Used 2009 Volkswagen Eos Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Eos - Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Eos Convertible

View reviews for a specific Eos model:

Problem free for 50K miles!
By rcboater

2009 Volkswagen Eos Convertible Komfort 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought my car new in May 2009. Car is now five years old, and we've put 50,000 fun-filled miles on it. MPG is pretty good, too. On the highway, I get 32 MPG. In my mixed suburban driving, I will get about 28 if I drive normally, but have gotten as high as 35 on the same route by driving conservatively. My car has never leaked- but I paid heed to the advice on the owner forums to lubricate the roof seals annually, to keep them soft and pliable. (That's a 20 minute job.) I've had NO issues with the mechanical aspects of the car-- to date, the only thing outside of regular scheduled fluid changes was new rear brake pads at 31K miles.

Favorite Features

Top down motoring is the best! The rear wind deflector really works well, keeps your hair form blowing in your face. We even go out in winter-- put the top down, windows and deflector up, and enjoy a turbulence-free drive! We wanted a convertible that was quiet on the highway with the top up, and this was the best of all the ones we test drove. We also like the security of a hardtop when the top is up. The car is very comfortable on long trips-- that was the item that led us to pick this over a Mini Convertible. I find the car to be plenty peppy-- and fun to drive on curvy back roads. The 2.0 turbo engine has plenty of power.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the car had steering wheel controls for the audio. In 2009 MY, that was only an option on the LUX-- which would have meant giving up my manual transmission. As a result, the bluetooth integration in the Komfort is rather lame. (My iphone rings, I have to answer it on the phone's screen, and then I can talk hands free. )

this is the one!
By atlanticdave

2009 Volkswagen Eos Convertible Komfort 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

unlike so many other folks who seem to have owned nothing but foreign cars, i have only ever driving u.s.-made cars...and, although i know that american cars are essentially now the best they've ever been the quality they've ever been, i have to say i have never owned or driven anything as nice as this car...i am saddened that not all of us have had positive experiences...i purchased it three years old, with 14,000 miles on it...and i just want to say, so far, so GREAT! nice ride, nice interior comfort, great sound system, very head-turning and eye-catching, plenty of acceleration, i recommend this car without hesitation! i have driven it 6,000 miles, and have nothing but positive things

Favorite Features

to say about it...love the mp 3 player, love the satellite radio, love the inlet for my ipod, the moonroof along with the hard-top convertible is a unique and amazing combination! it is exceptionally quiet-it is the fourth convertible i've owned, and it is just so much better than anything i have owned before! the heated front seats are fantastic, especially for a new england winter, and it truly makes driving fun!

Suggested Improvements

i would like if it had cruise and volume controls in the steering wheels...those are nice touches in nicer cars, of which this is one

Worst Car Ever
By jlmurray81

2009 Volkswagen Eos Convertible Komfort 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I leased this car back in August on 2008 and have had nothing but problems with it and the dealership ever since. Four weeks after I leased the car, a transmission valve had to be replaced. I learned about his problem only after nearly being killed on the freeway because my car lost all forward momentum. To add insult to injury the dealership insisted it was my starter that caused this issue. Only after speaking to a mechanic was this issue actually addressed. The dealership had my car for over three weeks and tried to charge me for the rental car. Approximately a year later the manufacture issued a recall for this transmission value issue.

Suggested Improvements

On extremely hot days the navigation/radio will randomly turn off and not come back on, this issue has happened three times which requires a trip to the dealer to be rebooted each time. I rarely take this car on any trip over 100 miles as I am concerned with the reliability. Most recently I took the car on a 250 mile trip and sure enough the Malfunction Indicator light illuminated on our way home. We did everything the manual suggests to address the MIL. Upon our return the car started to idle very rough and the transmission would kick when slowly climbing up hills. We dropped the car off at the dealership at the night drop. Only after calling four times through out the next day did I find out that the exhaust manifold flaps had to be replaced? The dealership had the car for two days and didnít offer me a rental car. All of these issues were covered by the warranty; however, I have left my car with the dealership for over a month during my 36 month lease. I only have 27k miles on my car and I donít even trust it to get me to and from work, which is 7 miles from my home.

DEFECTIVE TRANSMISSION
By BOCA LEN

2009 Volkswagen Eos Convertible Komfort 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Overall my EOS is a reasonably priced convertible with generally good quality. I bought the car new. I drive to work and never abuse the car - just basic transportation However, at 1400 miles the transmission blew and had to be replaced with what I now know is a refurbished unit. Last week at 10,000 miles the refurbished transmission blew again. The dealer wants to replace with a refurbished unit again. VW extended the warranty, the dealer has been pleasant to work with and provides a loaner car. The point is, this transmission is too complex. I thing that anyone considering buying a VW with this transmission needs to be aware of the problems that are inherent with this unit. Beware!

Favorite Features

drop top

Suggested Improvements

VW needs to find a decent transmission to put into these cars. Simply covering them under warranty does not ameliorate the hassle and inconvenience of continually replacing the transmissions which self-destruct every 10,000 miles. (at least for me)

FUN2BEHAD
By FunFunFun

2009 Volkswagen Eos Convertible Komfort 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I had a 2006 Passat on lease. I had been looking for 6 months for a convertible. VW let me out of my lease for a ridiculous amount and I got a EOS. I had tried the Toyota, Sebring and a few others but loved the handling of the EOS. It's fun, no problems, lots of compliments. Most fun driving ever. The back seat is small, but deep and bigger then the Volvo, Lexus etc.. I always get compliments on the car. It's been so much fun. Great for road trips to the beach.

Favorite Features

Hardtop Convertible/Sunroof, heated seats

Suggested Improvements

lock for trunk when valet parking...available in Passat, but not EOS