Used 2002 Volkswagen Cabrio GLX Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:

I've already spent several thousand!
By butta246

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had the car for 8 years and It's a lot of maintence. Those who haven't had problems are lucky. So far I've had to buy several hoses, my back drink holder broke, new catalytic converter, timing belt, new a.c. compressor, I was actually locked inside my car once (long story but true), and my key got stuck on the outside of the car, I had to call AAA and send it to get it fixed asap. I now need to get my tires aligned because I'm going out of tires like crazy. Also my windows won't roll down, if they do they don't roll back up. It's about $400 a piece. I don't know if I got a lemon, but I have spent several thousand dollars on this car.

Favorite Features

Very good on gas. I fill my tank up once every 2 weeks. I love how it's a convertible. It's very easy to drive. I love the leather seats as well as it being heated. They work great! Easy to clean on the inside.

Suggested Improvements

Besides everything above, I wish we had better drink holders, nothing fits on those things! Maybe just a little bigger for a trunk space.

VW Never again
By redman

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My wife always said she loved her VW. It was cute and the test drive was fun but the honeymoon was short lived. There were many problems with it over the years. Included were electrical issues, power Windows, chronic check engine light, air conditioner, on & on. Every time we got it back from the shop we were lucky if it would go 2 weeks before something else was needed. We had to keep a list so we could remember what to tell the service writer. VW dealer was to expensive for parts & labor and everything had to be done at the dealer. Last VW in our family if I have anything to say about it.

Favorite Features

Once in a while we put the top down and went for a ride.

Suggested Improvements

Work on design and reliability. I have had less expensive autos that were far more reliable.

CabrioDog
By Quigley

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It truly is a dog. And VW service is atrocious. What has gone wrong: catalytic converter; exhast hangers broke; driver's wind failed THREE TIMES; one tire (wheel) goes flat for no reason (even after replacing the tire). One of the more recent events was a violent shaking upon acceleration. The dealer replaced mass air flow sensor and some other electronic components. Got back on the road and he problem was still there. That is pure incompetence.

Favorite Features

That it is a cute convertible;e that gets good mileage when it is not in the shop.

Suggested Improvements

VW should hire some good engineers from Tokyo, Seoul, or Detroit and train their service people better. We don't bring our cars in for your mechanics to guess on our nickle. No more VWs for me or my family. And I have owned a bunch of them over a 41 year period.

I LOVE THIS CAR!!!
By a.brin

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a used 2002 VW Cabrio GLX and have had it for five years - this car is awesome. I have only had it serviced at the dealer and have had no major issues with the car. I even bought the extended VW warranty - kind of feel it was a waste of money since I still haven't used it. If you buy a used one just make sure you get the service records - some VW's have no issues and some have a lot - beware of someone who hides service records - they are hiding problems. If you take care of your VW It will love you for years to come!

Favorite Features

Power top, fun to drive, fits 4 people, great gas mileage, easy to park - super cute!

Suggested Improvements

Sadly they don't make these great cars anymore - my only complaints are I wish I didn't have to put the boot cover on when the top is down and the biggest complaint is the lack of a real cup holder in the front- thank goodness they have one for the backseat I reach over and use the one in the middle.

One of the last ones
By Now Wife's Car

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had very few problems since the initial 6 months when I had a problem with wheel sensors. It has run so well my wife wanted it. It is a real fun car. It will be hard to replace.

Favorite Features

The roof goes down. Then the hot seats.

Suggested Improvements

Door handles peeled. Should have used real leather.