Used 2001 Volkswagen Cabrio GLX Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio - Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:

Don't be fooled by it's look, its bad!
By Collin

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love convertibles and thought that the Cabrio would be perfect for me. This is my second one and this one is still nothing but problems. I have owned this car for about 2.5 years, and have been stranded about 7 times. Everything in the car is going and I cannot handle it anymore. I have spent more fixing this car than what it's worth today (around $4,000) However, the car does does get about 35 MPG on the highway, and I love the options it comes with. DO NOT BUY IT!

Favorite Features

convertible top, seats 4 comfortably, good speaker system, plenty of cargo space, GREAT gas milage,

Suggested Improvements

everything. a new engine that actually works.

Don't Buy This Car
By Never Again

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'll never buy a Volkswagen again. Door handles, glove box, knobs falling off/melting, even though handles have been replaced 3 times. Ditto for random indicator lights and windows that go up and down whenever. Worst though, are the tie rods. First replaced when car was 3ish. Four years later, we're sitting in a hotel 4 hours from home waiting o/n for new TRs to be delivered tomorrow b/c car is un-drivable - at a total cost of $1K for hotel, rental car and repair. And we'll have to drive back in a week to pick up the car once it's fixed. Car sits in garage 9 of 10 days and is used only for highway miles, so our driving not at fault. Our mechanics unanimously agree car is total crap.

Favorite Features

Even with the shoddy quality of the interior, and the constant repairs, I do love driving through the wine country with the top down and the music on. And it is super easy to park. Small, but still seats 4.

Suggested Improvements

Car belongs in a junkyard. Only improvement would be to crush the whole thing and buy a more reliable car from some other auto maker.

Midlife crisis car
By arnold

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought two 2001 cabrios basically for convertible fun and best heat and traction in our 30 below winters. Cars are a lot of fun but tons of problems, would not recommend them even with extended warranty; only for summer fun, service from dealership is great but next cars will not be unreliable vw's. Will miss the small size convert.

Favorite Features

six pack cd in trunk, seat adjustments great,power and heat in winter superb and uncomplicated dash controls unlike newer cars.Handles great.

Suggested Improvements

Attention vw, make a much more reliable car like cheap civics can!!!

DON'T BUY VW!
By Junker!!!

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had a hate-hate relationship w/this car. It was my dream car. Has given me problems since the day I bought it. If I hadn't bought it used it would probably classify for the Lemon Law. Catalytic converter, O2 sensor, engine light has been on, air bag light has been on. The latest is the coolant leak. I will never buy another VW EVER again. I probably wouldn't take one even if someone gave me one for free!! It has cost me thousands of dollars to keep it running and I only drive it 10000 miles a year. Can't wait to get rid of it.

Favorite Features

It's cute from afar.

Suggested Improvements

Glad they eliminated making them all together.

Love that Vdub!
By Sheila

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car because the seats, pedals, dash are all the perfect size and adjustability in relation to each other in my opinion. There are many cars that don't adjust to comfortably accomadate shorter people. The headrests are actually usable. The dash and hood are in the perfect spots to maximize visibility. So is the gear shift. I have a bad back, but I could drive this car for hours. I also love how it looks! It's very reliable and runs quietly. Love it!

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the one touch window control, also, the lock/windows up feature. The trunk seems really small, but it actually holds a lot.

Suggested Improvements

It could go a little faster.