decent quality and great mileage
By boatbum on
2000 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible
Frankly I am a bit stumped by some of the other reviews. This little car is pretty sound and easy to maintain. Granted, if you try to take it to a shop that is now VW savvy, you might end up with a major headache. I recently replaced the waterpump - got quotes from $475 with timing belt replacement to $1400 for just the waterpump. Same with the brakes - Midas quoted $1200 but I got them done at a small local German imports shop for $250. Do your maintenance and the car is fine. It is fun to drive, fits me easily (I am 6'5) and it gets great gas mileage. I have owned alot of convertibles and this one is very practical and dependable if you maintain it.
Favorite Features
Convertible top, interior room, visibility when driving with the top up, gas mileage. Also - the availability to disable the power top and use it manually once the power hydraulics do out.
Suggested Improvements
Terrible cup holder location. VW dealer ripoffs on parts. The local dealers are charging 2x retail for parts - shop online and save massive $$. A different method for routing the cooling system. What should be simple maintenance becomes a chore.