Used 2001 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:

Love this car!
By kalba

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car a year ago with 100,000 miles on it expecting that with mileage like that, it may need some maintenance and repairs. I have driven it about 17000 miles and all I have had to do is change the oil and give her a tune up. It really hasn't given me any major trouble and it is so much fun to drive. My advice would be to shop carefully and find one that appears to have been well taken care of. I looked at at least 10 of these before I chose this one. It seems to be one of those cars that young drivers beat the heck out of and can't or don't take care of them properly so there are a lot of used/abused cabbies out there. But when you find a good one, grab it. You won't regret it

easy to put the top down, 5 spd transmission, 6 disc CD changer/sound system, good sized trunk for a small car, enough room for 4 average sized people, fun to drive, excellent gas mileage, peppy performance

the cup holders can't hold anything larger than a 12 oz soda can and the plastic parts on the interior tend to pop off too easily

Cute but terrible
By Brittany

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got my 2001 VW Cabrio as a high school graduation gift two years ago. My dad was so proud that he could get it for me, but now we are very very upset! It's been one thing after another with this car! It may be cute, but the upkeep and all the money going into it is an awful lot of hassle. First both front window don't roll down or up. My AC doesn't work. Timing belt wore before it should have. My seat is broken, my shifter shaft is completely worn. I took it to the dealer two days ago and the price to fix the AC and the shifter shaft was 1900. You'd think because it was German designed you get what you paid for, no. You don't. Don't get this car. it is cute but you are naive if you do.

Awesome!
By Designs11

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is great! It gets great gas mileage, the CD player doesn't skip, the truck is pretty roomy for a small car, and easy to park/maneuver. I bought this car used, but it only had one owner who had all the routine maintenance preformed on time at a VW dealership, so I'm loving it!! There are no mechanical problems and it has almost 70k miles on it now. Great car for the money!! (And it's cute!)

Heated seats, 6 CD player, power locks, windows, etc., Convertible top easy to fold down, illuminated dash!, locking glove box

Flip key, CD player in the car rather than the trunk. Automatic lights at night.

the best car i have ever owned
By lori

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i love this car i have not had to many issues with it just the normal things that can go wrong. if it is maintained it will run forever

convertiable

no improvements

Love It!
By Tracey Hamiter

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great fun car. The only reason I have considered selling it is I am disabled and need money to pay for hospital bills otherwise it would stay a member of the family. Just last week I was offered a 1998 red corvette in pristine condition. The reason gas and I had to say no.

The convertible top I love to get some light and fresh air. I also like the reliability and is so cute and this gls has an automatic transmission Great! and a big trunk,and loaded.

I really do not really like that the passenger side cannot be opened by a key