Used 2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:

STAY AWAY
By smartin6

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

this is the worst car i have ever encountered. i bought mine used less than a year ago with 89K miles, now at 94K and i have put almost $3000 into this car. Tie Rods, axels, timing belt, windows, distributor, engine coils, & spark plugs have been replaced, power steering fluid leaks badly, engine heats up and needs new coolant all the time. car runs out of time often and it costs about $70-90 for a vw specialist to work on the car. this thing is a death trap, i wouldnt even take a free one. BUYER BEWARE. glove box and rear upholder breaks easily and front upholder only big enough for a soda can. Also now i need to use fully synthetic oil to keep the engine from misfiring/ coils going bad.

Favorite Features

it's cute but not worth how much it costs to upkeep the car.

Suggested Improvements

burn them all/ take off market. piece of shit car in my opinion, very bitter broke college student here that has to pay to have my car fixed constantly, along with paying rent and tuition.

Buyer be mindfull it's 10 yrs old
By catk2

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my car for 5 years just paid it off a year ago. Now the problems have started. Everything was wonderful, at first. 3 days before christmas the window fell down and i couldn't bring it back up.The cost to fix it was $500. My starter gets stuck sometimes i have not fixed it yet it will cost me $450. Now this week my air went out and it cost me $650. Then the back window came off the convertible and no one can just fix it, i need a new top and window which is going to cost me $1400. Very bad week. I love my car but its costing me a lot right now and i wonder what will break next?

Favorite Features

I love the color, it looks brand new, its so much fun to ride in. Having the top down is the best.

Suggested Improvements

No glueing the windows to the cloth tops. Too many little plastic pieces that break off.

Love this car!
By kalba

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car a year ago with 100,000 miles on it expecting that with mileage like that, it may need some maintenance and repairs. I have driven it about 17000 miles and all I have had to do is change the oil and give her a tune up. It really hasn't given me any major trouble and it is so much fun to drive. My advice would be to shop carefully and find one that appears to have been well taken care of. I looked at at least 10 of these before I chose this one. It seems to be one of those cars that young drivers beat the heck out of and can't or don't take care of them properly so there are a lot of used/abused cabbies out there. But when you find a good one, grab it. You won't regret it

Favorite Features

easy to put the top down, 5 spd transmission, 6 disc CD changer/sound system, good sized trunk for a small car, enough room for 4 average sized people, fun to drive, excellent gas mileage, peppy performance

Suggested Improvements

the cup holders can't hold anything larger than a 12 oz soda can and the plastic parts on the interior tend to pop off too easily

Crap
By kyra.herman

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This was my dream car now it's my nightmare. It's possessed. The Windows never want to do what you want them to do. The car sometimes turns on with out the ac working then you have to restart it. The horn honks itself when its too hot out and its just nickel and diming me. It's cute and I can put the top down and I don't owe anything on it so thats the only reason I'm still putting up with this car but as soon as I get my promotion its gone.

Favorite Features

it's a convertible that's the only reason i like it

Suggested Improvements

everything thank god they don't make this car anymore

Cute but terrible
By Brittany

2001 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got my 2001 VW Cabrio as a high school graduation gift two years ago. My dad was so proud that he could get it for me, but now we are very very upset! It's been one thing after another with this car! It may be cute, but the upkeep and all the money going into it is an awful lot of hassle. First both front window don't roll down or up. My AC doesn't work. Timing belt wore before it should have. My seat is broken, my shifter shaft is completely worn. I took it to the dealer two days ago and the price to fix the AC and the shifter shaft was 1900. You'd think because it was German designed you get what you paid for, no. You don't. Don't get this car. it is cute but you are naive if you do.