Used 2002 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio - Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:

I love my Cabrio!
By lmartin3733

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The only problem I have had is that the top is splitting at the seam! All the way across the back and to my dismay I discovered that it is glued!! That is crazy! I have it taped right now but I am going to find out if someone can sew up the seam. So far everyone has said that it won't work, but I'm going to try it anyway! I can't afford a new top(that is probably glued too!) That has been my only disappointment. I've not had any big repairs. It's great in the snow! I can get in and out of everywhere and if I could get another one, I'd upgrade to another one. I've got about 160000 miles on it and I hope it lasts for another 3 to 5 years!

Suggested Improvements

Sew all the seams in the top!!!!!!! The seat belt needs to be lowered. It wasn't made for short people. I feel like I'm choking all the time.

So much for German Engineering!
By M

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My wife purchased this car a few months before we met. It's been a fun little car to tool about town in. Handles well, gets excellent gas mileage (32 mpg in mixed city driving), and the convertible top is simple to operate. Unfortunately, the car is poorly built: Power windows don't operate properly, interior bits are falling apart, and the final straw: Total transmission failure at under 55,000 miles (5 speed manual.) Google "Self Machining Syndrome" to find out more about how some very important pieces of the drivetrain are held together with rivets! This goes for Golfs and Jettas too.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, handling

Hopefully You'll Think Twice About Getting One
By T

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After being rear-ended Feb 2006 in my '99 Cabrio, I decided that I wanted a "new" car. Unable to let go of the convertible but unwilling to pay big bucks, I purchased an on-the-lot dealership-certified '02 Cabrio. This was a big mistake. I have had more problems in the last six months than in all the years I had the '99 model. I only have one vehicle, it has been in the shop numerous times, it can take days for repairs, and some of the "repairs" were not covered under the warranty I purchased. I have spent more, complained more, and been more frustrated with this car than with any other. I have reached the point where I am willing to spend the money to get a reliable vehicle...no matter who makes it.

Favorite Features

It's a convertible...what's not to like there?

Suggested Improvements

Check all aspects of the vehicle before determining it's acceptable to put on the lot.

No Problem.
By Tony

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Knocking on wood here, don't want to spoil a good thing, but, this car has never seen a mechanic. Other than for scheduled services. I use synthetic oil and regular gas. You'll love It's PURRRR.

Favorite Features

The handling and It's exhaust rumble.

Suggested Improvements

It needs better gas mileage.

great little car
By vw topless

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

this is my second convertible i love this car !!!!! it drives great

Favorite Features

topless

Suggested Improvements

better materials should be used for inside door handles they tend to peel after time