2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Consumer Reviews 4

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:
Is this car a lemon?
By cip on 09/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for two years and already have had to replace the transmission, various electrical issues/lights appear such as radio, air bag light, transmission light even the alarm went off while I was driving it! My passenger side window keeps having issues, and the interior is falling apart (already had both interior door handles replaced) - always been a vw driver, only has 22,000 miles and it is back in the shop - with a 4 year lease what do I do except continue in this never ending love/hate relationship with this car.

fun little car
By alyse on 07/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Lots of leg room for 6'1" and 6'5" drivers. No room in back, though. Cup holders are awkward. Expensive to repair and scheduling service is a pain. Non VW stations can't service it because the malfunction codes are standardized (I believe there is a pending lawsuit about this.) Service Engine light goes on if you don't 'click' the gas cap. Get the manual shift if you want any power.

My Easter Basket
By MissMix on 01/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I cant decide if I love this car or hate it. Snow and tractor trailers are the enemy! Once the warranty expired, the problems started. MANY electrical problems and a coolant leak, so far. If Volkswagens are so reliable, why is the warranty so short? The back seat is roomy, but the front isnt. Try starting it without the wipers coming on! The interior panel material wear too quickly (door handles). With a 2.slOw, it barely gets out of its own way. Not the car to not someone off in! FAR too much wind noise on the highway. Easy parking and very easy to "transform". With the top down, it looks like an Easter basket!

Problems with my Cabrio GLX
By Angela145 on 11/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my car for a year and a half and it has had already the water pump go and now there appears to be problems with the engine. The warranties on VW are awful and personnally I dont think i would by another one.

My Putt Putt car
By Cabrio Enthusiast on 10/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I really do love this car. I can't help but smile when the top is down! I call it my putt-putt car because this is the kind of car you just want to cruise around in.

A few annoying things
By pfreader on 09/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car, with a few caveats: The steering wheel does not telescope, which is terrible if you're tall (which I am). The seat goes back so far I can't touch the pedals, but the steering wheel can't compensate, so it's useless. (Incidentally, it says in the manual that the steering wheel telescopes, but it does not.) Also, the front cupholders are useless. NOTHING fits in them except for a can of soda. Otherwise, it's a great car, but I'm trading mine in soon. I can't get comfortable in it.

Cabrio GL
By Strebor on 06/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I used to own a 12 year old VW convertible. I loved that car so much that I bought a new one. It is fun to drive with the top down. Love it. Love it. Love it.

Safest reasonably priced convertible
By SFBeagler on 05/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After evaluating several convertibles, we chose the VW Cabrio because of its standard safety features (ABS, Front/Side Airbags, Roll Bar, & Seatbelt pretensioners) and real rear seat. The 2 year free maintenance in the 2001 model has been a plus - warranty repairs (replacement of a window seal, peeling door handle, and dash button) have all been easily covered. Ever passenger loves the dash at night, and the quality of the car is apparent every time you drive. On a sunny day with the top down it is a real antidepressant!

A lot of fun to drive
By Creole on 05/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second convertible and I am pleased with my purchase on the 2001 GL model. I totally recommend this vehicle.