Used 1990 Volkswagen Cabriolet Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Volkswagen Cabriolet - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabriolet model:

Best used car I have ever owned
By larry

1990 Volkswagen Cabriolet 2dr Convertible

Purchased car in 2004 with 37,500 original miles on it. From a private owner in Montauk NY. Transported via car Dolly to my winter home in fl where its garage stored when not using. At 59,00 miles on it, had to replace 4 tires not due to improper wear but dry rot from sitting. The VW now has 76,00 miles with no other repairs except a battery and oil changes every 3,000 miles. When traveling on the open road using Cruise control average 40 mph per and Burns no oil. This is the best used car I have ever owned.

white on white 5 speed manual driver air bag a/c still working

none

CUTE NOT RELIABLE
By Matt

1990 Volkswagen Cabriolet Best Seller 2dr Convertible

I think mine was a lemon, I took great care of this car,but almost everything broke, radiator, hoses,clutch cable(3) pedal assembly,throttle cable. fuel pump relay(2)engine mounts(4)

Convertible,stick shift, handling.Reliable engine.

Better clutch cable, stronger engine mounts.Stronger and better insulated electrical wiring harness and electrical system.

Super Duper Cab
By Cabro

1990 Volkswagen Cabriolet 2dr Convertible

This car has been very reliable and I still get 28 to 31 miles per gallon. The cab is fun to drive and I plan to keep it for a long time.

Everything about the car is great. It doesn't hurt that it's a convertible :D

None

Big fun, little car
By Good Night

1990 Volkswagen Cabriolet 2dr Convertible

The car really surprised me. My father had bought it in early 2006, right before i graduated high school. I thought it was a crappy compact till i got a chance to drive it. It was a blast, surprising speed for a little car like that but probably wouldn't have been as fun if it was an automatic. It handled decently, it even got me out of a few close calls while speeding on the highway but no cup holders and tight interior made her a little uncomfortable but surprisingly enough it had power windows.

the little punch the engine had, comfortable leather seats, power windows

way too tight of an inside and I'm only 5'8, the kick from the engine doesn't hit till about third gear, needs cup holders

A fun reliable little car!
By Maketoast

1990 Volkswagen Cabriolet Best Seller 2dr Convertible

I bought my Cabriolet in 2006 in semi-decent shape. I did some work to the car to get it decent and the experience with the car has been wonderful. Didn't take too much to fix it up and VWs are usually pretty easy to work on. The car is very reliable as are most from the early 1990s. Many are still on the road, which proves their durability, really. The body will rust off before you'll have problems though, if you live in the north where there is salt. Do the routine maintenance and this car will last you a long time. It is a blast to drive, especially with the top down! Handles like a VW should. 1.8 engine isn't awesome for power, but it's decent and reliable. I get 35 mpg+.

Convertible! And it's relatively safe too in rollovers, as it has a rollbar. Gas mileage on this car is excellent. 5 spd is excellent. Easy to work on for the most part. Reliable. Mine ran even without the in-tank fuel pump working :-o

Could really use a higher 5th gear. 3k+ RPM on the highway is ridiculous to me. This can be done if you have money, or are very adventurous, or both. No cupholders at all. As with any old car, you have to track down rattles and stop them.