2015 Volkswagen e-Golf Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Volkswagen e-Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific e-Golf model:

Gas free diet!
By P Adl

2015 Volkswagen e-Golf Hatchback SEL Premium 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Range is not that great, but everything else is! I test drove most of the smaller EVs, the Fiat, the Smart car, the Leaf, etc. The best handling/driving one was the e-Golf. So I got it and have been driving it now for three months and enjoying it more every day. I work very close to home and one charge can keep me going for over a week with all the extra excursions, driving for shopping and errands. I did manage just over 105 miles with level 3 regeneration, and max limited power but it was slow. VW has free charging at their locations and I use them since one is close to my home and if one is on my way, I stop, charge and catch up with emails using their WiFi. I find it to be the most practical of all the smaller lower cost EVs out there because it is roomy, comfortable, reasonable luggage capacity, with all the bells and whistles I could want. Now if they could just increase the range!

e-Golf is a fraud.
By angel bou

2015 Volkswagen e-Golf Hatchback SEL Premium 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

- Customer service won't help unless your attorney calls.
- My e-Golf broke the 4th day and it's been being repaired for a month now. Still waiting. They don't even know what's wrong...
- No loaner provided. No compensation. But yeah, I keep paying the lease despite not driving my car for a month
- Buy a Volt, a Leaf or a Tesla. Don't even think on a e-Golf. Don't ever consider a Volkswagen.

Time Delayed Charging Feature-Forced to Use CARNET
By Marc Hartranft

2015 Volkswagen e-Golf Hatchback Limited Edition 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

The ONLY gripe with this car is VW's insistence that one must use CARNET software interface to enable time delayed charging feature@!!

Talk about greedy!! Once the free use period runs out, they will begin to charge to use this web interface.

Why would VW set up the car to not be able to support Level II chargers which support time delayed charge start times??

The dealer was "uninformed" or unwilling to disclose the limitation.

e-Golf is an unreliable nightmare
By John Smith

2015 Volkswagen e-Golf Hatchback Limited Edition 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

This car does not charge properly. The range is a complete lie. It might be able to go 50 miles on a charge - nowhere near the range of the lie on the sticker. Acceleration is abysmal. I had a leaf that I traded in and am so sorry I did. VW has been a complete nightmare to deal with. Both the dealership and horrible people at VW customer service. If you want a crappy car that will leave you stranded, from a horrible company, you should immediately get an e-Golf.

City Stealthmobile BEV
By Randy

2015 Volkswagen e-Golf Hatchback SEL Premium 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

This is a 2nd car for me, for driving around in the city. The car does have limited range, I can get 5.5-5.8 miles per kwh, but I am retired and I do drive at or under the speed limit at all times, with most consumer devices turned off.
What I like most about the e-golf is that it is just another Golf. It does not draw attention to itself. It does not say "hey, look at me, I'm a hybrid or electric car". It's low key, it's quiet, it's stealthy, and most importantly, it drives, due to it's heritage, like a german engineered car. Not like a japanese electric or hybrid econobox. It is purposeful, it's a city car, pure and simple. If I need to do a long distance trip, or get out of town and do some major driving, the TDI I have is for long distance trips.

It's hard to put into words how a german car drives, compared to a japanese car... but you know it was designed to drive on Autobahns, and in the German, Swiss, and French alps too, in the twisties. And for all the mountains and canyons I drive in, I demand the way a german car drives, and gladly pay the premium for it.

Update after 6 months: Still a nice car for the city and short trips. Key is to charge it at home, overnight, where filling up isn't so burdensome, and the cost of electricity is reasonable at $0.16 per kw, instead of using public infrastructure for recharging, which is quite a bit more expensive and time consuming, 2.5 to 3.25 hours each session. Forget about mooching electrons for free if you need a recharge, it's a business model doomed to failure. Provide your own infrastructure to charge, and you'll do fine.