Used 2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:

Love It!
By Tracey Hamiter

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great fun car. The only reason I have considered selling it is I am disabled and need money to pay for hospital bills otherwise it would stay a member of the family. Just last week I was offered a 1998 red corvette in pristine condition. The reason gas and I had to say no.

The convertible top I love to get some light and fresh air. I also like the reliability and is so cute and this gls has an automatic transmission Great! and a big trunk,and loaded.

I really do not really like that the passenger side cannot be opened by a key

Midlife crisis car
By arnold

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought two 2001 cabrios basically for convertible fun and best heat and traction in our 30 below winters. Cars are a lot of fun but tons of problems, would not recommend them even with extended warranty; only for summer fun, service from dealership is great but next cars will not be unreliable vw's. Will miss the small size convert.

six pack cd in trunk, seat adjustments great,power and heat in winter superb and uncomplicated dash controls unlike newer cars.Handles great.

Attention vw, make a much more reliable car like cheap civics can!!!

DON'T BUY VW!
By Junker!!!

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had a hate-hate relationship w/this car. It was my dream car. Has given me problems since the day I bought it. If I hadn't bought it used it would probably classify for the Lemon Law. Catalytic converter, O2 sensor, engine light has been on, air bag light has been on. The latest is the coolant leak. I will never buy another VW EVER again. I probably wouldn't take one even if someone gave me one for free!! It has cost me thousands of dollars to keep it running and I only drive it 10000 miles a year. Can't wait to get rid of it.

It's cute from afar.

Glad they eliminated making them all together.

My Cabrio ~ fun without headaches!
By Martha

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had sooo many hours of fun in this zippy little convertible. Love the 5 speed transmission, lots of fun to drive. After 96000 miles, I can honestly say this car has been a dream in that it required only regular routine maintenance (oil changes, scheduled tuneups), & at about 60000 miles it needed a new muffler/pipe, & at 95000 miles two belts showed wear so I replaced them & (preventatively) the timing belt. Other than that, this car has just taken care of itself. :) The seats are a little small for someone with a bigger fanny, but otherwise comfy. The covering on the interior door handles peeled early on and i was not happy with how VW handled that. But that was the only glitch.

What else? Dropping the top on a beautiful summer day or perfect moonlit evening! Nicely equipped car: cruise, CD/cassette, powerwindows, can roll all windows up with key in door; trunk storage that can extend into rear seats. ~~ Great car that will likely last another 100,000+ miles w/proper care

None really, except that I'd love to see VW come out with a similar convertible, but more luxurious & a little bigger for when the Cabrio drivers age & want more sophisticated cars!

Don't believe the VW hype
By Barrwiese

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a money pit. Get ready to pay. The door handles, the mass airflow sensor (a ten year part), the catalytic converter, handle from the glove box, 3 mufflers, heated mirrors and the entire exhaust system went and had to be replaced. The windows go up and down at will, the "dealer disabled" security system locks itself at will like when I am driving, which sets off the alarm, the check engine light comes on constantly and my mechanic shudders when he seems me coming.

The convertible top.