Great looking German 'coupe' with solid performance
By black07gti on
2013 Volkswagen CC VR6 Lux 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6AM)
Overall, I am very happy with the CC. It's one of the best looking cars on the road, at least compared to anything under $50K, it has a fantastic looking interior (especially mine, which has the red and black seats), and the VR6 offers strong performance. You do sacrifice a little utility, but the CC is a unique vehicle that stands apart from the sea of Accords, Camrys, etc. It's also one of the few VWs that is actually made in Germany. I'll have to see about long-term reliability though. I would say either buy the Sport or the VR6 Lux. The intermediate 2.0T models simply aren't big enough upgrades to justify the price, while the VR6 adds a lot of important features.
Favorite Features
Exterior and interior style are probably the biggest selling points of the car. As mentioned, I have the black and red seats, which look fantastic. The HID headlights are also very strong. The big advantages of the Lux VR6, besides the more powerful engine, are real leather seats (including my red ones), the much superior RNS 510 nav and the backup camera, which I feel is a necessity for this car. The VR6 has more than enough power, though I would take the better fuel economy of the 2.0T if only VW would offer the other goodies with it.
Suggested Improvements
There are some oddities with the features and pricing. For example, keyless start, which is available on the Passat, is not available on any CC. Blindspot monitoring, radar cruise control, park assist, which are available on at least some competitors like the Fusion, are also not available on the CC. I also wish front parking sensors were available on the Lux instead of just the Exec. The low seating position makes it hard to judge where the front of the car is in relation to walls, other cars, etc. Gas mileage on the V6 is poor. I get about 20 MPG. Also, reliability is a watch-out with any VW. I had to get the motor that controls the power passenger mirror replaced already.
By predict
on 02/08/13 16:38 PM (PST)

I now have the 2013 VR6 Exec (recently upgraded from a 2010 CC Lux with all the bells and whistles). Because of the more even weight distribution of the 4 wheel drive and traction from all 4 wheels, I find the 4motion version to be a little bit less nose-heavy than the front wheel drive CC (yes, even from the 2.0 lire 4 cyl turbo version). Furthermore, the 4motion does not spin wheels and chirp wheel lie the front wheel drive versions do somtimes. I was afraid that front wheel drive V6 might be a little bit ponderous and nose-heavy (as I noticed from the 2003 Passat V6 GLX I had). I opted for the V6 Exec 4motion (instead of the front drive V6 CC) in order to get the front & rear park sensors and Dynaudio sound system (features that I had in the 2010 VW CC Lux that I found worthwhile). The bottom line, the VW CC Exec is very cost effective way to enjoy the best features in most German cars (very solid build quality and robust drive trains; excellent handling characteristic; very thoughtful engineering). To the critics complaining about the hight cost of the V6 Exec 4motion, have you tried pricing out a BMW 3 and 5 series; Mercedes C and E series; Lexus ES300 with similar equipment the V6 Exec 4 motion? Most likely you find most of the similar vehicles to the V6 Exec to be a bit pricier. One exception might be the 2013 Mercedes E class with promotions now (aggressive promotions now on 2013 E class to sell the remaining ones to make room for the new 2014 facelifted E class coming very very soon).

By black07gti
on 03/23/13 00:33 AM (PDT)

Good points about the advantages of the AWD on the Exec. I definitely have a little torque steer and wheelspin when I need to floor it. One problem is that in LA it's extremely difficult to find even a Lux and the Exec's are almost impossible to find on dealer lots.