Used 1992 Volkswagen Cabriolet Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Volkswagen Cabriolet - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabriolet model:

1992 Wolfsburg Model a total disaster
By JohnMcDougal

1992 Volkswagen Cabriolet Convertible Wolfsburg Classic 2dr Convertible

This was initially a great, fun, fuel efficient ride. After just 35,000 miles it had a massive coolant leak problem that cost thousands to repair despite the fact that it had been beautifully maintained with regular service at a certified shop. At 45,000 miles, the transmission went. This cost several thousand more dollars to repair. After that, it was all normal service (brakes, pumps, belts, etc). It was fine, if increasingly noisy, for years after this. Despite being garaged its whole life, the exterior pieces started to fall off. Then, the engine imploded on the freeway at 75,000 miles. At this point, we junked it.

Favorite Features

Pick up, gas mileage, firm supportive seats, turning radius, extremely durable interior, iconic VW minimalist design

Suggested Improvements

exterior durability, MECHANICAL RELIABILITY (see above), no cup holders, tiny trunk even for a car this size, noisy ride, drippy seals when it rained, poor factory speakers (went through several rounds of new ones during ownership), replacement VW parts longevity in general quite poor

Most Reliable Car Ever!
By John

1992 Volkswagen Cabriolet Convertible Carat 2dr Convertible

I bought this car wanting an inexpensive, fuel efficient yet fun and reliable car. I have had it for over 4 years and it has never broke down on me. It is the most reliable car I've ever owned and I've owned plenty, including new cars. I love this car and it's fun to drive. I drove it across country and had the time of my life. This car has required very low maintenance. Other than replacing the tires and regular oil changes, I haven't been set back at all. It's paid for itself.

Favorite Features

It's a convertible! Top down, feels like I'm on vacation even when I'm just going to work. Fun! and RELIABLE!

Suggested Improvements

seat adjustments, turning the wheel to adjust the seat is a bit of a pain.

Best Car I Have Ever Owned
By Mary Jo Welch

1992 Volkswagen Cabriolet Convertible 2dr Convertible

This is the best car I have ever owned. It has a timeless styling and still gets admiring glances. I will always have a VW convertible. I am meticulous about servicing the car and it has paid off.

Favorite Features

styling - very cute - makes me smile whenever I drive with the top down and I get the same response from others as well

Suggested Improvements

tighter seal on top - gets a little drippy by the window when it rains.

get what you paid for
By bkoraman

1992 Volkswagen Cabriolet Convertible 2dr Convertible

I purchased this car with a newly installed roof. It is in a fair condition with minor cosmatic details. I think I got what I paid for.

Favorite Features

convertible and cheap

Suggested Improvements

get a mechanic check before you buy