2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:
Don't be fooled by it's look, its bad!
By Collin on 03/07/10 16:02 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love convertibles and thought that the Cabrio would be perfect for me. This is my second one and this one is still nothing but problems. I have owned this car for about 2.5 years, and have been stranded about 7 times. Everything in the car is going and I cannot handle it anymore. I have spent more fixing this car than what it's worth today (around $4,000) However, the car does does get about 35 MPG on the highway, and I love the options it comes with. DO NOT BUY IT!

Don't Buy This Car
By Never Again on 11/29/09 13:28 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'll never buy a Volkswagen again. Door handles, glove box, knobs falling off/melting, even though handles have been replaced 3 times. Ditto for random indicator lights and windows that go up and down whenever. Worst though, are the tie rods. First replaced when car was 3ish. Four years later, we're sitting in a hotel 4 hours from home waiting o/n for new TRs to be delivered tomorrow b/c car is un-drivable - at a total cost of $1K for hotel, rental car and repair. And we'll have to drive back in a week to pick up the car once it's fixed. Car sits in garage 9 of 10 days and is used only for highway miles, so our driving not at fault. Our mechanics unanimously agree car is total crap.

Midlife crisis car
By arnold on 05/14/08 06:56 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought two 2001 cabrios basically for convertible fun and best heat and traction in our 30 below winters. Cars are a lot of fun but tons of problems, would not recommend them even with extended warranty; only for summer fun, service from dealership is great but next cars will not be unreliable vw's. Will miss the small size convert.

DON'T BUY VW!
By Junker!!! on 12/21/07 13:58 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had a hate-hate relationship w/this car. It was my dream car. Has given me problems since the day I bought it. If I hadn't bought it used it would probably classify for the Lemon Law. Catalytic converter, O2 sensor, engine light has been on, air bag light has been on. The latest is the coolant leak. I will never buy another VW EVER again. I probably wouldn't take one even if someone gave me one for free!! It has cost me thousands of dollars to keep it running and I only drive it 10000 miles a year. Can't wait to get rid of it.

Love that Vdub!
By Sheila on 03/09/06 12:49 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car because the seats, pedals, dash are all the perfect size and adjustability in relation to each other in my opinion. There are many cars that don't adjust to comfortably accomadate shorter people. The headrests are actually usable. The dash and hood are in the perfect spots to maximize visibility. So is the gear shift. I have a bad back, but I could drive this car for hours. I also love how it looks! It's very reliable and runs quietly. Love it!

The ultimate girl car!!!
By alyson on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 2001 cabrio GLX is my first girly car, I have always had boy type cars, but I have always love the way the cabrio looked!! Now that I have had her for over 2 years, I love her even more. She is fun to drive, very reliable and everyone comments on her. My boyfreind also loves to drive her because even though she has a 4 cylinder, she has lots of giddy-up!! He is 6ft 5" and fits quite nicely in her. Thanks VW for making such a fun car to drive and yes I am a very satisfied DRIVER!!!

Wonderful when running
By OHdriver on 09/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Good seats. Initial quality of VW is impressive but reliability has been disappointing. I recently sent VW a problem list 1)Engine revs high on start 2)Gas gauge only goes to 5/8 3) Door handle peels 4)Loud exhaust; 1 dlr suggested we replace all due to rust through 5) Window malfunctioned 6) Chk eng light comes on freq 7) Coolant light started to blink. Although just out of warranty (26K), VW fixed most except exhaust and handle. Other than reliability - fantastic car for the money.

fun little car
By alyse on 07/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Lots of leg room for 6'1" and 6'5" drivers. No room in back, though. Cup holders are awkward. Expensive to repair and scheduling service is a pain. Non VW stations can't service it because the malfunction codes are standardized (I believe there is a pending lawsuit about this.) Service Engine light goes on if you don't 'click' the gas cap. Get the manual shift if you want any power.

Problems with my Cabrio GLX
By Angela145 on 11/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my car for a year and a half and it has had already the water pump go and now there appears to be problems with the engine. The warranties on VW are awful and personnally I dont think i would by another one.

A few annoying things
By pfreader on 09/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car, with a few caveats: The steering wheel does not telescope, which is terrible if you're tall (which I am). The seat goes back so far I can't touch the pedals, but the steering wheel can't compensate, so it's useless. (Incidentally, it says in the manual that the steering wheel telescopes, but it does not.) Also, the front cupholders are useless. NOTHING fits in them except for a can of soda. Otherwise, it's a great car, but I'm trading mine in soon. I can't get comfortable in it.