2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:
Buyer be mindfull it's 10 yrs old
By catk2 on 09/26/11 09:49 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my car for 5 years just paid it off a year ago. Now the problems have started. Everything was wonderful, at first. 3 days before christmas the window fell down and i couldn't bring it back up.The cost to fix it was $500. My starter gets stuck sometimes i have not fixed it yet it will cost me $450. Now this week my air went out and it cost me $650. Then the back window came off the convertible and no one can just fix it, i need a new top and window which is going to cost me $1400. Very bad week. I love my car but its costing me a lot right now and i wonder what will break next?

Love this car!
By kalba on 07/11/11 08:34 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car a year ago with 100,000 miles on it expecting that with mileage like that, it may need some maintenance and repairs. I have driven it about 17000 miles and all I have had to do is change the oil and give her a tune up. It really hasn't given me any major trouble and it is so much fun to drive. My advice would be to shop carefully and find one that appears to have been well taken care of. I looked at at least 10 of these before I chose this one. It seems to be one of those cars that young drivers beat the heck out of and can't or don't take care of them properly so there are a lot of used/abused cabbies out there. But when you find a good one, grab it. You won't regret it

Crap
By kyra.herman on 07/24/10 17:51 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This was my dream car now it's my nightmare. It's possessed. The Windows never want to do what you want them to do. The car sometimes turns on with out the ac working then you have to restart it. The horn honks itself when its too hot out and its just nickel and diming me. It's cute and I can put the top down and I don't owe anything on it so thats the only reason I'm still putting up with this car but as soon as I get my promotion its gone.

Cute but terrible
By Brittany on 07/14/10 16:09 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got my 2001 VW Cabrio as a high school graduation gift two years ago. My dad was so proud that he could get it for me, but now we are very very upset! It's been one thing after another with this car! It may be cute, but the upkeep and all the money going into it is an awful lot of hassle. First both front window don't roll down or up. My AC doesn't work. Timing belt wore before it should have. My seat is broken, my shifter shaft is completely worn. I took it to the dealer two days ago and the price to fix the AC and the shifter shaft was 1900. You'd think because it was German designed you get what you paid for, no. You don't. Don't get this car. it is cute but you are naive if you do.

Great car
By Steph on 05/04/10 11:58 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first car and I couldn't be happier with it. I learned how to drive stick-shift on it and the 5 speed is fun to drive. I have no problems with it breaking down, but it's not a winter car. My top leaks when it rains hard and if I go through too big of a puddle the car freaks out.

I love my car
By vwdriver on 04/18/10 20:18 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this car for 9 years and counting. Finding parking is easy due to its size and maneuverability. The only time I ever had any trouble with it was when I took it to a non-VW specialist for a simple oil change. They told me that I need to fix all sorts of things and 2 weeks later my car started leaking oil. I took it back to my VW specialist. It took him a few times to figure our what was wrong but he did not charge me additional when I had to take it back. He fixed it and I haven't had any problems since. Bottom line: if you don't take it to the dealer, take it to someone that specializes in VWs. If I need to get a new car, I will get a VW just so I can keep my mechanic.

Don't be fooled by it's look, its bad!
By Collin on 03/07/10 16:02 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love convertibles and thought that the Cabrio would be perfect for me. This is my second one and this one is still nothing but problems. I have owned this car for about 2.5 years, and have been stranded about 7 times. Everything in the car is going and I cannot handle it anymore. I have spent more fixing this car than what it's worth today (around $4,000) However, the car does does get about 35 MPG on the highway, and I love the options it comes with. DO NOT BUY IT!

Never again will I buy a VW
By Denise on 01/18/10 10:49 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a horrible car! We've had nothing but problems. We fix one, then another quits working. We get water in the floorboard - we've replaced the seals and top - still wet. All the dashboard lights light up - don't light up. The manual lock on the driver's side quit working and, of course, so did the remote. That's another $500-$1000. Sometimes the key will start the engine, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it leaks, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I could go on and on - bottomline, stay away!

Ugh.
By E. on 12/29/09 08:41 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am so frustrated w/his vehicle. I purchased this car used in 2006. It has been nothing but problems since day 1. I don't spend less then $1k every time it goes in the shop. Everything that could break, bust, freeze, etc. has. I've lost numerous hubcaps (strange I realize), one day while driving the interior light switch just fell off, another day the glove box handle popped off & landed in the floor board. The interior fabric is like velcro, it literally takes me an hour to vacuum. Of course everyone thinks it's 'cute'...I remember when I thought that too, now I'd love to drive it into a concrete wall.

Don't Buy This Car
By Never Again on 11/29/09 13:28 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'll never buy a Volkswagen again. Door handles, glove box, knobs falling off/melting, even though handles have been replaced 3 times. Ditto for random indicator lights and windows that go up and down whenever. Worst though, are the tie rods. First replaced when car was 3ish. Four years later, we're sitting in a hotel 4 hours from home waiting o/n for new TRs to be delivered tomorrow b/c car is un-drivable - at a total cost of $1K for hotel, rental car and repair. And we'll have to drive back in a week to pick up the car once it's fixed. Car sits in garage 9 of 10 days and is used only for highway miles, so our driving not at fault. Our mechanics unanimously agree car is total crap.