2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:
I love my Cabrio!
By lmartin3733 on 06/07/11 13:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The only problem I have had is that the top is splitting at the seam! All the way across the back and to my dismay I discovered that it is glued!! That is crazy! I have it taped right now but I am going to find out if someone can sew up the seam. So far everyone has said that it won't work, but I'm going to try it anyway! I can't afford a new top(that is probably glued too!) That has been my only disappointment. I've not had any big repairs. It's great in the snow! I can get in and out of everywhere and if I could get another one, I'd upgrade to another one. I've got about 160000 miles on it and I hope it lasts for another 3 to 5 years!

Just love it
By YVONNE on 09/01/10 15:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

There are only a few things that I would change. First the power Windows button is too small. The cup holder is set to deep into the consol, which makes it hard to put a med. Size drink in there with the ashtray being directly above it. And sometimes I bump the control for the window wipers when I put in the key into the ignition

I've already spent several thousand!
By butta246 on 08/29/10 09:21 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had the car for 8 years and It's a lot of maintence. Those who haven't had problems are lucky. So far I've had to buy several hoses, my back drink holder broke, new catalytic converter, timing belt, new a.c. compressor, I was actually locked inside my car once (long story but true), and my key got stuck on the outside of the car, I had to call AAA and send it to get it fixed asap. I now need to get my tires aligned because I'm going out of tires like crazy. Also my windows won't roll down, if they do they don't roll back up. It's about $400 a piece. I don't know if I got a lemon, but I have spent several thousand dollars on this car.

My Cabbie loves my mechanic!
By Lotttie on 12/14/09 17:23 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Cabbie and she loves my private Mechanic. I will never trust a VW Dealer for the rest of my life and this will surely be the LAST VW I own. My Mechanic keeps her running. One door lock, two door handles, wheel bearings, vacuum pump, muffler, interior trunk release (VW permanently ruined this)and a dead radio. Did I mention she has 134,000 miles and keeps on running? She costs me quite a bit and I am thankful I have a good salary! Not looking forward to trading her in someday as she is a hoot to drive. "Baby Baby" hopefully will make it to 200,000 miles or by some miracle 250,000 miles. Caution: VW Cabrio....lovely to behold, lovely to drive but not lovely to maintain.

VW Never again
By redman on 09/07/09 11:27 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My wife always said she loved her VW. It was cute and the test drive was fun but the honeymoon was short lived. There were many problems with it over the years. Included were electrical issues, power Windows, chronic check engine light, air conditioner, on & on. Every time we got it back from the shop we were lucky if it would go 2 weeks before something else was needed. We had to keep a list so we could remember what to tell the service writer. VW dealer was to expensive for parts & labor and everything had to be done at the dealer. Last VW in our family if I have anything to say about it.

CabrioDog
By Quigley on 07/04/09 23:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It truly is a dog. And VW service is atrocious. What has gone wrong: catalytic converter; exhast hangers broke; driver's wind failed THREE TIMES; one tire (wheel) goes flat for no reason (even after replacing the tire). One of the more recent events was a violent shaking upon acceleration. The dealer replaced mass air flow sensor and some other electronic components. Got back on the road and he problem was still there. That is pure incompetence.

I LOVE THIS CAR!!!
By a.brin on 05/26/09 16:31 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a used 2002 VW Cabrio GLX and have had it for five years - this car is awesome. I have only had it serviced at the dealer and have had no major issues with the car. I even bought the extended VW warranty - kind of feel it was a waste of money since I still haven't used it. If you buy a used one just make sure you get the service records - some VW's have no issues and some have a lot - beware of someone who hides service records - they are hiding problems. If you take care of your VW It will love you for years to come!

So much for German Engineering!
By M on 01/07/09 20:20 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My wife purchased this car a few months before we met. It's been a fun little car to tool about town in. Handles well, gets excellent gas mileage (32 mpg in mixed city driving), and the convertible top is simple to operate. Unfortunately, the car is poorly built: Power windows don't operate properly, interior bits are falling apart, and the final straw: Total transmission failure at under 55,000 miles (5 speed manual.) Google "Self Machining Syndrome" to find out more about how some very important pieces of the drivetrain are held together with rivets! This goes for Golfs and Jettas too.

One of the last ones
By Now Wife's Car on 03/28/08 10:52 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had very few problems since the initial 6 months when I had a problem with wheel sensors. It has run so well my wife wanted it. It is a real fun car. It will be hard to replace.

Fun, Economical, Versatile Cabrio
By C. Gratrix on 02/18/08 10:27 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my VW Cabrio GLX in May, 2002, in time for Spring/Summer/Fall 'top-down' days. The car has been a great investment. It's easy to transport a large box; I just put the top down - place the item in back seat - then put the top back up. The engine purrs like it will run forever. This car has been nothing but dependable. Gas mileage: 24.5 mpg in town / 30+ mpg on highway. I've not had repairs other than standard maintenance. The fit and finish of the leather interior show little wear in 6 years. Pluses: heated seats, power top, automatic transmission, power windows, door locks, remote keyless entry. With a timeless European look and German engineering, the car is a 10.