I love my Cabrio!
By lmartin3733 on
2002 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
The only problem I have had is that the top is splitting at the seam! All the way across the back and to my dismay I discovered that it is glued!! That is crazy! I have it taped right now but I am going to find out if someone can sew up the seam. So far everyone has said that it won't work, but I'm going to try it anyway! I can't afford a new top(that is probably glued too!) That has been my only disappointment. I've not had any big repairs. It's great in the snow! I can get in and out of everywhere and if I could get another one, I'd upgrade to another one. I've got about 160000 miles on it and I hope it lasts for another 3 to 5 years!
Suggested Improvements
Sew all the seams in the top!!!!!!! The seat belt needs to be lowered. It wasn't made for short people. I feel like I'm choking all the time.
By sushi3
on 11/23/11 13:21 PM (PST)

I do not usually post anything. But, so many people have the "split seam" problem on convertible tops, I could not resist. There is a very simple fix for most such problems. Use McNetts Seam Seal. You can get it at outdoor stores such as Gander Mountain, Marine supply stores or on-line for about $10.00. This stuff is clear and was designed for such things as tents and backpacks. It will hold up in extreme temperatures and should be stored in a freezer after being opened. For a VW Cabrio, the problem seam is across the top of the rear window continuing down both sides to the body. First put the car in a garage and raise the top to about 45 degrees. The likely separation is probably from near the top to part way down the side. That is caused by the top folding back and forth in that location. With the top part way down you can easily manipulate the separated pieces. Use a cheap artist type small paint brush to paint both surfaces, that have separated, with Seam Seal (Do not get any on the exterior area of the top). Let it set for a couple of minutes, then just fold the pieces together tightly and clamp them together with one inch spring clamps from Lowe's or Home depot, if the separation is short. Continuous clamping is necessary for the repair to look right. If the separation is longer than a few inches you may have to use other clamping methods or do the repair in sections. Let the repair cure overnight. When you put the top up it should look like new. Even better, it will be weatherproof and will last when you put the top up and down. This has worked well for me on a 2002 VW Cabrio GLX.