A fun reliable little car!
By Maketoast on
1990 Volkswagen Cabriolet Best Seller 2dr Convertible
I bought my Cabriolet in 2006 in semi-decent shape. I did some work to the car to get it decent and the experience with the car has been wonderful. Didn't take too much to fix it up and VWs are usually pretty easy to work on. The car is very reliable as are most from the early 1990s. Many are still on the road, which proves their durability, really. The body will rust off before you'll have problems though, if you live in the north where there is salt. Do the routine maintenance and this car will last you a long time. It is a blast to drive, especially with the top down! Handles like a VW should. 1.8 engine isn't awesome for power, but it's decent and reliable. I get 35 mpg+.
Favorite Features
Convertible! And it's relatively safe too in rollovers, as it has a rollbar. Gas mileage on this car is excellent. 5 spd is excellent. Easy to work on for the most part. Reliable. Mine ran even without the in-tank fuel pump working :-o
Suggested Improvements
Could really use a higher 5th gear. 3k+ RPM on the highway is ridiculous to me. This can be done if you have money, or are very adventurous, or both. No cupholders at all. As with any old car, you have to track down rattles and stop them.