2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:
Great car
By Steph on 05/04/10 11:58 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first car and I couldn't be happier with it. I learned how to drive stick-shift on it and the 5 speed is fun to drive. I have no problems with it breaking down, but it's not a winter car. My top leaks when it rains hard and if I go through too big of a puddle the car freaks out.

Never again will I buy a VW
By Denise on 01/18/10 10:49 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a horrible car! We've had nothing but problems. We fix one, then another quits working. We get water in the floorboard - we've replaced the seals and top - still wet. All the dashboard lights light up - don't light up. The manual lock on the driver's side quit working and, of course, so did the remote. That's another $500-$1000. Sometimes the key will start the engine, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it leaks, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I could go on and on - bottomline, stay away!

Ugh.
By E. on 12/29/09 08:41 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am so frustrated w/his vehicle. I purchased this car used in 2006. It has been nothing but problems since day 1. I don't spend less then $1k every time it goes in the shop. Everything that could break, bust, freeze, etc. has. I've lost numerous hubcaps (strange I realize), one day while driving the interior light switch just fell off, another day the glove box handle popped off & landed in the floor board. The interior fabric is like velcro, it literally takes me an hour to vacuum. Of course everyone thinks it's 'cute'...I remember when I thought that too, now I'd love to drive it into a concrete wall.

Don't buy this car
By Sharon on 01/31/09 17:57 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had to replace the exhaust system, the ignition coil, the transmission, broken glove box, the mass air flow sensor is giving me issues now, and this summer the throttle sensor needed replacement. I think the air-flow and throttle are related problems. Basically my engine light never goes off. I had to replace the transmission-5 speed at 59,000 and VW would not honor the powertrain warranty of 100,000 said it was a wear and tear item. I know there is more that I'm leaving out. The car needs a journal just to keep track of repairs. My mechanics feel sorry for me. I have been stranded or broken down about 8 times with this car. Its a shame because it was my 1st new car. Bad experience..

Just bought yesterday!
By kourtnie on 07/25/08 06:40 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So far I love my cabbie even though it is my first REAL day with it, I love the fact that it is a convertible, and the black interior is one of my favorites, it has more interior room than my old Integra in the back which is a plus for me, I hate the fact that EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING is manual! The windows, the top, I mean it's a 2001 not a 1974! It could have been made a little more up to date.

My Easter Basket
By MissMix on 01/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I cant decide if I love this car or hate it. Snow and tractor trailers are the enemy! Once the warranty expired, the problems started. MANY electrical problems and a coolant leak, so far. If Volkswagens are so reliable, why is the warranty so short? The back seat is roomy, but the front isnt. Try starting it without the wipers coming on! The interior panel material wear too quickly (door handles). With a 2.slOw, it barely gets out of its own way. Not the car to not someone off in! FAR too much wind noise on the highway. Easy parking and very easy to "transform". With the top down, it looks like an Easter basket!

Cabrio GL
By Strebor on 06/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I used to own a 12 year old VW convertible. I loved that car so much that I bought a new one. It is fun to drive with the top down. Love it. Love it. Love it.

A lot of fun to drive
By Creole on 05/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second convertible and I am pleased with my purchase on the 2001 GL model. I totally recommend this vehicle.