you have little room for cargo.
We expected this, however I can barely fit my golf clubs in the trunk, even with the top up.
The turbo charged engine is OK and fun at first, however it takes some pedal control to come off the line without slamming yourself back into the seat, when the turbo kicks in.

The hard top is by far the best reason to buy an Eos if you are looking for a convertible. The MPG is great! I drive 87 miles each way for work and 80 miles of that is on the highway. I average about 32 MPG when on commuting to work (I get about 450 miles on a tank). Combined driving, I get about 28.2 MPG. The media interface screen is a great feature. You can hook up your iphone via the built in bluetooth (also has built in iphone charger). The windscreen is nice to use on the highway to reduce wind noise, however it takes up a lot of room in the trunk. The back seat is small, but we have no issues with using a car seat.

I do have a few complaints. I would love if they offered the jetta diesel engine. Volks put the front end of the jetta on the Eos for looks, but left out that great engine. When I am driving the Eos, I am very comfortable (my daily drive is 1 hr 15 min each way), however getting in is a pain for me (6 foot, 225 lbs). I have to put the seat all the way to ground and to the rear. It leaves very little room in the rear seat for anyone bigger than a teenager. My last dig at Volks is their vehicle maintence plan. I LOVE changing my own oil and air filter. However, if you do you will violate your warrenty.