2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:
Cabrio Fooled Me
By Meliz on 09/06/06 19:20 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Don't be folled by its cute appearance. There is a reason why VW no longer makes these. It is strange how all the problems started to occur on mine right after the 25,000 mile factory warranty was up. I have never had a car before that has needed a new exhaust system at 25,000 miles, not to mention new brakes immediately after that. In addition, be warned that you can only get engine coolant for this car at a VW or Audi dealer service departments, which can also lead to expensive repairs and a long wait to even get an appointment. For those of you who are winter drivers, the Cabrio for sure is not the car you want to deal with snow and slush in.

Not Happy
By Anne Avidon on 06/27/06 08:35 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I made the mistake of not purchasing the extended warranty and it has cost me at least $6,000 to repair my car in the 6 years I have owned it. The mass airflow sensor has gone twice, I've had problems with the doors, windows, pistons in the convertible roof, and I have just had to pay $1,500 for a leak detection pump, serpentine belt and starter coil. Each time the dealer has to run a diagnostic, it costs another $94. Although I really like the car, if I had known how much it would cost to repair at the time I purchased it, I would not have made the same decision.

Getting Worried
By Henry Spencer on 05/19/06 10:26 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a fun car, an inexpensive convertible. I've owned it for almost 5 years and thank goodness I bought an extended warranty, but I'm getting worried because it expires in a few months. First the window fell out. Then the door locks went and the check engine light went on. One was covered, the other was not. They did cover the Mass Air Flow device last week for second problem. Also this week, had a bill for over $1,300 for the A/C evaporator! This should have lasted for the life of the car! The whole dash had to come out. Luckily the ext. warranty paid for $1,100 of it! My car has the same problems as some others do too... door handles, etc.

Love that Vdub!
By Sheila on 03/09/06 12:49 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car because the seats, pedals, dash are all the perfect size and adjustability in relation to each other in my opinion. There are many cars that don't adjust to comfortably accomadate shorter people. The headrests are actually usable. The dash and hood are in the perfect spots to maximize visibility. So is the gear shift. I have a bad back, but I could drive this car for hours. I also love how it looks! It's very reliable and runs quietly. Love it!

I really thought this car was the one
By RHauck on 07/07/05 17:05 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I read many reviews on this car before buying. Here's what I didn't know. CHEAP, cheap interior. Cloth seats really show dirt. Interior peeling. Power windows fixed 3 times. AXEL broke at 4 years 54K miles. Plastic parts break for no reason. One Check Engine problem to be fixed at 4 years. VW Wheel logo dealys FELL Off. Looks rediculous but to replace is $80 each! No decent cup holder for the driver. Console shows dirt and doesn't clean well.

The Car I always wanted
By BeckyCabrio2001 on 09/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this little car. I have an hour commute to work and it makes it fun. Evertime I see it makes me smile.

Happy with my '01 VW Cabrio!
By mpet on 03/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

WAY fun car to drive and it turns many heads. I opted for manual 5-speed transmission, and it performs very well. The only things I have not liked is (a) some peeling on the door handles & dealer didn't fix to my satisfaction; and (b) with a smaller wheel base, the car rides rough on bumpy roads -- but that's life in a smaller vehicle. You can park this puppy anywhere though, and you are guzzling precious fuel like those SUV owners! I love my Cabrio. It's been a great new car experience. Looking forward to spring so I can DROP THAT TOP! :)

The ultimate girl car!!!
By alyson on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 2001 cabrio GLX is my first girly car, I have always had boy type cars, but I have always love the way the cabrio looked!! Now that I have had her for over 2 years, I love her even more. She is fun to drive, very reliable and everyone comments on her. My boyfreind also loves to drive her because even though she has a 4 cylinder, she has lots of giddy-up!! He is 6ft 5" and fits quite nicely in her. Thanks VW for making such a fun car to drive and yes I am a very satisfied DRIVER!!!

Wonderful when running
By OHdriver on 09/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Good seats. Initial quality of VW is impressive but reliability has been disappointing. I recently sent VW a problem list 1)Engine revs high on start 2)Gas gauge only goes to 5/8 3) Door handle peels 4)Loud exhaust; 1 dlr suggested we replace all due to rust through 5) Window malfunctioned 6) Chk eng light comes on freq 7) Coolant light started to blink. Although just out of warranty (26K), VW fixed most except exhaust and handle. Other than reliability - fantastic car for the money.

Is this car a lemon?
By cip on 09/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for two years and already have had to replace the transmission, various electrical issues/lights appear such as radio, air bag light, transmission light even the alarm went off while I was driving it! My passenger side window keeps having issues, and the interior is falling apart (already had both interior door handles replaced) - always been a vw driver, only has 22,000 miles and it is back in the shop - with a 4 year lease what do I do except continue in this never ending love/hate relationship with this car.