2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:
Love this car!
By kalba on 07/11/11 08:34 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car a year ago with 100,000 miles on it expecting that with mileage like that, it may need some maintenance and repairs. I have driven it about 17000 miles and all I have had to do is change the oil and give her a tune up. It really hasn't given me any major trouble and it is so much fun to drive. My advice would be to shop carefully and find one that appears to have been well taken care of. I looked at at least 10 of these before I chose this one. It seems to be one of those cars that young drivers beat the heck out of and can't or don't take care of them properly so there are a lot of used/abused cabbies out there. But when you find a good one, grab it. You won't regret it

Cute but terrible
By Brittany on 07/14/10 16:09 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got my 2001 VW Cabrio as a high school graduation gift two years ago. My dad was so proud that he could get it for me, but now we are very very upset! It's been one thing after another with this car! It may be cute, but the upkeep and all the money going into it is an awful lot of hassle. First both front window don't roll down or up. My AC doesn't work. Timing belt wore before it should have. My seat is broken, my shifter shaft is completely worn. I took it to the dealer two days ago and the price to fix the AC and the shifter shaft was 1900. You'd think because it was German designed you get what you paid for, no. You don't. Don't get this car. it is cute but you are naive if you do.

Awesome!
By Designs11 on 10/18/09 14:29 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is great! It gets great gas mileage, the CD player doesn't skip, the truck is pretty roomy for a small car, and easy to park/maneuver. I bought this car used, but it only had one owner who had all the routine maintenance preformed on time at a VW dealership, so I'm loving it!! There are no mechanical problems and it has almost 70k miles on it now. Great car for the money!! (And it's cute!)

the best car i have ever owned
By lori on 05/11/09 13:47 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i love this car i have not had to many issues with it just the normal things that can go wrong. if it is maintained it will run forever

Love It!
By Tracey Hamiter on 05/31/08 08:02 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great fun car. The only reason I have considered selling it is I am disabled and need money to pay for hospital bills otherwise it would stay a member of the family. Just last week I was offered a 1998 red corvette in pristine condition. The reason gas and I had to say no.

My Cabrio ~ fun without headaches!
By Martha on 10/20/07 09:14 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had sooo many hours of fun in this zippy little convertible. Love the 5 speed transmission, lots of fun to drive. After 96000 miles, I can honestly say this car has been a dream in that it required only regular routine maintenance (oil changes, scheduled tuneups), & at about 60000 miles it needed a new muffler/pipe, & at 95000 miles two belts showed wear so I replaced them & (preventatively) the timing belt. Other than that, this car has just taken care of itself. :) The seats are a little small for someone with a bigger fanny, but otherwise comfy. The covering on the interior door handles peeled early on and i was not happy with how VW handled that. But that was the only glitch.

Don't believe the VW hype
By Barrwiese on 07/05/07 12:45 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a money pit. Get ready to pay. The door handles, the mass airflow sensor (a ten year part), the catalytic converter, handle from the glove box, 3 mufflers, heated mirrors and the entire exhaust system went and had to be replaced. The windows go up and down at will, the "dealer disabled" security system locks itself at will like when I am driving, which sets off the alarm, the check engine light comes on constantly and my mechanic shudders when he seems me coming.

Good deal!!!
By bonded2u on 05/29/07 11:59 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

All around great bang for the buck.

Cabrio Fooled Me
By Meliz on 09/06/06 19:20 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Don't be folled by its cute appearance. There is a reason why VW no longer makes these. It is strange how all the problems started to occur on mine right after the 25,000 mile factory warranty was up. I have never had a car before that has needed a new exhaust system at 25,000 miles, not to mention new brakes immediately after that. In addition, be warned that you can only get engine coolant for this car at a VW or Audi dealer service departments, which can also lead to expensive repairs and a long wait to even get an appointment. For those of you who are winter drivers, the Cabrio for sure is not the car you want to deal with snow and slush in.

Not Happy
By Anne Avidon on 06/27/06 08:35 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I made the mistake of not purchasing the extended warranty and it has cost me at least $6,000 to repair my car in the 6 years I have owned it. The mass airflow sensor has gone twice, I've had problems with the doors, windows, pistons in the convertible roof, and I have just had to pay $1,500 for a leak detection pump, serpentine belt and starter coil. Each time the dealer has to run a diagnostic, it costs another $94. Although I really like the car, if I had known how much it would cost to repair at the time I purchased it, I would not have made the same decision.