Used 2008 Volkswagen Eos Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen Eos Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eos model:

It's been a very satisfactory vehicle.
By richardb3

2008 Volkswagen Eos Convertible Turbo 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

After 17 months, this 2008 VW Eos has performed reliably and has been very satisfactory overall. The top has worked as promised, with but one instance of stalling in mid-operation. In that instance I was able to retract the top normally. The dealer lubricated the roof seals and the problem has not recurred. The fit and finish are great and the styling both inside and outside is pleasing. Engine performance has been fine. The car has plenty of zip in D mode and exceptional zip -- really like a sports car -- in Sport mode. I have had to add oil twice in addition to regular maintenance oil changes and that is disappointing. However, I actually get highway mileage greater than 36 mpg.

Retractable hardtop is a blast. No leaks of any kind in the cabin or trunk. Really fun to drive. Love the turbo power. Interior is well-crafted, attractive and comfortable. Trunk space with top us is more than adequate for my needs, and actually not bad even with roof down.

I wish the car wouldn't consume as much oil, but evidently that happens with this particular engine and maybe that is the price to pay for what I consider to be reliable and very sporty performance coupled with outstanding fuel economy.

BUYER BEWARE
By PJ

2008 Volkswagen Eos Convertible Turbo 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I was very excited when first purchasing this car.That changed quickly.This car has always burned 3 quarts of oil between changes.Volks says "that is normal".I have had the ac condenser and compressor replaced.The typical water leak issues are insane.The ac still can not be used because the air has a horrible smell to it.I have had the car towed 2x due to the car shaking and shutting down.This is supposed to be a luxury vehicle.I have had nothing but aggravation.I will be trading this vehicle,selling private is not an option.I will accept my loss and be happy to be rid of it.Very disappointing.

Where do I start......

Transmission Nightmare!
By R Ives

2008 Volkswagen Eos Convertible Lux 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I loved this car when I first purchased it. At about 500 miles, the transmission started to buck and loose power accelerating into traffic. Dealer could not find the problem. The problems started getting worse until it was jerking an shaking when backing or proceeding slowly. After numerous complaints they finally replaced the Mechtronic unit. That fixed it for about another 100 miles. Now it's starting all over again. I've had 3 situations where the car lost transmission power while proceeding into traffic. I wouldn't recommend the automatic to anyone.

When this car is running properly it's a delight! Wonderful style and finishes. The retractable hard-top is way-cool.

Dump the DSG

Great value
By gester

2008 Volkswagen Eos Convertible Komfort 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Traded in my TT roadster. Love the power plant. Love the transmission. Love the roof. Got 20K on it now; no regrets at all (well, I wish I'd gotten the three years free maintenance but that's about it). Oh, and I guess I wish i'd gotten the ipod dock instead of the generic input jack.

The roof. the kids call it "the transformer." Always good value.

Bigger back seat; it's torture for an adult back there. Also, this car desperately needs a rear camera option; rear visibility when backing out is dreadful.

I Love My Eos
By danerice

2008 Volkswagen Eos Convertible Lux 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I got my Eos in May 2008 and 14 months later, I still smile every time I get behind the wheel! The hardtop/sunroof/convertible roof is brilliant. I get stares and smiles while putting the roof up on a regular basis. With the same 2.0 Turbo engine as the GTI, the car is peppy and fast. The 17-inch wheels are sporty and sharp. The leather and walnut interior is reminiscent of a car much higher priced. The upgraded Dynaudio stereo system rocks. The Ipod adpapter and navigation system would have been nice! My only complaints are the top-up styling isn't as slick as some other competitors, and interior noise can be an issue. Overall, this car is a blast and I would recommend it to anyone!

The roof is the show-stopper. I never cease to be amazed by the way it folds away so quickly and effortlessly. The stereo rocks, the seats are super-comfortable, and I love the dual zone temperature controls. Steering wheel controls are great, and the Direct Shift Gearbox unleashes 6-speed fun.

Future exterior styling could be a bit sportier. The seam between the trunk lid and the body could be tighter. Interior road noise could be reduced. Back seat could be a bit roomier. Automatic shifting could be a bit smoother when pedal is floored. Rain sensor wipers are a bit frustrating.