Used 2002 Volkswagen Cabrio GL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:

My Cabbie loves my mechanic!
By Lotttie

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Cabbie and she loves my private Mechanic. I will never trust a VW Dealer for the rest of my life and this will surely be the LAST VW I own. My Mechanic keeps her running. One door lock, two door handles, wheel bearings, vacuum pump, muffler, interior trunk release (VW permanently ruined this)and a dead radio. Did I mention she has 134,000 miles and keeps on running? She costs me quite a bit and I am thankful I have a good salary! Not looking forward to trading her in someday as she is a hoot to drive. "Baby Baby" hopefully will make it to 200,000 miles or by some miracle 250,000 miles. Caution: VW Cabrio....lovely to behold, lovely to drive but not lovely to maintain.

Quick pick up and convertible; small turning radius

VW needs to produce better parts

Too expensive to keep it looking cute
By Toni

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The VW Cabrio is cute but frequently needs high cost bits and pieces replaced. The latest is over $260 for a plastic front grill which took several weeks to arrive at the dealership. The grill ws broken by the dealership because that was the only way for them to get to the broken hood latch. It is also very expensive to insure, even if it's just state minimum requirements. This high maintenance for its appearance and high insurance costs eat up any savings from the good fuel economy.

The good gas mileage, the convertible top is fun, it handles very well, and it is mechanically sound.

Make the appearance items like grilles, cup holders and similar more sturdy so that owners aren't always taking a financial hit on appearance related repairs.

I wouldn't buy it if I could do it over
By VWinNOVA

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a really fun car, but the problems I've experienced are definitely not worth its fun. Numerous problems with the electrical system-- dash lights come on for no reason, I have to restart the car to get the ac to come on, and it doesn't always like to start on the first try. It has terrible acceleration, and can be uncomfortable on long trips, but it is a fun beach car.

It's a convertible

It's a good thing they stopped making them.

VW does not stand by their products!
By tmichaelny

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

For the most part, this was a reliable little car and fun to drive. Like most VW's it was a rough ride but it was the roomiest, most relaible convertible around... Until the oil light come at 60K. I changed the oil but it was still on. I brought it in and the dealership said it was a comoputer problem and would cost at least $800 to fix. Otherwise, the car was fine. A week later, the engine seized. Neither the dealership nor VW accepted any responsibility. I will never buy a VW again. I really like the Beetle but I don't want to give my business to a "take-your-money- and-run" company!

The top!

Better business ethics

mistake
By jimbo jones

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My mistake. There are better cars for less $.

The style is cute.