2015 Volkswagen e-Golf Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Volkswagen e-Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific e-Golf model:

Really like it
By sweetwagon

2015 Volkswagen e-Golf SEL Premium 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I wanted to try out an EV. After over a month with the car, happy I chose this one. Best interior and looks out of all the budget EVs. So far this car is great. I've got two kids. It's become the primary car for just going around town. Definitely a great experience with my first EV. Can't wait to see the next iteration of EVs.

Love this car - 50% Tesla for 25% of the price is a great deal
By mrmichaelwill

2015 Volkswagen e-Golf SEL Premium 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I bought this car January 2015 assuming it is going to be our secondary car. Turns out its so much fun to drive that its used as our primary car, and we use the Honday Oddysee only when we need the extended range going on vacation, need more than 5 seats or transport bikes, or when second adult commutes to near by train station. At the rate it is going we are putting about 12k miles per year on the car, so I am glad I did not lease it.

Acceleration: Lots better from 0 to 40 than the 10 seconds for 0 to 60 suggest, always leave gas cars behind at light All electric: charging with siemens L2 charger in garage from solar energy gives a feeling of freedom without guilt Range: Official range of 83 miles (EPA) definitely too conservative, we get about 4-5 miles per kWh, 4 if driving sporty and economic, 5 if only driving economic. We have driven 100 miles on a single charge. bluetooth: connects to iPhone right away and plays where it left off when I enter the car steering wheel controls: skip song, volume, accept call, ... iphone app: car-net allows to see charging level, efficiency of driving etc Golf: 5 seats, trunk..

car-net iPhone app could definitely use some love, slow and unresponsive feeling, still incredibly useful when patient, but not using remote AC start as much as I would with better app. memorizing last state of AC settings instead of always reverting on power on to standard settings would be good Suspension/Seats are not ideal, feels a bit bumpy as a front seat side passenger compared to say my old gas jetta. Seats don't feel ideal for long legs. But I love that I can quickly move seat from all the way to front (wife setting) to all the way back because its mechanical and not electric - one annoyance on Oddysee takes forever.

E-Golf - Be Ware It is A Newly Introduced Car
By het3

2015 Volkswagen e-Golf SEL Premium 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

BUYER BEWARE. We recently purchased an e-golf that stopped driving. Car was charged and electrical system worked but it would not drive while in gear. It was towed to dealer (Capital VW in San Jose, CA). Service department reported that diagnostic showed 'power button was pressed', which was not the case, even so it should not stop functioning. After couple days we were told that 'firmware is updated' and that car can be picked up. No explanation of actually what had gone wrong. We were told to open a case with VW service. VW response was that 'car now works and is under warranty, take action outside of VW if you like'. Be ware that this is a newly introduced car with potential bugs.

Other than it stop functioning for no reason, this is a good car considering rebates from federal and state of CA for electrical car (total of $10k). Otherwise would think twice.

No garage door opener (strange for price point) and navigation system is slow and seems to be several generations old.

Great EV -- Extremely Pleased
By teconnor

2015 Volkswagen e-Golf Limited Edition 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I Highly recommend this eGolf. An EV with range that feels like a solid, real car. I'm extremely impressed with how it drives and feels. It's sporty, smooth, responsive, and more powerful than expected. It feels comparable to much pricier luxury compacts. Range is solid (100+ achievable under right conditions). The Car-Net (think OnStar by VW) bugs are a nuisance. If you need delayed charging, I'd wait for VW to resolve this (keep an eye on myvwegolf.com). As of May '15, some report success with the VW updates/fixes. My opinion (as a non-delay charger) is that the flawed 'extra' features do not distract from an otherwise solid vehicle and great EV.

Solid Feel Comfortable Ride Impressive Handling Sporty Response Smooth Drive Quiet as a Mouse Real Car/Golf Feel Stylish Console Good Range Impressive Features

Charger Unlocking Control Delayed Charging Fix Climate Settings Default

Do NOT Buy This Car
By Steve Burnett

2015 Volkswagen e-Golf SEL Premium 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I am a big fan of the electric car, I own a 2002 RAV 4 EV and love it. If possible, I will never buy a gas car again. I bought the e-Golf and regret it. Of the first 64 days I owned it, it was in the shop 19 days. Still less than 3,000 miles and new problems are cropping up (charging issues, won't lock). The dealer promised that delayed charging was possible using the infotainment system, then after I bought it informed me that it was only available through car-net at $199 per year fee. And it doesn't work. They promised a fix in six weeks, then they say it will be another 3 weeks. Avoid headaches, do NOT buy this car.

Regenerative braking, much better than Tesla and BMW. Good acceleration. Range (if charging works) better than advertised.

Car-Net is worthless, only 2 features are worthwhile and neither work. Delayed charging (charge overnight to get lower electric rates) from inside the car, not through the internet. Test it so the problems in ECO mode don't happen (the car can stop working altogether), no more charging problems, you can lock the doors, etc.