Used 2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:

Don't Buy This Car
By Never Again

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'll never buy a Volkswagen again. Door handles, glove box, knobs falling off/melting, even though handles have been replaced 3 times. Ditto for random indicator lights and windows that go up and down whenever. Worst though, are the tie rods. First replaced when car was 3ish. Four years later, we're sitting in a hotel 4 hours from home waiting o/n for new TRs to be delivered tomorrow b/c car is un-drivable - at a total cost of $1K for hotel, rental car and repair. And we'll have to drive back in a week to pick up the car once it's fixed. Car sits in garage 9 of 10 days and is used only for highway miles, so our driving not at fault. Our mechanics unanimously agree car is total crap.

Even with the shoddy quality of the interior, and the constant repairs, I do love driving through the wine country with the top down and the music on. And it is super easy to park. Small, but still seats 4.

Car belongs in a junkyard. Only improvement would be to crush the whole thing and buy a more reliable car from some other auto maker.

Awesome!
By Designs11

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is great! It gets great gas mileage, the CD player doesn't skip, the truck is pretty roomy for a small car, and easy to park/maneuver. I bought this car used, but it only had one owner who had all the routine maintenance preformed on time at a VW dealership, so I'm loving it!! There are no mechanical problems and it has almost 70k miles on it now. Great car for the money!! (And it's cute!)

Heated seats, 6 CD player, power locks, windows, etc., Convertible top easy to fold down, illuminated dash!, locking glove box

Flip key, CD player in the car rather than the trunk. Automatic lights at night.

the best car i have ever owned
By lori

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i love this car i have not had to many issues with it just the normal things that can go wrong. if it is maintained it will run forever

convertiable

no improvements

Don't buy this car
By Sharon

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had to replace the exhaust system, the ignition coil, the transmission, broken glove box, the mass air flow sensor is giving me issues now, and this summer the throttle sensor needed replacement. I think the air-flow and throttle are related problems. Basically my engine light never goes off. I had to replace the transmission-5 speed at 59,000 and VW would not honor the powertrain warranty of 100,000 said it was a wear and tear item. I know there is more that I'm leaving out. The car needs a journal just to keep track of repairs. My mechanics feel sorry for me. I have been stranded or broken down about 8 times with this car. Its a shame because it was my 1st new car. Bad experience..

When the engine is running right the car is spunky with the 5 speed. Expect to spend about an average of 1000.00 a year in repairs after 50,000 miles. The only reason I am suffering through this pain is because it's paid off but if it continues I have to get rid of this car.

Beware.. the sensors that went out of this car were all after 25,000 warranty.. the throttle cost 500.00 to get fixed and that was only 120.0 for labor. Sensor was 350.00. I think I may need to replace mass airflow now and priced it at Autozone for 250.0 but found on net for 120.0.

Just bought yesterday!
By kourtnie

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So far I love my cabbie even though it is my first REAL day with it, I love the fact that it is a convertible, and the black interior is one of my favorites, it has more interior room than my old Integra in the back which is a plus for me, I hate the fact that EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING is manual! The windows, the top, I mean it's a 2001 not a 1974! It could have been made a little more up to date.

Interior design, convertible top, gas mileage so far to work was awesome, since I drive 50 highway miles to work!

Cup holders, everything auto. which I cant really say since in 2001 they made the GLX with all of those feautres.