2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:
I love my Cabrio!
By lmartin3733 on 06/07/11 13:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The only problem I have had is that the top is splitting at the seam! All the way across the back and to my dismay I discovered that it is glued!! That is crazy! I have it taped right now but I am going to find out if someone can sew up the seam. So far everyone has said that it won't work, but I'm going to try it anyway! I can't afford a new top(that is probably glued too!) That has been my only disappointment. I've not had any big repairs. It's great in the snow! I can get in and out of everywhere and if I could get another one, I'd upgrade to another one. I've got about 160000 miles on it and I hope it lasts for another 3 to 5 years!

So much for German Engineering!
By M on 01/07/09 20:20 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My wife purchased this car a few months before we met. It's been a fun little car to tool about town in. Handles well, gets excellent gas mileage (32 mpg in mixed city driving), and the convertible top is simple to operate. Unfortunately, the car is poorly built: Power windows don't operate properly, interior bits are falling apart, and the final straw: Total transmission failure at under 55,000 miles (5 speed manual.) Google "Self Machining Syndrome" to find out more about how some very important pieces of the drivetrain are held together with rivets! This goes for Golfs and Jettas too.

Hopefully You'll Think Twice About Getting One
By T on 10/18/06 12:58 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After being rear-ended Feb 2006 in my '99 Cabrio, I decided that I wanted a "new" car. Unable to let go of the convertible but unwilling to pay big bucks, I purchased an on-the-lot dealership-certified '02 Cabrio. This was a big mistake. I have had more problems in the last six months than in all the years I had the '99 model. I only have one vehicle, it has been in the shop numerous times, it can take days for repairs, and some of the "repairs" were not covered under the warranty I purchased. I have spent more, complained more, and been more frustrated with this car than with any other. I have reached the point where I am willing to spend the money to get a reliable vehicle...no matter who makes it.

No Problem.
By Tony on 06/02/06 17:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Knocking on wood here, don't want to spoil a good thing, but, this car has never seen a mechanic. Other than for scheduled services. I use synthetic oil and regular gas. You'll love It's PURRRR.

great little car
By vw topless on 03/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

this is my second convertible i love this car !!!!! it drives great

NEVER BUY A VW!
By MMV on 02/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had such a bad experience with VW. I went to all the VWs in my area and can't believe the poor service that I have been getting. I LOVE my car, however it is not worth the price of dealing with their service department (s). Even after speaking to the manager I haven't been helped. If you would like more detail, just email me.

cabrio
By douthett on 01/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive, excellent handling, easy to get around town, plenty of room inside.I bought this car to replace a BMW 318 and I am very happy with the choice.

I LOVE MY CABRIO!!!
By JPAvocat on 08/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

What an awesome little car! This baby is lots of fun, great to drive and eye- catching cute! If you want one, get it now, because this is your last chance (it's being discontinued in favor of a beetle convertible)!

Problematic
By loriannweather on 07/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After falling in love with this convertible in the '80s, I dreamed of owning one. That dream has turned into a nightmare. Within the first 5 months, I had the Cabrio in and out of the dealership with a defective part that kept causing the car not to start. Then one morning in bumper-to-bumper traffic a wheel came off. This could have caused death or serious injury if I had been driving the speed limit. Now the transmission has just caused me to be stranded and returned to the dealership. These problems have all happened under 24K miles. The warranty runs out very soon, and I am debating on keeping this problem.

Close to Ideal Convertible
By theorn on 05/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Cabrio is a well designed contertible. Specifically, the GLS covers all the features that you need to get the most use out of your convertible (see below). There are some problems: The radio is dated - there is no in-dash CD player available - and I've noticed an occasional buzz that doesn't appear to be speaker related. The lock system has given me troubles in the city. The key- fob is designed terribly, it's easy to set off the alarm. You can feel the frame flex in a way that a car shouldn't. The car is great at its current price point. I sure wish VW had given it the redesign that should have happened years ago. Now it looks like the Bug will replace it as VW's Cabrio.