Used 2012 Volkswagen Eos Komfort SULEV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Eos - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eos model:

Bad Trans. Twice. Plus other major problems
By johnlaf

2012 Volkswagen Eos Komfort SULEV 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

We've had the car for about 30 of the 36 month lease. During the 30 months, car has been in the shop MORE than 60 days total (lost count). There have been 3 major oil leaks, parts failures, and the transmission needed to be repaired twice. The parts had to come from Germany. Glad we chose to lease. Can't wait to get rid of this thing.

Convertible.

VW should just give up on this one.

Bad Choice
By bryceba

2012 Volkswagen Eos Komfort SULEV 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I was dead set on getting a hard top, four seat convertible, and in my price range, there was only this and the Chrysler 200. I've never owned a Chrysler and don't want to. So that left this. Within two weeks of picking up the brand new 2012, the leaks started. VW won't fix it because they "can't diganose it." The way they "diagnose" it is to run a three inch Home Depot shower head attached to a hose suspended a foot over the center of the top of the car. Turns out when it rains in Rochester, NY, it rains over the entire car, not just a three inch spot over the center. VW America is a nightmare of a company to deal with.

There are none. I hate getting into this car everytime i have to, which is everyday. All I can do is look to see if it has leaked. And if it has rained, it has likely leaked.

No suggestions. After only 7 years they will be discontinuing the vehicle that never sold well. If the car didn't leak, or at least VW America took any sort of responsibility, I might have a different opinion of the car. Maybe if $35,000 was not such a huge deal to me, I would be less upset about it. I just regret that I did not go the miata route. Quality is more important than two tiny back seats.

Fun to drive, but think before you buy
By greasemonkey12

2012 Volkswagen Eos Komfort SULEV 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

My wife wanted to buy a convertible when we moved to GA from NY. We chose the Eos because of the hard top because our infant son. We also liked the roll over protection that is built into the rear head rests. However with the top down you have little room for cargo. We expected this, however I can barely fit my golf clubs in the trunk, even with the top up. The turbo charged engine is OK and fun at first, however it takes some pedal control to come off the line without slamming yourself back into the seat, when the turbo kicks in.

The hard top is by far the best reason to buy an Eos if you are looking for a convertible. The MPG is great! I drive 87 miles each way for work and 80 miles of that is on the highway. I average about 32 MPG when on commuting to work (I get about 450 miles on a tank). Combined driving, I get about 28.2 MPG. The media interface screen is a great feature. You can hook up your iphone via the built in bluetooth (also has built in iphone charger). The windscreen is nice to use on the highway to reduce wind noise, however it takes up a lot of room in the trunk. The back seat is small, but we have no issues with using a car seat.

I do have a few complaints. I would love if they offered the jetta diesel engine. Volks put the front end of the jetta on the Eos for looks, but left out that great engine. When I am driving the Eos, I am very comfortable (my daily drive is 1 hr 15 min each way), however getting in is a pain for me (6 foot, 225 lbs). I have to put the seat all the way to ground and to the rear. It leaves very little room in the rear seat for anyone bigger than a teenager. My last dig at Volks is their vehicle maintence plan. I LOVE changing my own oil and air filter. However, if you do you will violate your warrenty.

Beware of Defective Water pumps
By susanb122

2012 Volkswagen Eos Komfort SULEV 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I bought a 2012 EOS in April of 2011. As of this writing 12/24/11, I only have 3,100 miles on the car and it has had 3 water pumps put in. Fortunately, the car has not broken down yet, but the water pumps build up pressure after the cars warm up and a screeching noise can be heard from under the hood. My first was found by accident. With only 400 miles on the car, I had gotten out to run back into the house to retireve something and I heard the noise. I brought it back to the dealer and was told VW had a batch of defective water pumps and they would put another one in, which they did. Stand outside your EOS and listen for the noise! My car is being replaced.

The hard top convertible

Bought the extended warranty specifically for the hard top only to find out later it does not cover the top. I do not care for the positioning of the cup holders Would like to see the tool box in the truck put somewhere else as it takes up very valuable trunk space.

A Solid Winner, 2012 VW Eos
By sandboxkid

2012 Volkswagen Eos Komfort SULEV 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

This senior has been driving domestic cars for 50+ years and recently leased a 2012 Eos Komfort convertible. My prior lease was a Pontiac G6 hardtop convertible The Eos blows the G6 away in many aspects and I loved that car.  Some words I use to describe the Eos are fun, quick, smooth, and beautiful. After 30 days and 1000 miles, I find the quality of workmanship and operation to be excellent. My mixed driving habits net me 28.3 mpg overall. The rear seating is fine for grandkids but I usually do not use these seats.  With the top in the trunk, you still have some room to go grocery shopping, not so with the G6. The wind screen behind the front seats is a welcome feature.  The car gives just enough road presence that you think you're driving a sport's car.There is a moderate learning curve for all the gadgets facing the driver, so engage your dealer's knowledge at delivery. My VW professionals made me very comfortable.  There is a vast array of exterior colors, I picked the Black Oak Brown with beige interior which has attracted many lookers. It was in the brochure and hooked me immediately. Now I can't stop finding reasons to drive my new Eos.

Awesome sun-roofed hardtop convertible, 2-liter turbo engine and 6-gear tranny, restyled body, blue-tooth, heated seats

I miss automatic headlights (available on next trim level).  The rear headrests are fixed, the rear corner posts are large, and the rear window area is small (black surround); all of which restrict rear visibility with the top raised.