1990 Volkswagen Corrado Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Volkswagen Corrado - Consumer Reviews

1990 Corrado Consumer Reviews

Base 1.8L 4-cyl. Supercharger 5-speed Manual - (9 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Incredible Car
By JD

1990 Volkswagen Corrado 2dr Coupe

Bought this car used with 70K miles on it back in 97. It now has over 200K miles, has been very reliable for it's age, and a great car all around to own and drive. Very quick for a 1.8 liter engine, has superb handling and gets excellent gas mileage. Besides regular oil changes and tune ups, I've gone through 2 batteries, had to replace the fuel pump/filter twice now, and replaced the radiator, the water pump and the muffler when I put a stainless steel exhaust system on it several years ago. It looks sharp and I still get plenty of compliments on this car. No doubt this has been most reliable and the best car I've ever owned and it's looks are timeless.

Favorite Features

Reliability, excellent handling and fun to drive. Sharp contemporary styling.

Suggested Improvements

AC vents could be updated and would be nice to have cup holders. Would be great to see this car back into production with a 2.0 liter supercharged engine and all the modern amenities currently available.

1990 Corrado G60
By Scooter

1990 Volkswagen Corrado 2dr Coupe

This car get a lot of looks from many people. They tend to think that is a lot newer than it is but for being 18 years old, it looks fantastic. you can't beat the feeling og driving one of these cars, it never gets old. Make sure that you take one to the dealer BEFORE you buy it. Small things that aren't noticable at first can go bad quick and be costly. They should bring this car back out, it would sell nicely.

Favorite Features

I love the automatic locks and you can even roll up your windows with the key. The automatic spoiler is an eye catcher to almost any driver that is behind you.

Best Car to own!
By D

1990 Volkswagen Corrado 2dr Coupe

This car has been the best car I have ever owned. It has never left me stranded (never broke down for that matter). Even at 16 years old it is still fast and handles great! It gets 25 MPG in the city and 30-33 on the highway. I suggest that you get the G-Charger rebuilt every 100,000 miles. There are many clubs that keep the car young. It is just as great as it was when new. Five stars in my book for sure *****

Favorite Features

This car is very comfortable to drive. It haas excellent handling, lots of power, and it is very dependable.

Never had more fun
By skoolio

1990 Volkswagen Corrado 2dr Coupe

I had a corrado for 3 years...during that three years It was out of commission for more than 1 year, yet to this day I still regret selling it. I am a car enthusiast, and I have yet to drive a car that has made me feel more connected to the road. or happier that the corrado. I currently have a Nissan Sentra SE-R, but it pales in comparison. Today is 1/21/03 and by 2/15/03 I will own a new car, I have looked for a car that can embodie the spirit of the Corado, and I have found the Golf 1.8 litre turbo, the Audi TT 180 H.P. FWD, and the Mini Cooper S, I'll soon make a decision, and I'm leaning tword the audi, but time will tell....

Favorite Features

Drives like it's on velcro. My yellow paint!!

Suggested Improvements

Longer warranty, less electronic glitches, stronger tranny, and motor mounts. More relaiable in general.

Goodbye Corrado
By PghTom

1990 Volkswagen Corrado 2dr Coupe

After 10 yrs and 120k miles of fun, I'm about to sell my 1990 G60. It's been an engaging car and selling it was a tough decision, but it's getting old enough that I need to replace it with something more reliable (a MINI Cooper S is one of the few worthy cars on the market). The Corrado has a classic design that still looks current. Still looks great inside and out and is very well made overall. Some items needed repeated replacement (steering rack) while others are still original (clutch, rear shocks) after 140k miles. Had more trouble in the first 2 yrs, but later attributed most of that pain to an service from an untrustworthy dealer.

Favorite Features

Classic good looks, acceleration, handling, supple feel of the leather wheel and shifter, seats, rarity.

Suggested Improvements

Improve reliability of the sunroof and I'll take a cup holder (just one).

my corrado
By user9.5

1990 Volkswagen Corrado 2dr Coupe

i would buy one just to have

Favorite Features

the hole car

Suggested Improvements

come out with a 2004 corrado 1.8t.That would be to sweet.

Most Under Rated Automobile
By Davis

1990 Volkswagen Corrado 2dr Coupe

This is a truly exciting automobile. The styling has performance to match and the attention that this car gets from the public is incredible!

Favorite Features

Unique sex appeal, best performance in it's class and great staying power.

Suggested Improvements

Unfortunately all great autos have flaws. The Corrado has a faulty clip in the sunroof that breaks after some time, rendering the sunroof inoperable until replaced.

Great Car
By Skunk Burner

1990 Volkswagen Corrado 2dr Coupe

Relatively inexpensive car, although you will find cars being sold for twice the blue book value. These cars are pretty rare, and one in mint condition sells for 10k plus. So far the car continues to surprise me, and the people left behind me to look at its oh- so-cool automatic spoiler. For the average price of a Corrado at about $4500 to $5000 dollars, you are going to get a great looking car with a personality and peppy performance to boot. Granted it won't stick to corners like a Lotus, and it won't hit 180mph like a Ferrari, but for a relatively inexpensive car that can outperform things 10 years younger and 5 times the price... it's a great car.

Favorite Features

Easily hits 120 MPH. Looks great. Great sounding engine. Great acoustics for sound system. Rarity.

Suggested Improvements

I'd love to have them brought back... And leave the cup holders out.

A modern classic
By RawDogg

1990 Volkswagen Corrado 2dr Coupe

For a four-banger, the Corrado moves. The 'problematic' supercharger will last a lifetime if the car is cared for properly. The handling is what you'd expect from a German sports car ... solid. The design of the car still looks current. Particularly clean Corrados have passed for 2002 models. Look for the leather interior over the cheap looking cloth. Interior comfort may be lacking a bit, but if you cup holders and arm rests, buy an Aztek.

Favorite Features

The power, the handling and motorized rear spoiler!!!