2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:
I've already spent several thousand!
By butta246 on 08/29/10 09:21 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had the car for 8 years and It's a lot of maintence. Those who haven't had problems are lucky. So far I've had to buy several hoses, my back drink holder broke, new catalytic converter, timing belt, new a.c. compressor, I was actually locked inside my car once (long story but true), and my key got stuck on the outside of the car, I had to call AAA and send it to get it fixed asap. I now need to get my tires aligned because I'm going out of tires like crazy. Also my windows won't roll down, if they do they don't roll back up. It's about $400 a piece. I don't know if I got a lemon, but I have spent several thousand dollars on this car.

VW Never again
By redman on 09/07/09 11:27 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My wife always said she loved her VW. It was cute and the test drive was fun but the honeymoon was short lived. There were many problems with it over the years. Included were electrical issues, power Windows, chronic check engine light, air conditioner, on & on. Every time we got it back from the shop we were lucky if it would go 2 weeks before something else was needed. We had to keep a list so we could remember what to tell the service writer. VW dealer was to expensive for parts & labor and everything had to be done at the dealer. Last VW in our family if I have anything to say about it.

CabrioDog
By Quigley on 07/04/09 23:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It truly is a dog. And VW service is atrocious. What has gone wrong: catalytic converter; exhast hangers broke; driver's wind failed THREE TIMES; one tire (wheel) goes flat for no reason (even after replacing the tire). One of the more recent events was a violent shaking upon acceleration. The dealer replaced mass air flow sensor and some other electronic components. Got back on the road and he problem was still there. That is pure incompetence.

I LOVE THIS CAR!!!
By a.brin on 05/26/09 16:31 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a used 2002 VW Cabrio GLX and have had it for five years - this car is awesome. I have only had it serviced at the dealer and have had no major issues with the car. I even bought the extended VW warranty - kind of feel it was a waste of money since I still haven't used it. If you buy a used one just make sure you get the service records - some VW's have no issues and some have a lot - beware of someone who hides service records - they are hiding problems. If you take care of your VW It will love you for years to come!

One of the last ones
By Now Wife's Car on 03/28/08 10:52 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had very few problems since the initial 6 months when I had a problem with wheel sensors. It has run so well my wife wanted it. It is a real fun car. It will be hard to replace.

Fun, Economical, Versatile Cabrio
By C. Gratrix on 02/18/08 10:27 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my VW Cabrio GLX in May, 2002, in time for Spring/Summer/Fall 'top-down' days. The car has been a great investment. It's easy to transport a large box; I just put the top down - place the item in back seat - then put the top back up. The engine purrs like it will run forever. This car has been nothing but dependable. Gas mileage: 24.5 mpg in town / 30+ mpg on highway. I've not had repairs other than standard maintenance. The fit and finish of the leather interior show little wear in 6 years. Pluses: heated seats, power top, automatic transmission, power windows, door locks, remote keyless entry. With a timeless European look and German engineering, the car is a 10.

Fun, Practical, Unique
By Pete3106 on 05/05/07 13:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have had this Cabrio since new and only had problems with window regulators - fixed under warranty. Really enjoy the solid top in all kinds of weather. Have had two of these and both have been great.

It's the Little Things
By irish7459 on 03/08/07 06:50 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I started having problems right off the bat. The check engine light came on about two months into my ownership. They had to replace the entire O2 sensor. Next the door locks broke. They've been replaced twice, and are currently broken again. The interior dome light broke in year three. I never touched the thing. The muffler started vibrating in year five. I've had it "fixed" but it's still vibrating when I accelerate. My car has been strictly dealership maintained. They are a pain to deal with. You have to pester and pester to get them to do anything. I figure if a part breaks and keeps breaking VW should change and make better more reliable parts.

VW Lacks in Customer Service
By Mike on 02/12/07 10:32 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This has been the worst built car I have ever owned. The transmission, a 5 speed, needed to be replaced at 35,000 miles. Since it was three months out of the time warranty, VW offered no customer support. This, along with numerous other minor problems, including the key lock breaking, check engine light coming on and off at different times, and many more, has led me to believe that VW's reputation for quality is only a myth. I will never buy a VW again and I will tell everyone I know not to buy a one.

Love My Cabrio
By hena11 on 08/06/06 13:57 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love driving my Cabrio. I have only had a few issues with its brakes and a few parts that have broken. VW's are expensive to repair, but it is a fun car and I wouldn't trade it.

1 2 3 4 5 next »