Used 2001 Volkswagen Cabrio GL Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:

Great car
By Steph

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first car and I couldn't be happier with it. I learned how to drive stick-shift on it and the 5 speed is fun to drive. I have no problems with it breaking down, but it's not a winter car. My top leaks when it rains hard and if I go through too big of a puddle the car freaks out.

The 5-speed transmission and convertible top. It's perfect for San Diego summers and I always turn heads when I'm driving it. I smile every time I get behind the wheel.

Bigger cup holders would be nice, and the interior door handles peel. Other than that it's perfect.

Never again will I buy a VW
By Denise

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a horrible car! We've had nothing but problems. We fix one, then another quits working. We get water in the floorboard - we've replaced the seals and top - still wet. All the dashboard lights light up - don't light up. The manual lock on the driver's side quit working and, of course, so did the remote. That's another $500-$1000. Sometimes the key will start the engine, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it leaks, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I could go on and on - bottomline, stay away!

Ugh.
By E.

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am so frustrated w/his vehicle. I purchased this car used in 2006. It has been nothing but problems since day 1. I don't spend less then $1k every time it goes in the shop. Everything that could break, bust, freeze, etc. has. I've lost numerous hubcaps (strange I realize), one day while driving the interior light switch just fell off, another day the glove box handle popped off & landed in the floor board. The interior fabric is like velcro, it literally takes me an hour to vacuum. Of course everyone thinks it's 'cute'...I remember when I thought that too, now I'd love to drive it into a concrete wall.

Fits into parking spaces well. Gas mileage is terrific.

Far too many to list.

Don't buy this car
By Sharon

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had to replace the exhaust system, the ignition coil, the transmission, broken glove box, the mass air flow sensor is giving me issues now, and this summer the throttle sensor needed replacement. I think the air-flow and throttle are related problems. Basically my engine light never goes off. I had to replace the transmission-5 speed at 59,000 and VW would not honor the powertrain warranty of 100,000 said it was a wear and tear item. I know there is more that I'm leaving out. The car needs a journal just to keep track of repairs. My mechanics feel sorry for me. I have been stranded or broken down about 8 times with this car. Its a shame because it was my 1st new car. Bad experience..

When the engine is running right the car is spunky with the 5 speed. Expect to spend about an average of 1000.00 a year in repairs after 50,000 miles. The only reason I am suffering through this pain is because it's paid off but if it continues I have to get rid of this car.

Beware.. the sensors that went out of this car were all after 25,000 warranty.. the throttle cost 500.00 to get fixed and that was only 120.0 for labor. Sensor was 350.00. I think I may need to replace mass airflow now and priced it at Autozone for 250.0 but found on net for 120.0.

Just bought yesterday!
By kourtnie

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So far I love my cabbie even though it is my first REAL day with it, I love the fact that it is a convertible, and the black interior is one of my favorites, it has more interior room than my old Integra in the back which is a plus for me, I hate the fact that EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING is manual! The windows, the top, I mean it's a 2001 not a 1974! It could have been made a little more up to date.

Interior design, convertible top, gas mileage so far to work was awesome, since I drive 50 highway miles to work!

Cup holders, everything auto. which I cant really say since in 2001 they made the GLX with all of those feautres.